Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: so, what radio station should i listen to?  (Read 8865 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
so, what radio station should i listen to?
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:27:45 PM »

i never took advantage of woxy until i knew it was to be no more.  i don't just want music but dj's talking about the weather and shit and then going off about something music related.  a friend's lady told me boston has a good station
poach eggs, not elephants

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: so, what radio station should i listen to?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »

Did the "you ain't no woxy" thread from the woxy boards get saved anywhere? That thread had a largely exhaustive list of internet radio stations.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »

Amazing Radio is, as the name suggests, amazing. It's the closest thing to WOXY I've found, and Mike Taylor even has an evening show on Thursdays. The only DJ that talks too much is Greg Porter in the afternoons (GMT), but he can be amusingly surreal sometimes. And the phone app lets you choose the time zone you're in and listen to a delayed stream for those across the pond. And it doesn't have adverts. And all of the proceeds from the Amazing Tunes website go straight to the artists.

So basically it's perfect.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:39:42 PM by lutz »

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »

Part of it depends on what you think WOXY was.  If you want something close to what the classic over the air WOXY was, there is nothing closer the The Current. It is public radio out of Minneapolis and they have the old WOXY philosophy of playing anything that is good, regardless of popularity or genre. Plus that's where Barb works, so you get some of the classic WOXY feel when she is on. They aren't super underground with bands that no one has heard of and no one ever will (which is what I equate WOXY to at the end), but the are generally on the cutting edge hitting on bands before they go big (or medium sized in the case of a a lot of indie bands).
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:08:30 AM »

I agree with Dirk.  I'd listen if I could stream at work.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

edro

• Summer Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:49 AM »

I call BBC6 home. For my ears at least, it is the closest thing. I start every morning with Lauren Laverne and then Radcliffe and Maconie.

hubcity

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »

Pssht. Nobody ever remembers the HD2...

(http://wbjb.org/altrok ... where I'm on 5 days a week, 2-7pm ET and we're in the midst of a pledge drive to, among other things, actually go 7x24. Things have changed since our Live365 days.)

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »

Did the "you ain't no woxy" thread from the woxy boards get saved anywhere? That thread had a largely exhaustive list of internet radio stations.
i compiled that list and still have it somewhere, but honestly major chunks of it kind of suck. if you remember it was a catch-all of anyone and everyone's desperate 11th hour suggestions. i'll still look it up though....it's not without merit.

BUT, to answer the question, a smattering of these will get you far:
1) WKNC raleigh- has it all, deep cuts and the obscure that i frequently stop and write down, like woxy used to be.
2) radio k, minneapolis- hit or miss depending on DJ/college student
3) WFUV the alternate side, NY- heavy rotation on the "hits" but a solid sampling of buzzbands and some classics.

i'd also throw in the waiting room (cardiff, wider net that focuses on start-ups), slicing up eyeballs (THE definitive retro spot), and WFMU (just.....craziness).
bongo hard or bongo home

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 05:49:20 AM »

Amazing Media is apparently looking to expand to the US now. You guys should really give Amazing Radio a try - in some ways I think it's actually better than WOXY. More ambitious, certainly.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 08:16:54 AM »

Amazing Media is apparently looking to expand to the US now. You guys should really give Amazing Radio a try - in some ways I think it's actually better than WOXY. More ambitious, certainly.

I looked over their playlist... I have never heard of any of the last 30 songs, and almost none of the bands.  Personally, I need something a little less ambitious.

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »

This station is no comparison to WOXY, but out here in Salt Lake we have a public funded station, 90.9 KRCL. Depending on the time of day, they play some pretty decent stuff. Here is a link http://playlist.krcl.org/

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 11:12:29 AM »

I looked over their playlist... I have never heard of any of the last 30 songs, and almost none of the bands.  Personally, I need something a little less ambitious.
Wow, you must be really out of touch if you haven't heard of the likes of Royal Blood, Glass Animals and Poliša. Their slogan is "You heard it here first", not "Top 40 Corporate Radio" ;)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »

I haven't heard of them either, but that's not a deterrent for me. :)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 01:39:05 PM »

Wow, you must be really out of touch if you haven't heard of the likes of Royal Blood, Glass Animals and Poliša. Their slogan is "You heard it here first", not "Top 40 Corporate Radio" ;)
'

I've heard of Poliša of those three and that's it.  I think we've had this discussion before and at some time there is just a point for people at which it's not worth it to try to keep up anymore, especially now that there is literally so much new music.  I keep up a little with truly new music, but not a ton.  But I would probably be more apt to do it if the ratio were more like 50% songs/bands I already know, 50% ones that I don't... rather than a ratio of like 1/99.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

Isn't that kind of the point of a good radio station, though? To serve you the best in new music so that you don't have to wade through everything.

Also, once you've been listening for a couple of weeks you'll be surprised how quickly it becomes 50% bands you know and 50% unknowns. Gotta start somewhere!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up