Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Woodward Theater  (Read 5996 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Woodward Theater
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 05:55:46 PM »

Showtime for Barrence was 9:00 which is a little late. All the other upcoming shows start at 8:00. The Sundresses didn't start til 9:30 and Barrence ended a little after 11:30. I was able to catch the full Bummer's Eve set.
Thanks for the intel, TayFo
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »

i went in pretty excited but if all of the concerts put on by the church are anything like the one i saw about 20 years ago, prepare to be bored.
bongo hard or bongo home

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »

btw, anybody know if all woodward tickets are available at shake it?
bongo hard or bongo home

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:48 PM »

btw, anybody know if all woodward tickets are available at shake it?
The Woodward continues to say they are, but I've always gotten them at MOTR.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »

Friday March 27, 2015:  Sebadoh.  I might just delay an out of town trip for this one.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:01 PM »

Friday March 27, 2015:  Sebadoh.  I might just delay an out of town trip for this one.
they rocked the hell out of MOTR last year.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »

My first time at the Woodward yesterday. My daughter, in addition to her own band Leggy, plays part-time (as a bass player) in a band called Smut, which played there yesterday, opening for Pop Empire. Really like the venue. But why oh why wouldn't they place some tables and chairs in the upstairs around the railing, similar to what it was at the old Southgate House?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »

i agree. i really do like the venue, but i was a little surprised by the lack of character given its history. there are some nice architectural details around the stage but the rest of the place feels gutted out and pretty plain. that's not so much a complaint as an observation.
at least it is connected to everything location-wise.
bongo hard or bongo home

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 09:00:21 AM »

My first time at the Woodward yesterday. My daughter, in addition to her own band Leggy, plays part-time (as a bass player) in a band called Smut, which played there yesterday, opening for Pop Empire. Really like the venue. But why oh why wouldn't they place some tables and chairs in the upstairs around the railing, similar to what it was at the old Southgate House?

They still don't have anything upstairs? Other than the sound being a bit too live, that was my biggest complaint--no place to put your drink.

That said, I'm still going to try to hit the swervedriver show.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »

They still don't have anything upstairs? Other than the sound being a bit too live, that was my biggest complaint--no place to put your drink.
Not a single chair or table. It really makes no sense as the upstairs level is quite high as it is, and doesn't lend itself to standing around and listening to whoever is playing downstairs.

Like twentyshots observed correctly, the place has kind of a rough finish to it and I wondered if they simply ran out of money. Didn't I read somewhere that they spent $1.5 mill. on the renovations? That's a LOT of money, and they'll need a LOT of shows for YEARS to come to recoup that kind of an investment.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »

I understand they now have a proper bar, but with all the renovation who forgot the Green Room? or a permanent merch booth.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 02:54:51 PM »

Didn't they do the paint 'n pints thing last year because they ran low on funds?

It's a nice place and good venue, just needs to be finished off.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 03:01:24 PM »

I was at the Paint/Pints thing.  They said it was for finishing touches.  Maybe it "depends on your definition of finishing touches", as a certain ex-president might say.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2015, 07:37:34 PM »

That said, I'm still going to try to hit the swervedriver show.
yes! pretty excited about swervedriver. i think that new album is out today.

ETA: the mere fact that i will have seen 2 longtime favorite bands already this year (that i have never seen before), trumps any minor issues i have with how the place looks. i think my point is places like MOTR, and southgate, top cats and sudsy's all have/had their own character.....maybe the woodward will grow into its own eventually....kind of starting from a blank slate.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:13:13 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 04:09:23 PM »

I plan on going to see Cloud Nothings and Will Butler at the Woodward next week Wednesday. Is there a place to buy physical tix beforehand? Perhaps Shake It?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up