Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: so, what radio station should i listen to?  (Read 8930 times)

TayFo

• City Elder
Re: so, what radio station should i listen to?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »

WNKU has made a format change? When did this happen? what is the new format? I rarely listen(ed) to WNKU.
Just before Sledge started working there.

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »

The format changes aren't perfect but they have put some good music into the mix - recently I've heard Husker Du, Sun Kil Moon, Luna and the Replacements. I did enjoy some of the Americana that was played under the old format but it did get old after a bit. Yes, they do have some music in heavy rotation that I could do without but you can't have everything I guess.....
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 12:36:44 AM »

At least you have a radio station with this type of format. I'm still languishing in radio wasteland here. I've turned into my mother and listen to the classical music station in the car.

Our "alternative" station is actually a "classic" alternative station (my designation) based on their recently played songs:
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Speed Of Sound - Coldplay
Basket Case - Green Day
Renegades Of Funk (Album Version) - Rage Against the Machine

Yes, this is the "New Rock Alternative" station. And yes, it is Clear Channel.
also known as rcc94

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »

90s alternative is the new "classic" rock.  We are all old.

However, does anyone have the latest programming change in their home town?  What i'm referring to is "throwback" hip-hop.  80s and 90s.  it's pretty awesome.  we had two of these stations pop up in the last three months.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 09:31:02 AM »

WNKU is making some changes to their programming schedule. The goal is for there to be more "locally produced programming". Undercurrents is getting cut, World Café is moving to the early morning and most importantly - Sledge will have regular shifts on Sat/Sun!! Here's what the line up will look like:
Monday - Friday
12 am – 4 am: WNKU Music
4 am – 6 am: World Café
6 am – 10 am: Morning Mix with Elaine Diehl
10 am – 1 pm: Liz Felix
1 pm – 3 pm: John Patrick
3 pm – 7 pm: Gary Keegan
7 pm – 12 am: Pam Temple

Saturday
12 am-6 am: WNKU Music
6 am – 7 am: Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child
7 am – 2 pm: WNKU Music
2 pm – 7 pm: Sledge
7 pm – 10 pm: You're on the Air with Mr. Rhythm Man 
10 pm – 12 am: Blues with Ken Hanes

Sunday
12 am - 1 am: The Grateful Dead Hour
1 am – 6 am: WNKU Music
6 am – 8 am: Acoustic Café
8 am – 11 am: The Front Porch with Pam Temple
11 am – 12 pm: WNKU Music
12 pm – 5 pm: Sledge
5 pm – 8 pm: The Real Mary Peale Show
8 pm – 11 pm: Music from the Hills of Home with Katie Laur & Oakley Scot
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »

V.nice! Does Sledge have an 'official' name for his show?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »

Some of you may be familiar with Trash Flow Radio, the 2 hour program on Cincinnati's community radio station WAIF every Saturday afternoon 3 to 5 pm, with host Ken Katkin.

Ken's shows are all over the place, sometimes mystifying, never boring. For example, this past Saturday, at the occasion of Yo La Tengo's show in Columbus that evening, Ken did the entire 2 hour show on YLT, and not just that, but only YLT covers of other artists! For good measure one of the YLT guys called in for a 20 min. on air interview. Check out the playlist from that, and other past Trash Flow Radio shows on its facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/trashflow/

Anyway, Ken broached the idea with me on doing a 2 hour show on doing nothing but rock music from Belgium. I said sure, why not. I've got tons of Belgian artists in my CDs and 45s collection. Soooooo.... that is happening THIS SATURDAY 3 to 5 pm. We'll be spinning Belgian rock tunes from the 60s to today, with emphasis on the late 70s/early 80s, with Ken doing the play-by-play and me giving the color commentary, so to speak. I've never done this but I hope to have some fun with it.

If you are in Cincinnati: tune in to 88.3 FM
If you are outside of Cincinnati, it'll stream at www.waif883.org

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »

I think you will find that it's an intense experience being behind the microphone, but an enjoyable one too.  Have fun!  I encourage all of you residents of Randomville to tune in.  Ken is a great radio host who is extremely passionate and enthusiastic about the music.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:17 PM »

I recorded some member testimonials at WNKU yesterday while I was there for the Diane Coffee in studio.  Hopefully you'll be hearing my voice on air soon.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 10:37:48 PM »

I think you will find that it's an intense experience being behind the microphone
DrJohn, I must admit, I'm a bit daunted/terrified. I hope I'll hold up okay. I was in the studio at last Saturday's show (when Ken did the Yo La Tengo show), and he asked me if I wanted to read a couple of on-air community service announcements, and I was like... urrr... no thanks. But as you know, Ken is super-friendly and experienced (he's been doing this for 25 years, if not longer), so I'm sure he'll guide this into safe waters.... <fingers crossed> Anyway, the music will be super, that much I can guarantee!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:42:41 PM by euro60 »

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2016, 11:03:27 PM »

You'll be fine.  One thing that always helped me was remembering not to talk too fast, but that's something I have trouble with anyway. 
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »

I was there for the Diane Coffee in studio. 

That counts as a concert!

All these Randonville people having their voices on the radio--maybe we should start our own station...

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 08:11:12 PM »

The Honorary Consul of Belgium did quite well earlier today on WAIF.  And I learned that Plastic Bertrand is from Belgium. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 11:32:49 PM »

The Honorary Consul of Belgium did quite well earlier today on WAIF.  And I learned that Plastic Bertrand is from Belgium.
Thanks for listening! Ken put me at ease, that was a huge help. I had a lot more music ready to play but the 2 hours just flew by. Ken let me play whatever I wanted, which was a bit of a surprise, but again, he's a super guy as you already know, DrJohn. And yes, Plastic Bertrand is from Belgium, not from France!

Ken told me that at the beginning of the show, 499 people (to be exact) were streamlining it on the internet then (no idea how many were listening over the air). Got a number of my friends in the US and Europe emailing me afterwards.

In all, I quite enjoyed the experience. It just all went by in a flash...

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2016, 10:45:21 PM »

I was there for the Diane Coffee in studio. 

That counts as a concert!

All these Randonville people having their voices on the radio--maybe we should start our own station...

Back in the day, I remember having a conversation or two about an Internet radio station with Mac.  I had the software and mic setup.  Still do, actually...
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up