Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 movies in 2014  (Read 27551 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: 50 movies in 2014
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »

Movies seen in 2014 (new movies in bold):
1. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
2. The Wolverine

Standard comic book action film. Nothing special, nothing horrible, nothing bad or good. I enjoyed it for a random Tuesday night at home.
What made it slightly better than your standard comic book movie for me was the storyline of Logan dealing with killing Jean. Not that it was done perfectly, but it added some depth of character.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2014, 12:02:50 PM »

Yes, it was nice. But I kept on thinking about Kayla Silverfox, too. What about her? I guess his love for Jean was stronger (and obviously Jean was a more important character) but I liked her more than I liked Jean. And he didn't actually kill Kayla, although in a roundabout way perhaps he did.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2014, 10:31:01 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● West Side Story
2 ● The Weird World of Blowfly
3 ● One Night in Turin
4 ● The Guilt Trip
5 ● The Rutles: All You Need is Cash
6 ● Matt LeTissier: Unbelievable
7 ● World Cup Fever 1966
8 ● Cowboys & Aliens
9 ● Changing Lanes
10 ● Looking for Lenny
11 ● The Sweeney (2012)
12 ● Sleeping Beauty (2001)
13 ● Rock'n'Roll High School
14 ● Au Pair Girls

adding
15 ● American Hustle
Tried hard to be a worthy homage to classic 79's flicks - including a shouting match straight out of "Dog Day Afternoon" - and succeeded with its titilation excesses (Oh to be Amy Adams' nipple tape gaffer) but as a whole disappointed greatly. Nice performances, great period sets, good soundtrack, some humour (both intentional and non) and welcomed cameos... but ultimately it all revolved around a script that was way too weak and predictable.
Opulence. I has it.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:13 AM »

1.) Zu Warriors - A mid-grade martial arts film. Immortals battling unspeakable evil only observed by a single mortal girl who narrates the tale. It's short so that's a plus... and there's really very little story set-up. It is clearly a vehicle for special effects and martial arts-y fighting.
2. Forbidden planet
3. Spaceballs
4. The Hobbit : an unexpected journey (extended edition)
5. Journey for Margaret - Probably not the best movie to watch when I was home with a wicked cold and stuffy head... this movie makes me cry like a baby. I love it.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:14 AM »

Movies from the first half of January (in bold for movies in the theatre)

1. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (Film Movement DVD; 2013 from Taiwan)
2.Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (Esquire Theatre)
3. Wedding Palace (DVD)
4. 9 Star Hotel (DVD; 2007 from Israel)
5. Man Push Cart (DVD)
6. Un Melo Trash (DVD; 2012 from France)
7. August: Osage County (Mariemont Theatre)
8. The We and The I (DVD)
9. The Hangover Part III (DVD)
10. Jayne Mansfield's Car (DVD)
11. Our Brand Is Crisis (DVD)
12. Divorce Corp. (AMC Newport on the Levee)

Long Walk to Freedom is well-intended, I suppose, but strictly a by-the-numbers biopic. Disappointing.

August: Osage County suffers from the over-the-top performance from Meryl "Look! It's me! I'm ACTING!" Streep. Far better IMHO is Julia Roberts.

Divorce Corp. is a biting documentary, taking a look at divorce in the US, a $50 billion/yr industry. After seeing this, you just wanna rip the heads off of family court judges and lawyers alike. And I'm a lawyer myself (although not a divorce lawyer--but I am divorced!). Check it out on DVD if you can.

Other than that, as usual January is proving again to be a dearth of new movies, as the studios are heating and reheating the same movies over and over again.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 11:54:13 AM »

How was this? It's on my list.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »

as usual January is proving again to be a dearth of new movies, as the studios are heating and reheating the same movies over and over again.

Whatever....I, Frankenstein is going to be epic.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »

It could've been a train wreck, and it almost still is, but there are a couple of good scenes in it, and the movie ultimately takes quite a different turn from what I had expected. Kevin Bacon is outright WEIRD (and weird-looking) in this.

I saw it at the library the other day and simply picked it up on a whim. I wouldn't recommend paying for it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »

It could've been a train wreck, and it almost still is, but there are a couple of good scenes in it, and the movie ultimately takes quite a different turn from what I had expected. Kevin Bacon is outright WEIRD (and weird-looking) in this.

I saw it at the library the other day and simply picked it up on a whim. I wouldn't recommend paying for it.
I know I saw it on Netflix at some point (or maybe on a movie channel) and I thought about watching it. Thanks for the review.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2014, 07:07:44 AM »

New to me in bold:

1. Safety Not Guaranteed - Netflix - 4/5
2. Despicable Me 2 - Netflix - 3.5/5
3. Metropolis - Netflix - I can't rate super old movies like that.
4. Broken Flowers - Netflix - 2/5

5. Eagle vs. Shark - Netflix - 4/5

Strange and sweet. Though I didn't find the characters fully convincing, I very much enjoyed watching this.

6. Europa Report - Netflix - 4/5

Not a great film, but I was thoroughly engrossed. I appreciate science fiction that attempts believable realism, like Moon. It's not easy to achieve while maintaining dramatic tension. Sure, this could have been better, but I'll take what I can get.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2014, 07:47:57 PM »

1. The Beach
2. Monster High: 13 Wishes
3. Her - When I left the theater I had the strong urge to head over to the nearest cool kids bar with Arcade Fire on the Pandora and discuss philosophy over a PBR.  The Garden State of a new generation.  It had some good points and interesting concepts, but it bored me to the point of dozing off at one point.  Perhaps I would have liked it a little more if I didn't have to give it my full attention.  It's not horrible, just not worth seeing in the theater.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »

1. AMERICAN HUSTLE - 01/01/14 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Amanda and va_vacious - 3 out of 5
2. ANCHORMAN 2 - 01/05/14 - AMC Barrett Commons 24 w/Gwynner - 2 out of 5
3. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET - 01/11/14 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Greg, Gwynner, Victor, Rick, and Jason - 3 out of 5
4. 21 JUMP STREET - 01/19/14 - Starz - 4 out of 5 - Basically everything about this movie was a fun surprise. LOVED IT.

Fourthisto

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »

1. Blackfish = 3/5 = Well done documentary about how serious effed up SeaWorld is. Sickening, shocking, sad... but well done and for a worthy cause.

2. Upstream Color = 2.5/5 = Since you guys were talking about it... the only reason I finished this one was the cinematography, I thought it was far too slow to remain interesting and it took three different watching sessions to get through it.

3. Swimming Pool = 2.5/5 = There certainly are a lot of boob shots in this movie, but it was supposed to be a thriller and that didn't really ever pan out. The ending was interesting, however, but other than that it's pretty dull.

4. Crystal Fairy = 2/5 = This has an 83% rating on rotten tomatoes and I have no idea how. Oh wait, it had an 83%, now it's down to 82% since Friday. The free fall begins. Don't watch this, it's pretty damn awful. The critics that liked this must be on mescaline.

5. the Sapphires = 3/5 = It's basically an Aboriginal version of "That Thing You Do", in my opinion, but better - especially since it's based on a true story, and you actually care what happens to these girls.

5. Her = 4.5/5 = Damn, I loved this movie - I got into it way more than I thought I would. (And no, not just because Olivia Wilde and the voice of Scarlett Johansson is in it, just in case my girlfriend ever reads this) I could actually see something similar to the plot of this movie going on in the not-too-distant future. Extremely well done, but what else is to be expected of Spike Jonze?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:30:37 PM by Fourthisto »

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »

1. Spaceballs - Netflix - rewatch
2. Europa Report - Netflix - 6
3. Upstream Color - Netflix - 8.5

4. Her - Cinemark XD, Disney Street, Cincinnati - 8.5

My main problem with this movie is a spoiler: I hate when movies make one member of a couple unlikable and then shortly thereafter they break up.  Seems like Spike took the easy way out in Amy Adams' relationship.  You could tell where the movie was going to end up from the opening 15 minutes or so.  That said, I really enjoyed the future that Spike Jonze envisions here.  A world where more people than not are absorbed in their own little worlds, and interactions with people are few and far between.  Even the place where Theodore works is based on the fact that people in this universe are unable to effectively communicate with each other without a surrogate.

And, this is also a world where future LA looks a lot like Singapore or Tokyo or something.  I don't know if that was intentional, but if it was it wasn't fleshed out very well.  Still there was a lot to like in this film... would vote this movie of the year over either WOLF OF WALL STREET or AMERICAN HUSTLE for sure.

5. Berberian Sound Studio - Netflix - 6

I thought Toby Jones was terrific as the somewhat reserved English sound technician brought in to punch up an odd Italian horror film.  Where the movie was let down was partly due to lack of budget (none of the scenes from the film are ever shown, though maybe this was an artistic choice borne of budget limitations, and the film seems to take place in 3 or 4 sets almost exclusively) and partly due to pacing.  Sure, things seem quite odd for a long time, but it seems that the technician's mental break is almost a switch that is suddenly flipped on.  Even then, there was a lot to like about this film, especially the entire concept, and the last half hour when it becomes more surreal.  It's just a bit of a slog to get there.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:00:34 PM by Butter »

Fourthisto

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »

That said, I really enjoyed the future that Spike Jonze envisions here.  A world where more people than not are absorbed in their own little worlds, and interactions with people are few and far between.  Even the place where Theodore works is based on the fact that people in this universe are unable to effectively communicate with each other without a surrogate.

Yes, this was one part of the movie that really hit home for me... then the lights went up in the theater and everyone got out their cell phones without saying a word to each other...  :o

Great snapshot of where we're headed, really.

But you're right about the spoiler - I called that from early on, that was the only part that I thought wasn't too original.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36   Go Up