Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 movies in 2014  (Read 27567 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: 50 movies in 2014
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »

Kwyj, whatever you do, do NOT show Nora the my little pony game in the app store. It's started to bring the equestria girls into it. E is addicted to the game.

We currently don't have an iOS devices so that won't be too hard for now.  Julie is supposed to be getting an iPhone... I'll make sure to tell her to steer clear of this one.

On the plus side we'll finally be able to get her the BMO app though, which she's been begging for since it first launched.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● West Side Story
2 ● The Weird World of Blowfly
3 ● One Night in Turin
4 ● The Guilt Trip
5 ● The Rutles: All You Need is Cash
6 ● Matt LeTissier: Unbelievable
7 ● World Cup Fever 1966
8 ● Cowboys & Aliens
9 ● Changing Lanes
10 ● Looking for Lenny
11 ● The Sweeney (2012)
12 ● Sleeping Beauty (2001)
13 ● Rock'n'Roll High School

adding
14 ● Au Pair Girls
Nick Drake's sister, nude! A wonderfully sleazy British exploitation flick from the early 70's. My teenage self will just not let many of the scenes 'go', so this gets watched relatively regularly
Opulence. I has it.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 08:05:19 AM »

New to me in bold:

1. Safety Not Guaranteed - Netflix - 4/5

2. Despicable Me 2 - Netflix - 3.5/5

I enjoyed it, but I liked the first one more.

3. Metropolis - Netflix - I can't rate super old movies like that.

I believe yesterday was the anniversary of the release (1927) of the first feature-length sci-fi film, and since it had been in my queue for months I finally broke down and watched it. Underneath the melodramatic storytelling lie all the elements of good science fiction: Social commentary, dystopian future, etc.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »

1.) Zu Warriors - A mid-grade martial arts film. Immortals battling unspeakable evil only observed by a single mortal girl who narrates the tale. It's short so that's a plus... and there's really very little story set-up. It is clearly a vehicle for special effects and martial arts-y fighting.
2. Forbidden planet
3. Spaceballs
4. The Hobbit : an unexpected journey (extended edition)
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »

Extended?  What did they do?  Show them stopping for bathroom breaks?

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 04:19:50 PM »

woo hoo, let's get this party started. New to me movies are in bold.

2014 movies:
1. American Hustle good acting, tight story, and incredible set design. However, it didn't do much for me.
2. Two Weeks Notice: still amusing, and something that can be watched while doing other things (i.e. laundry)
3. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
4. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
So I saw these two back-to-back, mostly because I wanted to compare the Legolas of 2002 with the Legolas of 2013. I think they changed his eye color between movies. (Yes, that's what I came away with.) Still really good movies and the Battle of Helm's Deep is incredible.
5. The Proposal- could have been so much better. I wanted more out of this!
6. Saving Mr. Banks Clothing was amazing, the acting incredible- you expect it from Thompson and Hanks, but Colin Farrell was brilliant. And the little girl playing mini-PL Travers was so good, and she had a huge role to play.

7. Talladega Nights: Ricky Bobby for the win!
8. Sweet Home Alabama- I can't help it, I like Reece Witherspoon.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:24:05 AM by va-vacious »

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

New to me in bold:

1. Safety Not Guaranteed - Netflix - 4/5
2. Despicable Me 2 - Netflix - 3.5/5
3. Metropolis - Netflix - I can't rate super old movies like that.

4. Broken Flowers - Netflix - 2/5

A couple chuckle-worthy moments, but 15 minutes in I was ready for that movie to end.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:44:49 AM by luisterpaul »

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 06:28:26 AM »

Extended?  What did they do?  Show them stopping for bathroom breaks?
HA! No, there's a few extended scenes. Basically, a couple extra songs and another Radagast scene. Nothing that really did anything for the story. Although, it was fun to see the Dwarves goofing off and annoying the Elves.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »

1. Spaceballs - Netflix - rewatch
2. Europa Report - Netflix - 6

Science fiction film imagining a trip to Jupiter's moon Europa which supposedly is one of the most likely places in the solar system to host primordial life.  It has a realistic feel to it and is a really neat setup, and carries the tension really well, but it doesn't pay off quite as well as I was hoping.  But still, for a capital-S Science Fiction movie, it works.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »

1. AMERICAN HUSTLE - 01/01/14 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Amanda and va_vacious - 3 out of 5
2. ANCHORMAN 2 - 01/05/14 - AMC Barrett Commons 24 w/Gwynner - 2 out of 5
3. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET - 01/11/14 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Greg, Gwynner, Victor, Rick, and Jason - 3 out of 5 - Lots of fun. MANY memorable moments. The plot isn't really that important. Go for the ride. Hopefully you don't get angry at some loud talker in front of you and get so enraged that you have to remind yourself that you're not all coked up like the people on screen (like I did).
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »

1. Monster High 13 wishes - I tried to avoid it, but alas I could not.
2. The Heat - Was pretty funny.

3. The Big Year - It was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
4. Raiders of the lost ark - Re-watching on blu-ray.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »

3. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET - 01/11/14 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Greg, Gwynner, Victor, Rick, and Jason - 3 out of 5 - Lots of fun. MANY memorable moments. The plot isn't really that important. Go for the ride. Hopefully you don't get angry at some loud talker in front of you and get so enraged that you have to remind yourself that you're not all coked up like the people on screen (like I did).
I saw it on Christmas Day, and while I sorta enjoyed it (despite it being at least 30-40 min. too long), am I the only one who is baffled by its continuing box office success? $78 mill. through 3 weeks, and staying on strongly. I mean, this is a 3 hour movie, with lots of over the top drugs and sex and nudity (the movie had to make certain cuts to avoid the dreaded X rating). In contrast, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, a much more mainstream-oriented and overall feel-good movie (and which I enjoyed just as much, if not more so, than Wolf) is tanking, with only $52 mill after 3 weeks...

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »

Since when does $52 million constitute tanking?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »

Since when does $52 million constitute tanking?
When the box office expectations were sky-high, and with a production budget of $90 mill (not counting the multi-million marketing dollars spent), then $52 mill. (with a likely final BO take of somewhere around $60-62 mill) is tanking (in my book, anyway).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »

1. Spaceballs - Netflix - rewatch
2. Europa Report - Netflix - 6

3. Upstream Color - Netflix - 8.5

This movie is hard to get a handle on.  You are dropped into the middle of some weird shit, and it pretty much stays weird throughout.  There are some good performances, and lots of artful close-ups of inanimate objects.  That said, it's not exactly impossible to figure out, and it makes you think.  A LOT.  I thought a lot about what it all meant right afterwards, and even after reading a Slate article that pretty much tells you the meaning, I imagine I will remember this film and its meaning for a long time to come.  Considering that I got out of it pretty much what he was going for, the filmmaker nailed it. 

If you like film as high concept art, you will really enjoy this.  If not, give it a hard pass.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36   Go Up