Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ingress  (Read 2669 times)

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Ingress
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »

I got an invite back in June from Sarcastica, and now my life has been taken over by this game. From Wikipedia,
"Ingress is a near-real time augmented reality massively multiplayer online video game created by Niantic Labs, a start up within Google, currently for Android devices but expected to be available for Apple's iOS in 2014. The game has a complex science fiction back story which Niantic is revealing in segments.
The gameplay consists of establishing "portals" at places of public art, landmarks, cenotaphs, etc., and linking them to create virtual triangular fields over geographic areas. Progress in the game is measured by the number of Mind Units, i.e. people, nominally controlled by each faction (as illustrated on the Intel Map). The necessary links between portals may range from meters to kilometers, or to hundreds of kilometers in operations of considerable logistical complexity."

Yes, it may just be a way for Google to collect even more data about us, but at this point, does that really matter? What is great about this game is that I can't sit on the couch or at the computer desk and play for hours on end - I have to leave the house to play. I work downtown, and there are over 80 portals within 2 blocks of my office. I have a reason to leave my desk at lunch to walk around hacking the portals. If the portal is owned by the other faction, I'll attack it (through my phone - although the visual of me physically attacking a historical marker is somewhat humorous). I was leveling up during the summer, so I'd walk an hour after work collecting experience.

This past weekend was one of the organized events - an anomaly based in Atlanta with a remote site here. The goal was to control the most portals within a designated area during certain measurement times. Between the morning prep work and the afternoon event (plus my scheduled 5k training walk), I walked over 10 miles on Saturday. I've met other players in the area, as well as those that came in just for the event.

The game is now in open beta (with general release scheduled for December), if you want to give it a try. It's downloadable from the Play store.

Sarcastica and I are both in the resistance faction, if you want a suggestion for which faction to pick.

Plus, I haven't played Candy Crush or any Zynga game in over a month! However, my DVR only has 3% free space since I haven't been home to watch much TV.
also known as rcc94

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: Ingress
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »

That is a wicked cool spin on the MMOG.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »

Sounds cool.  I have to stay away from these games, or I get obsessed and that's all I'll want to do.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »

I just have to keep a balance of more walking rather than more driving. It has been good to visit local towns that I had never been to before, even though they are within an hour's drive.
also known as rcc94

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »

Someone tried to explain it to me a few weeks ago.  It seemed like fun, and pretty genius.  Not just the game itself but even the things around the game.  I really like the way they put advertising "in game" like Jamba Juices and Targets are all portals. 

All I could think about though, was all the lawsuit potential.  Like someone submits the paranoid neighbor's property for a portal.  Some kid goes out there, gets shot by paranoid neighbor.

Bunch of guys trying to coordinate something, only they have to get to a portal before some other group does.  They're driving too fast, kill someone.

Some oddball decides the game is real.  Starts sitting in his Jamba Juice 8 hours a day to protect.  Some other guy comes in there, spends about 30 minutes punching stuff into his phone.  Crazy guy shoots the other dude.  Turns out dude was just texting.

If you're going to build a really addicting sort of game (which apparently Ingress is) you want the nutballs who will take it way too seriously inside their houses, not out on the streets.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:28:59 AM »

According to the Terms of Service, players must be at least 18, but I've seen parents ignore that rule and allow their kids to play. If you have a key to a portal, you don't have to be present to recharge, so hopefully that will eliminate one of the possible bad outcomes. And a portal can be taken down in about a minute, as the game is definitely weighted towards attackers.

Portal submissions are reviewed, but there are home based portals that have been approved. There is also the opportunity to report bad portals, which is done for those home based portals.

The new twist is that there are 13 shards across the world that the two sides are to direct to 2 specific portals - Green to San Francisco and Blue to Buenos Ares. Each hour, the piece moves along a link to another portal. So far 5 shards have been  found in NYC, Berlin, Moscow, Vietnam, and the west coast of India. We have until December 14 to do this. There is already quite a bit of team work in this game, which this task definitely requires.

The other thing the game has done has caused me to start using Google+ regularly (along with Hangouts).
also known as rcc94

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »

I don't know that much about the game, just what the dude told me.  But my thinking wasn't along the lines of "Boy, these guys most be totally irresponsible to put this game out" but more like "Gee, it's too bad you can't do something that's so clever and seems like so much fun without it getting ruined."

I don't really have a problem with Google collecting information from the game either.  You don't have to play.  Plus the information can be used to improve things like Google maps and Google Earth which is helpful to all of us.  Less of a Google+ fan, but I probably trust them more than FB.  And again, Google+ actually offers you the ability to collaborate in different ways.   It's not just like FB shoving likes in your face (and then you shoving that you liked it to others).

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:22:40 PM »

I'm still going strong with Ingress. Walked 4.5 miles on Saturday and another 4 yesterday! It has now been released for iOS, as well. Let me know if you decide to try it out, as I can get a badge if I recruit 3 new players before August 3.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticproject.ingress&hl=en
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ingress/id576505181?mt=8

It's amazing how much I have learned about Raleigh from visiting all the historical locations that are portals.
also known as rcc94

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »

I think someone put a portal on the corner of the street where I live.  It looks like it is in front of Visual Arts Studio.  There were a bunch of meganerds milling around with phones and ipads mashing buttons on Saturday.

I was not impressed.  One of them almost got run over.  The others were standing in two or three groups on the sidewalk so engrossed in their game strategy and their phones that they made everyone else walk around them, which always annoys me.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 12:31:09 AM »

Then you'll want to avoid downtown Richmond on August 9, as an anomaly is being held there - which means a couple hundred agents staring at their phones will be milling around. On the other hand, that means I'm coming to Richmond! I may come up on Friday to do my other time suck (genealogy), so maybe we could meet up for dinner Friday night.
also known as rcc94

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »

Yeah, I should be free that Friday if you want to meet up.  Let me know, and choose a place you want to eat.

adyonka

• Administrator
  • Tourist
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »

Damn you Ella. I'm hooked.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »

Yeah, I should be free that Friday if you want to meet up.  Let me know, and choose a place you want to eat.
Check your pms.
also known as rcc94

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 09:50:27 AM »

Damn you Ella. I'm hooked.
YAY!!!!!!!!!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »

I'm still holding out on this. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up