Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunbury 2015  (Read 5544 times)

TayFo

• City Elder
Re: Bunbury 2015
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2015, 10:33:10 PM »

And then this: again today, like yesterday, I had a dude in a "WOXY: the future of rock and roll" T-shirt (not the same guy) right next to me. I had to bite my tongue, frankly, about saying something to that guy as my thought is "WOXY, sorry, is the past". It's been 5 years since WOXY was on the air. I have a number of WOXY T-shirts but I can't wear them anymore. WOXY's "future" concept is way in the past now, seriously. I loved WOXY as much as the next guy and it was great while we had WOXY, but let's move on already.
Spoken like a true misanthrope!
Might as well burn your Ramones t-shirts too.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2015, 10:36:16 PM »

I worked a beer booth from 12-4, so I was able to avoid the lines that everyone else got stuck in.  Our booth had good sight lines to Yeatman's stage and as there was such a delay with people getting in and many of the earlier arrivers seemingly of the non-drinking age, I got to see much of Wussy.  After my shift was over, I caught some of Father John Misty before I headed over to grab some food and see Temples (which is where Cuddly found me--and spotted Tayfo off in the distance).  I continued to go back and forth between the 2 stages and enjoyed most of the bands I saw.  Other than the mass movements after each show ended, I didn't find that it was as crowded as I had feared it would be and was thus pleasantly surprised as I tend to get super irritated very fast with people.  There were definitely people from all over...struck up short conversations with people from Michigan and a father/son from Lima while I was serving up the beer.   A promowest person at our booth I thought had said there were close to 30K tix sold for Fri, but I may have misunderstood or he may have misspoken. There definitely could be some re-arranging of food/drink booths to help the flow of people. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »

Awww . . . sorry I missed you, Trixi.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2015, 11:13:17 PM »

And then this: again today, like yesterday, I had a dude in a "WOXY: the future of rock and roll" T-shirt (not the same guy) right next to me. I had to bite my tongue, frankly, about saying something to that guy as my thought is "WOXY, sorry, is the past". It's been 5 years since WOXY was on the air. I have a number of WOXY T-shirts but I can't wear them anymore. WOXY's "future" concept is way in the past now, seriously. I loved WOXY as much as the next guy and it was great while we had WOXY, but let's move on already.
Spoken like a true misanthrope!
urr... I am not a misanthrope. If the WOXY T-shirt said anything other than the "future" (say, "WOXY Best 100 of 2008", or something like it, as I saw some other guy, and I have that T-shirt too), I'd be all in, as I love(d) WOXY. But when the "future" died 5 years ago, there is something supremely ironic about it that I just have a hard time seeing (let alone wearing) a T-shirt claiming the "Future of Rock and Roll". WOXY was awesome, but there is nothing "future" about it (anymore).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »

I doubt that I'll ever attend Bunbury again.  A lot of the negative changes are going to be permanent and I have no desire to further line Promowest's pockets.  I admit to not liking big festivals in general--too crowded, too many rude assholes in the crowd.  The one big exception is MidPoint--really like how it's run, how you can either purchases passes or pay to see acts a la carte.  Hopefully they never make a lot of boneheaded changes in an effort to make it "better".
couple of comments:

1. I guess it all depends on what the definition of a "big festival" is. If you think Bunbury is big, lordie, I wonder what you'd think of Coachella, Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza. I stopped attending those because those are truly "big" festivals (50,000 each day, maybe more), and that's just way too much for me now. I 've thought of Bunbury as a nice "little" festival. Still do in a way.

2. I'm pretty sure I'll be back at Bunbury next year. I mean, it gave me the opportunity to see Temples and Tame Impala (neither of whom had been to Cincy before) on the SAME DAY. That was pretty awesome right then and there.

3. Warts and all, I feel pretty good this festival takes place in our hometown. Would you rather have it happening in Columbus or Cleveland?

4. Like you, I outright LOVE MidPoint. I've attended it for years. Already looking forward to that come September (and not just because my daughter's band Leggy will play it).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2015, 09:16:25 AM »

Let's not get all Clintonesque about definitions.  Bonnaroo and the others are extremely huge but Bunbury is still big.  The Cincinnati Blues Fest is a good example of a smaller festival.  And where did I say I wanted Bunbury to go to Columbus or Cleveland (though Promowest might be planning that--2016 in Blue Ash, 2017 in Columbus could be in the cards)?  I was stating my own intentions and preferences.  I prefer to see shows at clubs or small theaters.  I prefer not to be treated like I'm part of a herd of cattle.  As for MPMF, September can't come fast enough for me. 
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »

Bunbury and MPMF are two different animals. For a outdoor festival, I like Bunbury but doubt I'd like any of the crazy big ones. I like to see the stage every so often. The Bunbury plus is the bands are pretty close to one another and it's easy to get food and drink while watching the band. The MidPoint plus is a the vastness and diversity of bands in a more intimate environment. Different strokes, baby, but I'm glad we have them both.

On an aside, I hear a private school mother talking about Bunbury at a playground. "I looked at the schedule and never heard of any of the bands" as if nobody was good was playing. Yeah, I think that one is on you little Miss ear to the ground.

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »

Sounds like the people mentioning it getting moved to Summit Park are onto something.  Bill Donabedian has said a few interesting things on Twitter.

‏@mstuart142 @bdonabedian @bunburyfestival Thanks for bringing this to us. #keepbunburyontheriver

‏@bdonabedian @mstuart142 wish the top brass at the city and parks department felt the same way.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »

It is going to be an impressive park, but still I prefer it on the river where the suburbanites have to come to us.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »

‏@bdonabedian @mstuart142 wish the top brass at the city and parks department felt the same way.
That makes it sound like Donabedian is blaming to city, but I have to say I'm skeptical of that implication.

Do you really think that Cincinnati wants to lose an event like this to Blue Ash? Not in a million years. This is EXACTLY what Cincinnati wants: an event in downtown, which attracts both numerous out-of-towners (who fill up downtown hotels) AND numerous suburbanites.

If the festival moves to Blue Ash, which hotels do you think the out-of-towners will be booking?

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2015, 11:13:16 AM »

If anybody needs an indication of how much money this festival generates, let me share this tidbit of information...

I was in discussion with someone who knows/supplies one of the food trucks that serviced Bunbury. In just three days, serving $6 sandwiches, this truck generated over $17,000 worth of business.
Opulence. I has it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »

Holy smokes!  That's big revenue. 

Poor bastard's food costs and the labor involved probably make the profit less than what you or I would like to imagine, however.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2015, 01:34:46 PM »

I caught a little bit of Lil Dicky. This was almost a bad stereotype of what old white people think rap is like. Everything I heard was about fucking bitches and telling everyone to "go crazy" over and over again. I could barely understand half of what he was saying because he was just running around and yelling about going crazy".

But isn't that the joke?  I mean granted it's a horribly unfunny joke.  But I would imagine there was intended to be some irony there.

I don't know, man.  I just don't even get music nowadays.  I cannot think of anything more miserable and lame than being amongst a throng of thousands at an outdoor music festival to watch Father John Fucking Misty. 

Not that I dislike Father John Misty, Matt & Kim, Avett Brothers, or whatever (actually I do dislike Matt & Kim), but THAT's a music festival nowadays?  That sounds more like the lineup I'd put together for a Crafts Expo or Farmer's Market.  I mean, not that I'm Mr. Hardcore or anything but I would like to feel like I'm at a ROCK show instead of the State Fair.

Does anybody rock anymore?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2015, 02:54:10 PM »

As a fan of the Avett Brothers a big damn festival is the last place on earth I want to see them.  I can't even stand amphitheater shows anymore due to the douchebaggery of the other attendees I can't imagine multiplying the attendance AND having to stand a half mile away.

Actually, I don't really want to see the Avett Bros. anywhere anymore until their popularity wanes and I can see them at SGH or The Vogue again like the old days.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »

I cannot think of anything more miserable and lame than being amongst a throng of thousands at an outdoor music festival to watch Father John Fucking Misty. 

Not being much of a FJM fan, I would have thought this too, but I was genuinely surprised that dude has charisma and stage presence to spare.  Kind of a mix between Jarvis Cocker, Nick Cave, and a bit of Mick Jagger, every bit captivating to watch.  As such, the music was expanded from the kind of syrupy recordings to something with more balls. 

Does anybody rock anymore?

That's largely why I've enjoyed going to Psych Fest.  There have been so many bands I've seen there with crazy energy and music that makes me want to punch something (see: Kadavar, Bo Ningen, Thee Oh Sees, White Hills).  For every lame band like Pure X or Quilt, there are 5 other bands who started a band because they want to cram their music down your throat and out your reproductive organs.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up