Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin Peaks is coming back... To Showtime.  (Read 1429 times)

Chris

• Citizen
Twin Peaks is coming back... To Showtime.
« on: October 06, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »

Not sure how I feel about this...

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-twin-peaks-is-coming-back-in-2016-to-showtim-1642888908

...but I could always use more coffee, pie and throwing another log lady onto the fire.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Twin Peaks is coming back... To Showtime.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »

I only have 1 thing to say about this... why? oh why? Can't "they" just leave good things alone? I lived with Twin Peaks when it first played out, warts and all, and really enjoyed it. I have zero desire to see an update/reboot/sequel/prequel/whatever. Just like I loved Dallas back in the day, and had zero desire to see the reboot on TNT (which just was canceled incidentally).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

I only have 1 thing to say about this... why? oh why? Can't "they" just leave good things alone?

Hollywood is out of ideas.  That's why.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »

I don't know. 

It's still David Lynch and what'shisname doing it and it's only a limited series.  It will probably be pretty good.  If only the original Twean Peaks had ended after 9 episodes. 

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »

I didn't watch the first run and I probably won't watch the second incarnation.

I'm sure you're all glad I stopped by.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »

Well, the first incarnation (which I didn't watch either) was during a time of only 30 channels and when it was a big deal to mention drugs on TV. Or something. It was a simpler time, and David Lynch's weirdness took the TV watching nation by storm.

Now, it'll be just another blip. The fact that it's on Showtime actually provides some gravitas to it, but it's not going to really do anything to our culture and you're not going to hear too much about it aside from those who watched all those years ago. It's certainly not going to permeate into the younger crowds.

I liken it to the latest Arrested Development season - I wanted that to happen for so so long. Then when it happened I watched one episode and didn't care anymore.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:13:15 AM »

That's selling David Lynch a bit short.  I'm not that big a fan of his, because ultimately he's too frustrating.  But he is awfully good at what he does, if you have a greater tolerance for weird shit with no definitive meaning than me.

It's not like he did Twin Peaks and then everyone got tired of him and he never did anything again.  He did Eraserhead like 15 years before Twin Peaks, plus Dune and Blue Velvet.   Inland Empire was a pretty huge critical success.  Dude has a 40 year track record of being awesome, including a Palm d'Or.

This is kind of the equivalent of the Fargo mini-series, only if the Coen brothers had done it.  As a 9 ep arc, it's enough quirky to get people in, but hopefully not enough for people to start to get tired of it.  Which is what is going to happen to Fargo next season now that it's been renewed.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »

I liken it to the latest Arrested Development season - I wanted that to happen for so so long. Then when it happened I watched one episode and didn't care anymore.

Agreed.  I got about halfway through that, and then I was out.  It just wasn't funny and really wasn't what I needed.  Plus, Portia de Rossi had some distracting-level plastic surgery done, and that was all I was thinking about when she was on screen.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »

This is kind of the equivalent of the Fargo mini-series, only if the Coen brothers had done it.  As a 9 ep arc, it's enough quirky to get people in, but hopefully not enough for people to start to get tired of it.  Which is what is going to happen to Fargo next season now that it's been renewed.

The FARGO miniseries was borderline amazing.  View it the same as I do another season of TRUE DETECTIVE.  They earned my trust enough with season 1 that I'm willing to give season 2 a shot, but my expectations will not be for the 2nd seasons to be at Season 1 levels of awesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up