Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your 3 favorite books?  (Read 1044 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
What are your 3 favorite books?
« on: November 12, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »

I'm looking for a resource of highly recommended books. This is a general list of books that you recommend to others, regardless of what the other person likes or who they are.

Thus, I thought we could all share their 3 (or so) favorite books! Basically....best books you've ever read. No other specific qualifications required.

For instance, I always recommend Jim Bouton's "Ball Four." It's the funniest and easiest to read book. I know it's not for everyone, but I love it so much that I don't care if they a baseball fans or not.

I also really like Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude." However, I only read that one once, so I question my own commitment to it.

I have to think about others that I recommend.

What about you?

lutz

• City Elder
Re: What are your 3 favorite books?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »

I tend to go for series rather than individual books.

#1 Terry Pratchett's Discworld
#2 Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
#3 Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Basically, anything with a capital D.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »

the good soldier svejk- jaroslav hasek
sometimes a great notion- ken kesey
confederacy of dunces- john kennedy toole
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »

Oooh, His Dark Materials was really good.  Nice call.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:29:13 PM »

1. Sand County Almanac- Aldo Leopold
2. Beauty, A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast- Robin McKinley (YA)
3. Summerland- Michael Chabon

I've had multiple people rec' Confederacy of Dunces to me, and I haven't picked it up yet, but I am going to in 2015!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »

i've loaned it to three people now and they thought it incredible.  though i have met people who didn't like it, which i don't understand. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »

It's the Two Broke Girls of 20th century satire

Everyone laugh at the fat, whiny guy and his crazy drunk girlfriend.  No see, HE'S FAT!  Wait... no I don't think you're getting it.  Let's put him in a situation where he acts like a dork and everyone makes fun of him because see, HE'S FAT!!  AND WHINY!!   AND DID I MENTION THE CRAZY GIRLFRIEND?!?

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 03:17:17 PM »

and it was marvelous!  what is a novel if not putting a character into unique circumstances?  it's probably not a novel.  the fact that ignatius was based upon himself and others and the other characters were real people has to have some credence

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »

Yes and 2 Broke Girls is ostensibly based upon experiences and characters Whitney Cummings met during her early stand-up career.  And it's every bit as funny as Confederacy of Dunces.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »

Yes and 2 Broke Girls is ostensibly based upon experiences and characters Whitney Cummings met during her early stand-up career.  And it's every bit as funny as Confederacy of Dunces.

i've never seen the show so i'll take you at your word.  do you think the show is funny?  i think everyone knows an ignatius and can picture him in that role which i feel is part of the charm.  he was a heroic idiot ala don quixote, which i'm sure you were ready for that.  he wasn't just a dork, he was a self absorbed monster.  he didn't have to be fat, it just helped for the weenie scene, which was priceless.  single mother's everywhere with obstinate sons would pity irene reilly and be thankful for their prides and joys

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »

i've never seen the show so i'll take you at your word.  do you think the show is funny?

No, the show is terrible.

he didn't have to be fat, it just helped for the weenie scene

Which is exactly why I dislike the book.  He didn't have to be fat.  He didn't have to get a job selling hot dogs from a pushcart.  But combining the two gave Toole an opportunity to write "weenie" and to have fat guy in a situation involving food.  It's an elaborate setup just to make a lot of obvious, lowest common denominator fat jokes.

It's just not funny or clever at all to me.  And because that book has nothing else going for it because the commentary behind the satire is as obvious as the targets, then it offers nothing.  Well maybe a good portrayal of New Orleans, I guess it should get some props for that.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »

i take it you didn't enjoy airplane! or the jerk?

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 01:07:41 PM »

It's the Two Broke Girls of 20th century satire

Everyone laugh at the fat, whiny guy and his crazy drunk girlfriend.  No see, HE'S FAT!  Wait... no I don't think you're getting it.  Let's put him in a situation where he acts like a dork and everyone makes fun of him because see, HE'S FAT!!  AND WHINY!!   AND DID I MENTION THE CRAZY GIRLFRIEND?!?
Oh god, thanks for the heads up. That sounds like exactly the kind of I cannot stand watching/reading.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »

by all means, take the advice from a man who thinks everything is bland.   zafer would look at a kitten and wonder why it wasn't cuter.   :D  just bustin' some chops 

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 02:02:08 PM »

I know ZK is too hipster to like anything, but I genuinely hate any story that revolves around utterly incompetent characters who are the butt of every joke and can't see the obvious punch to the face approaching, and above all are not in the least bit sympathetic. It just grinds my gears.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up