Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 movies in 2014  (Read 27569 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: 50 movies in 2014
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »

Well that's why you're not in the movie business.  Box office is only a small part of movie take... you're not considering DVD/Blu-Ray sales, rental revenues, contracts with Amazon, Netflix, MGo, broadcast revenue etc.  There's still plenty to be made on Mitty.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »

I have to agree with euro.  Walter Mitty is a flop.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »

Well that's why you're not in the movie business.  Box office is only a small part of movie take... you're not considering DVD/Blu-Ray sales, rental revenues, contracts with Amazon, Netflix, MGo, broadcast revenue etc.  There's still plenty to be made on Mitty.
I wasn't suggesting there isn't plenty to be made on Mitty. My only point was that IN THE THEATRES it has not done well at all, far below expectations, and certainly it blows the mind when you see how strongly Wolf of Wall Street is doing in the theatres, for all the reasons I mentioned in my first email.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »

Special effects= international $$$$$$$

But yeah, I might not call Walter Mitty a flop, but definitely Fox is probably disappointed.  It'll end up making a bit of money, just not a lot.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »

Original projection on Walter Mitty was for it to be an Oscar contender.  Then that was downgraded a bit.  They said it would project to make about $90 million domestically.  It's going to have to chug to make $60 million. 

It has done alright internationally, but coming from the guy who's done NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM, I'm sure they were expecting quite a bit more commercially... and probably critically as well.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »

3. Upstream Color - Netflix - 8.5

This movie is hard to get a handle on.  You are dropped into the middle of some weird shit, and it pretty much stays weird throughout.  There are some good performances, and lots of artful close-ups of inanimate objects.  That said, it's not exactly impossible to figure out, and it makes you think.  A LOT.  I thought a lot about what it all meant right afterwards, and even after reading a Slate article that pretty much tells you the meaning, I imagine I will remember this film and its meaning for a long time to come.  Considering that I got out of it pretty much what he was going for, the filmmaker nailed it. 

If you like film as high concept art, you will really enjoy this.  If not, give it a hard pass.
Good to read your review. Rogeraw (from the old boards) has recommended it many times to me and it was on his Best of 2013 list, maybe at #1. So, thanks for the reminder and second opinion.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »

Walter Mitty was released against (either opening or already in Theaters)
1) The Wolf of Wall Street
2) American Hustle
3) The Hobbit 2
4) Frozen

That's a lot of competition. Who is Mitty's audience and are they going to pick Mitty? I was thinking that I wanted to see the film but when I saw all of my options I decided to rank it 3rd or 4th in my priority list. I think that happened to a lot of people.

Another thing that happened was that I saw the trailer for Mitty about 86 times and frankly I got really pissed about having to see it over and over and over and over. So now I'm waiting until Netflix... petty, I know, but it's all I can do for their over-instance of marketing.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »

It seemed there were quite a few critics that really liked Walter Mitty, though most seemed to think it sucked.  So divisive more than crappy maybe.

I guess it sounds like it was really a bit arty and maybe even with a mumblecore-ish aspect to it, which does not match at all with the big budget effects, or maybe the comedy you'd expect from Stiller, or the family-fare kind of thing like with those museum movies.

So a lot of people were like NOTHING HAPPENS IN THIS MOVIE, and a few people were like "Hey, it blends some genres and tries to be more than a tentpole billion dollar movie."

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 07:44:32 AM »

3. Upstream Color - Netflix - 8.5

This movie is hard to get a handle on.  You are dropped into the middle of some weird shit, and it pretty much stays weird throughout.  There are some good performances, and lots of artful close-ups of inanimate objects.  That said, it's not exactly impossible to figure out, and it makes you think.  A LOT.  I thought a lot about what it all meant right afterwards, and even after reading a Slate article that pretty much tells you the meaning, I imagine I will remember this film and its meaning for a long time to come.  Considering that I got out of it pretty much what he was going for, the filmmaker nailed it. 

If you like film as high concept art, you will really enjoy this.  If not, give it a hard pass.
Good to read your review. Rogeraw (from the old boards) has recommended it many times to me and it was on his Best of 2013 list, maybe at #1. So, thanks for the reminder and second opinion.

Should say that if someone out there has no intention of seeing this movie, it is worth just reading about to realize that yes, someone made a movie with this plot.  It took me 5+ minutes to summarize to C-Fan in the car the other night.  It nearly defies coherent explanation.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 08:34:12 AM »

You totally have me intrigued, Butter. You make it sound like a movie I'd love, but possibly hate. Need to find out.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »

It was definitely the most boring movie I have seen since Enter The Void.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »

woo hoo, let's get this party started. New to me movies are in bold.

2014 movies:
1. American Hustle good acting, tight story, and incredible set design. However, it didn't do much for me.
2. Two Weeks Notice: still amusing, and something that can be watched while doing other things (i.e. laundry)
3. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
4. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
So I saw these two back-to-back, mostly because I wanted to compare the Legolas of 2002 with the Legolas of 2013. I think they changed his eye color between movies. (Yes, that's what I came away with.) Still really good movies and the Battle of Helm's Deep is incredible.
5. The Proposal- could have been so much better. I wanted more out of this!
6. Saving Mr. Banks Clothing was amazing, the acting incredible- you expect it from Thompson and Hanks, but Colin Farrell was brilliant. And the little girl playing mini-PL Travers was so good, and she had a huge role to play.
7. Talladega Nights: Ricky Bobby for the win!
8. Sweet Home Alabama- I can't help it, I like Reece Witherspoon.

9. This is 40  This is not a good movie. 1.5/5, and it lost a half-point because I thought how can it be bad, it has Paul Rudd?  Paul, you let me down. There was way too much yelling, noone was likeable in it, and oh, yeah, it wasn't funny.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »

It was definitely the most boring movie I have seen since Enter The Void.

It was definitely the weirdest movie I've seen since... DOGTOOTH?  That movie was fucking weird. 

I didn't find this boring, unless you start letting your mind wander during it and lose track of the plot.  Or you become tired of trying to follow it and angry at it for being nearly incomprehensible.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »

I was able to follow the plot okay, and that part of it was interesting.  The story/concept was pretty decent actually.  But yeah, the all the visuals gets kind of tedious.

I would agree that it's worth seeing (and why not it's on streaming Netflix) because it's definitely different and you're not going to waste too much time on it as you'll know in 15 minutes whether you like it or not.  I didn't but I just watched it in 15 minute intervals over a week in bed so when it got boring I just fell asleep so like, bonus.

It was more the way they filmed it where you'd have to look at something trippy for 30 seconds.  Like okay, she's swimming in a pool.  But someone swimming around in a pool grabbing rocks is just not inherently interesting.  I can accept that in the context of the larger plot maybe it's important.  But just try to get the concept across fast and move on.  Like she's in the pool, with a bunch of rocks next to it and dude is like "Hey, what are you doing in that pool picking up rocks?"  Done.  But instead, you get underwater shots of "What is that?  Is that a hand?  No wait, foot.  Oh no, THERE's the hand. Is she grabbing something?  What is that?  Is it a rock?  Yeah, I guess it's a rock."

If you like it, you should see Enter the Void (NOT AROUND KIDS) which has a similar style and bored me tremendously for the same reasons.  By the end of that movie I was screaming at Paz De La Huerta to please just stop having sex and put on some clothes.   When I am desperately fast-fowarding PAST sex scenes instead of TO, that's quite an accomplishment.  And then once I started doing that the movie was over in like 5 seconds.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »

Movies seen in 2014 (new movies in bold):
1. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
2. The Wolverine

Standard comic book action film. Nothing special, nothing horrible, nothing bad or good. I enjoyed it for a random Tuesday night at home.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36   Go Up