Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Esquire Theater to show The Interview  (Read 3815 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Esquire Theater to show The Interview
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »

Right.  No one tells me what to do, especially you.

You weren't going to see this movie.  But now you are going to waste two hours on it.

I don't care about this movie, and still don't.

Which one if us is allowing a silly N Korean dictator to impact their life?

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »

Right.  No one tells me what to do, especially you.

You weren't going to see this movie.  But now you are going to waste two hours on it.

I don't care about this movie, and still don't.

Which one if us is allowing a silly N Korean dictator to impact their life?

How I spend my time has never been, isn't now, and never will be your concern--that's my decision.  And anyone who thinks a bloodthirsty tyrant is simply silly is extremely delusional. 

Responding to you is a waste of time.  You obviously need to see a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist to deal with your anger issues but I don't care whether you choose to do that or not.  I'm not going to respond to any more of your nonsense.  Fuck off.

I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »

And anyone who thinks a bloodthirsty tyrant is simply silly is extremely delusional. 

Says the man who intends to see a slapstick comedy about Kim Jong Un. 

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »

And anyone who thinks a bloodthirsty tyrant is simply silly is extremely delusional. 

Says the man who intends to see a slapstick comedy about Kim Jong Un.

Which the dictator himself wants to forbid me from seeing--not that I expect you to understand that.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »

I understand that giving $15 to Sony accomplishes very little except to enrich Sony. 

PBS did a Frontline special on North Korea earlier this year.  They are non-profit.  Why not watch that show, and then donate $15 to them instead?  After all, they made a super-depressing show about conditions there that no one wants to see because it's uber-depressing but it it gives you much closer to the real scoop.  It's also something that Sony is unlikely to ever do because there's no money in it for them.

Or you know, just go to a strip club.  Kim Jong-Un hates that, too.  Read a bible.  Go to Kinko's and print up a big sign that says "Fuck Kim Jong-Un" and plant that in your yard.

I mean, I'm not saying anyone is obligated to do anything.  If you think the movie is funny and you were going to see it anyway, then go for it.  It's not like it's bad to see the movie.   But if your intention is really to do something about the situation in North Korea, or even the perceived lack of freedom in the US there are much, much more directly beneficial ways to spend your $15.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »

for whatever it's worth, we (my kids and I) were planning all along to go see the movie on Christmas day. When it was announced this was canceled, we were in a bit of bind, as we'd have to find something else we all three agreed on. Then came the reversal, and the media hype with it, and we were pretty psyched to go see it after all, and whatever political side affect that carried with it (if any) was just gravy. As I mentioned before, I have never seen the Esquire main theater sold out in my many years of going there, so that was fun. And the crowd was REALLY into to movie. Great movie watching experience.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 07:27:50 AM »

I have to think this is my favorite Esquire Theater/"The Interview" related story:

http://deadline.com/2014/12/the-interview-scalping-plan-backfires-man-wants-his-650-back-1201337622/

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »

I have to think this is my favorite Esquire Theater/"The Interview" related story:

http://deadline.com/2014/12/the-interview-scalping-plan-backfires-man-wants-his-650-back-1201337622/

Fucking imbecile.  Who the hell ever heard of getting a refund on movie tickets?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »

Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »

So let me get this straight: because his scalping scheme backfired, he was a REFUND from the Esquire of the tickets he was going to scalp?

Had his scalping scheme worked, was he planning on sharing the profits with the Esquire?

Hey it's called "market economy": you win some, you lose some. In this case, stop whining, take your loss and move on.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »

It sure sounds from the comments like a lot of people in Richmond have strong feelings about this particular theater.

Care to weigh in?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 05:21:49 PM »

I think almost everyone likes the Byrd.

Yeah, the seats are horrible and everyone jokes about them.  And the projectors are dirty and the place is in a mild state of disrepair.  But OTOH, a dude rises up from under the floor playing an organ and gives you a 15 minute show.  The ushers and concession workers are all dressed in crazy-extravagant vintage theaterwear.  The A/C is powered by an underground spring in the basement!  Even falling apart slightly, the place is still amazing and beautiful.  And it's still fairly packed Saturday nights just like it has been for 80+ years. 

You could pay your $1.99, walk around a bit, catch the organ show and leave five minutes into the movie and it's still worth it just to have seen it and sort of participated in a bit of living history.

Guy who runs the place is a obviously a bit nutty, but you probably have to be to run that place.  I don't know.  He seems alright to me.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 07:15:20 PM »

So while everyone is rushing to the theatres to support Sony's fight for free speech, Sony is busy using the "free speech" to rip off artists. It appears they used a song in the movie without actually getting the rights to the song. The same company that threatened basically the entire internet over the leak of their documents. As I said, going to see the Interview in no way is a win for free speech.

http://gizmodo.com/artist-suing-sony-for-unauthorized-use-of-her-song-in-t-1675630662
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up