Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southgate House! Say it isn't so!  (Read 14692 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Re: Southgate House! Say it isn't so!
« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2015, 10:48:13 PM »

They were hurt by the 9 month plus layoff in 2012--the Taft Ballroom got a lot of acts which would have played the SGH.  And it's a rather large exaggeration to say they'd like to be a full time honky tonk.  Redneck customers wouldn't care for most of the "Americana" acts they book, and "Americana" is such a vague term--it encompasses a lot of acts that wouldn't be caught dead sharing a bill.  They pretty much book anything they think will draw.  And the organizers of the Bill Leist Memorial/Jockey Club reunion made a point of emphasizing at the gig how Morella was very proactive in offering the whole house for the show--not exactly the behavior of a place that only wants to book the next Toby Keith.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:56:30 AM by Drjohnrock »
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

pourmesometea

• Summer Resident
« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »

i won't set foot in the thompson house. i was kind of depressed when Ross's club closed. there have been some shows i would have gone to if booked @ any other venue, clap your hands say yeah, but i won't. i saw many great shows @ the old southgate house, such a great vibe. the revival is a good venue, i go there. sad that things went the way they did.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »

July 29, 2015:  Cracker
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2015, 09:01:44 PM »

Duct tape can't fix stupid.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »

The English Beat is coming to SGHR on July 21!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »

That would be a fun show to go to. At one point I saw them at Riverbend, maybe 10 years ago? They were the openers (can't remember who was the headliner).

As it is, I'm in Europe that week...

PS July 21 is Belgium's independence day, so have a cold one on me!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2015, 12:38:01 PM »

I'll be out of town on that date  :(

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »

I'm going. :)  8)
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »

Interesting, just saw Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are coming to the Thompson House on 7/26. 

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:07 PM »

Sept 13: Drive-By Truckers.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »

September 5, 2015:  Denny Laine.  Yes, the Moody Blues and Wings guy.  Not "alternative" or "indie" but notable.  I've always liked Go Now.

September 16, 2015:  Chuck Prophet solo show in the Revival Room!  Best to get your tickets quickly, mik--I wouldn't be surprised if this one sells out.

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2015, 11:52:38 AM »

I'm on it Djr, but thank you! My son has a football game that day but it should be done in time to make the show. I know it's a Wednesday, but are you interested?
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2015, 01:55:34 PM »

So, I've wondered this forever.  Why post shows, that I assume are at the Southgate House Revival, in a thread that was about the old Southgate House closing down (and eventually becoming the Thompson House)?  Wouldn't it make sense to have a thread for Southgate House Revival shows?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2015, 04:07:53 PM »

I'm on it Djr, but thank you! My son has a football game that day but it should be done in time to make the show. I know it's a Wednesday, but are you interested?

I'm not ruling it out, but weekdays, especially during the school year, are very challenging for gig attendance.  We'll see.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »

[quote author=Drjohnrock link=topic=106146.msg512463#msg512463 date=1437146180

September 16, 2015:  Chuck Prophet solo show in the Revival Room!  Best to get your tickets quickly, mik--I wouldn't be surprised if this one sells out.
[/quote]

FWIW, Mr. Prophet is appearing with his full band at the Black Swamp Arts Festival in Bowling Green, Ohio on Saturday September 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM.  Free show, which is a plus.  Long distance from Cincinnati and the fact that if it rains it is outdoors, minuses.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up