Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunbury 2015  (Read 6534 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Bunbury 2015
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2015, 10:52:27 PM »

well, I finally ran into Pourmesometea and Tayfo today. The latter with the 6 yr. old kid, and wearing a WOXY shirt, ha!

I only stayed a couple of hours today. Not a lot of bands playing, even less that I really cared about.

Drjohn, I hope you and your daughter enjoyed Twenty One Pilots. Seemed like every other person there today was wearing one of their T-shirts.

Still gathering my thoughts for the overall experience this year at Bunbury (to be posted later).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2015, 11:12:33 PM »

I know what you mean about the TOP t-shirts.  Maybe it was just because the layout for their stage was better, and more people were able to see them, but the TOP crowd made Willie Nelson's at last year's Buckle look small by comparison--and Willie's crowd was anything but tiny.

Twenty-One Pilots aren't really my cup of tea but they are talented.  My daughter certainly enjoyed them.  She even met some of their relatives who were there for the show.

I'll have more comments later on the bands I saw.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »

I was there just for Friday. I got there as Wussy was finishing up, but didn't get in the gate until after 3. The line easily tripled while I was waiting and there was ONE Bunbury volunteer/staff member trying to organize the line.

I really enjoyed:

Mikky Ekko
Father John Misty
Temples
Royal Blood
Walk the Moon
Tame Impala

I was over the crowds, the set up was stupid--the pavilion stage and the sawyer point stage so close together doesn't make any sense, but the view was so much better than yeatman cove.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »

Well, the Enquirer didn't even bother posting a review of the music on any of the three days. Nice work, Enquirer!

It does have an overall wrap-up article:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/06/07/bunbury-shows-cincinnati-growing/28660959/

The most interesting tidbit from the article is this:

As to the biggest possible change - the location - both Luther and Donabedian said the festival was perfect for Sawyer Point, but no promises could be made yet.

"It's idyllic with the river and the breeze and the view of the city," Donabedian said. "But it is a very challenging venue. I hope we can stay ... the energy created down here was just amazing."
[/color]

I couldn't agree more. Would be a terrible (but alas, likely) move to Summit Park.

Highlights of the festival for me:

Friday: Temples (best set of the festival, period), Mini Mansions, WTM, Tame Impala

Saturday: The Secret Sisters, The Decemberists (2nd best set of the festival), Kacey Musgraves

Sunday: Shakey Graves

Lowlight of the festival: Lindsey Stirling. WTF was that? Something straight out of Trans Siberia Orchestra?!? And Manchester Orchestra, a band which at one point (years ago) I liked quite a bit, was determined to be the loudest band of the festival, droning on and on while forgetting to actually bring any decent songs. Couldn't take more than 15 min. of it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2015, 10:07:51 AM »

the set up was stupid--the pavilion stage and the sawyer point stage so close together doesn't make any sense.
I was actually surprised how well that worked and I am very much in favor of keeping the Sawyer Point stage as it was this year. Pretty much anywhere one was standing you had a decent view. And the Pavilion stage being so close never bothered me, in fact it was pretty nice that the bands would come on within a minute or two of each other, going back and forth between each other.

Also, the River Stage was criminally underused. Easily the "prettiest" view of any of the stages with the Ohio and all of the boats in the background. There were exactly three bands that played there each day, for a total playing time of about 2 hours. TWO HOURS. For shame.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »

Now that I have survived the weekend, I guess I will give my thoughts on it.

I think this was probably the best year for bands. The influence of PromoWest and CD102.5 were definitely felt in bringing in bands that are bigger but would never get played on Cincinnati radio. I thought it was interesting the way they split the days up somewhat with Friday being your typical "indie rock" day, Saturday being more Americana heavy and Sunday and being for hip hop heavy. It probably helped people who were on the fence about spending the money to see the headliner to know the day was somewhat built around that style so they may like more of the bands that day. Matt and Kim was easily the highlight of the weekend for me (as anyone who has ever seen them would expect they would be). The 2 Reverends (Horton Heat and Peyton's Big Damn Band) were both incredible. I checked out Lindsey Sterling and while she is definitely talented, I just didn't get it. She is an incredible violin player and dancer, but it just seemed to wander and never gel into a really awesome performance. She seems perfectly suited for video, but after 2 songs, I was ready for something else.

I think by now, everyone knows what a clusterfuck Friday was. Saturday and Sunday were better, but I think that was more to circumstances than to anything PromoWest did. Of course the lines to get in were shorter to get in because there were less people attending and 2 day pass holders already went through the process. Water stations still had lines but they were better (again because there were less people). Every water station and fountain had a line at least 5 to 10 people deep every time I went by (and often the main water station in the center would be 25 or more people). I never remember that happening in the past. And I am sorry, but running out of bottled water is just ridiculous. The volunteers also didn't seem to have a clue what was going on. I had to go to the ticket trailer to get my ticket (apparently if you bought it last year you had to do this). I luckily heard someone yelling this, but they apparently weren't doing that earlier as BobRox waited in the entire line to then be told he had to go exchange his ticket. When he exchanged his ticket, they told him he had to wait in the line again. When I exchanged my ticket, I was told I could just go to the front of the line and tell them I had a Showclix ticket (not that any of the volunteers every asked me anything when I just walked to the front of the line).

While overall the bands were better, the stage setup with the 4 stages was terrible. The have announced that they are keeping just 4 stages next year, which really makes me question whether I will go back. With the same amount of people as last year, but 2 less stages, things were just way too crowded for me. The River stage was by far the best thing in past years (Grouplove on that stage at dusk is still by far the best thing I have ever seen at Bunbury) but this year, it was both underutilized (they didn't have anyone on it after 5-6 PM) and also terrible to get to. Because of the fewer stages, every show on the River stage was packed to where you couldn't get close to it if you showed up after the band started. I am a guy who likes to be close to the stage, but with just 4 stages and that many people, it becomes impossible for pretty much every band.

They did a terrible job of timing the acts, which also contributed to the crowdedness. Most of the acts finished and started at the same time. This leads to huge surges of people going from stage to stage at the same time, which just creates a total logjam. In past years, everything was staggered so bands were starting/stopping every 15 minutes which helped thin out the herd. Then add in that the last 2 bands of the day were totally unopposed and it just led to HUGE crowds going from one stage to the other between them. I understand having the headliner unopposed, but there should be multiple choices up until then (and even overlapping somewhat with the headliner which is what they did in past years). This just help keep things separated and moving. Yes, your 2 favorite acts may be playing at the same time, but that is life.

The craft beer village was kind of a waste. Moerlein was the only Cincinnati beer, which was disappointing. They need to switch the food to where the craft beer village is. It is a bigger area so as the lines form for the food, there is more room to keep traffic flowing. It is also between the stage setups to it will work out better. The craft beer never had any noticeable lines, so they can do pretty much anywhere.

One thing that REALLY stood out to me on Sunday was the difference in the hip hop acts they booked. I caught a little bit of Lil Dicky. This was almost a bad stereotype of what old white people think rap is like. Everything I heard was about fucking bitches and telling everyone to "go crazy" over and over again. I could barely understand half of what he was saying because he was just running around and yelling about going crazy". There wasn't any discernible song structure I would tell from the 15 minutes or so I stayed. Then Atmosphere came on stage and was the exact opposite (in full disclosure, I love Atmosphere). Sure, he was doing the stereotypical "put your hands in the air" but there was content to his songs. There were lyrics you could hear, with actual meaning to them. You could tell the difference between songs and even verses and choruses. The songs were about more than fucking bitches and getting crazy. It was just amazing to see the contrast between the 2.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but it was a big let down.  In the past, Bunbury has been run extremely well. It was not without it's issues, but overall, they worked on getting them fixed (moving the stage to the other end helped in that regard) and it was a great weekend. This felt like they bought something that was running well and then made changes that broke it. I'm really not sure whether I will be going back next year. If they have a lineup of incredible underneath bands, I could see myself doing it, but I wouldn't buy a 3 day pass for it right now like I did last year.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »

One thing I wanted to add was about the attendance numbers. They claimed Friday was so bad because of the "huge, unexpected crowd". They claim they sold out at 20,000 tickets on Friday. First, if you are going to sell that many ticket, you should damn well be prepared for that many people. It shouldn't be a surprise because you are selling the tickets. Second, they said the attendance for the weekend was around 60,000 (which I believe is in the range of the previous year). So if you sold out with 20,000 tickets on Friday, how do you get to 60,000 for the weekend without selling out the other 2 days? There is some funny math going on with their attendance numbers.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »

I loved the Sawyer Point and Pavilion stages, the way they had it scheduled just seemed weird. The River stage was phenomenal but under used.

One thing I wanted to add was about the attendance numbers. They claimed Friday was so bad because of the "huge, unexpected crowd". They claim they sold out at 20,000 tickets on Friday. First, if you are going to sell that many ticket, you should damn well be prepared for that many people. It shouldn't be a surprise because you are selling the tickets. Second, they said the attendance for the weekend was around 60,000 (which I believe is in the range of the previous year). So if you sold out with 20,000 tickets on Friday, how do you get to 60,000 for the weekend without selling out the other 2 days? There is some funny math going on with their attendance numbers.

I agree completely. You can't tell me they didn't have any idea of the numbers prior to Friday so they could have some sort of plan in place. It was ridiculous.

It was my first and probably only bunbury--the line up will have to be epic to draw me back in.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »

I wouldn't buy a 3 day pass for it right now like I did last year.
Not that you could, even if you wanted to. Seems like the "good old days" when you could buy next year's 3 day pass for just $100 are gone forever, and I fully expect that there will be no discounted tickets for early buyers.

In fact, it seems to me that Bunbury's overall "good old days" are never coming back. Only now do we realize how nice it was in previous years to stroll from one stage to the next and explore new bands in an intimate setting (hello, Meg Myers!). There is nothing intimate about Bunbury anymore, and now it's beome just another Forecastle, possibly minus the multiple performing act choices. For me Sunday was basically a complete waste, heavy as it was on the hip-hop/rap acts, and there being only 15 artists scheduled for the entire day.

They absolutely need to expand the number of food stations and the beer stations, i.e. at least double them. Also, the number of craft beer choices at the Craft Beer Village or whatever it was called were simply underwhelming (maybe 10 craft beer manufacturers in total?), and the absence of more local beers was in particular noticeable (how can you not have Rhinegeist or Mad Tree at a Cincinnati festival?).

All the bitching aside, it was also noticeable how many Cleveland and Columbus Tshirts and jerseys could be seen, meaning a sizeable portion of the attendees came from out of town, and those people were probably saying "man, I wish we could have a festival like this in Cleveland (or whatever city they come from). So in the end, I'd rather have Bunbury, warts and all, here in Cincinnati (preferably staying at Sawyer Point), rather than Columbus or Cleveland.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:09:17 AM by euro60 »

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2015, 11:22:04 AM »

That's true Euro, Trixie and I met a couple girls from Cleveland on Friday.

I heard someone say that some of the food vendors are also up at LC Pavilion, so they might have just been brought in because they already have a relationship with PromoWest--maybe that will change next year?

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »

http://www.fox19.com/story/29261121/preps-already-on-for-next-year-as-bunbury-2015-comes-to-a-close

Looks like there will possibly be early bird 3 day passes, but not until later this year.

Again, no real reviews of the music and they barely touched on the problems from Friday.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2015, 01:58:54 PM »

Couldn't help but notice this interesting article in today's Bilboard about this weekend's Governors Ball in New York, where some of the same acts (Tame Impala, the Black Keys, etc.) played that were at Bunbury.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/6590585/governors-ball-2015-rock-edm-dj-crowds

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2015, 02:02:12 PM »

So if you sold out with 20,000 tickets on Friday, how do you get to 60,000 for the weekend without selling out the other 2 days? There is some funny math going on with their attendance numbers.

Same way the MPMF attendance grew exponentially during it's Donebedian years.  Promotion through creative math.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »

And then this: again today, like yesterday, I had a dude in a "WOXY: the future of rock and roll" T-shirt (not the same guy) right next to me. I had to bite my tongue, frankly, about saying something to that guy as my thought is "WOXY, sorry, is the past". It's been 5 years since WOXY was on the air. I have a number of WOXY T-shirts but I can't wear them anymore. WOXY's "future" concept is way in the past now, seriously. I loved WOXY as much as the next guy and it was great while we had WOXY, but let's move on already.
Spoken like a true misanthrope!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »

The non-headlining bands I saw yesterday were a mixed bag.  Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band were a lot of fun.  The Reverend said they'll be at the Taft the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Barring a lot of other obligations, I'll be there.  I didn't see all of Shakey Graves' set but what I heard was quite interesting.  I need to check out more of this guy's music.

Manchester Orchestra were all right, though they could have varied the alterno drone a bit.  But the day's biggest disappointment to me was the boring tripe put out by Brand New.  They might as well have been a bland '70s arena rock outfit.  Blah.

The Enquirer's wrap-up article was poor.  The Inkwire never was a good paper and it's getting progressively worse.  Donabedian repeated the absurd line about 20,000 showing up all at once on Friday.  Right, blame your lack of preparation and/or penny pinching on costs on the crowd.

I doubt that I'll ever attend Bunbury again.  A lot of the negative changes are going to be permanent and I have no desire to further line Promowest's pockets.  I admit to not liking big festivals in general--too crowded, too many rude assholes in the crowd.  The one big exception is MidPoint--really like how it's run, how you can either purchases passes or pay to see acts a la carte.  Hopefully they never make a lot of boneheaded changes in an effort to make it "better". 
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up