Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Esquire Theater to show The Interview  (Read 3701 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Esquire Theater to show The Interview
« on: December 23, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »

Starting on Christmas Day, the Esquire will show this movie.  Prior to the cyberattack against Sony Pictures and the threats against theaters, I had little interest in this film.  But it's important not to lose our liberties by kowtowing to dictators like the piece of shit that rules North Korea.  I won't be able to make it on 12/25 but it's more than a one day only booking so I'll be there ASAP thereafter.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Esquire Theater to show The Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:15:03 PM »

Great news. Me and my kids will be there on Christmas Day. Some time ago, as we were discussing our Christmas Day plans, it was our first choice to see on Christmas Day, and when we heard that The Interview was pulled, we were wondering what movie to see (it's been a years-long tradition for us to have lunch at my house and then go see a movie).

And now going to see this will be an act of "upright middle finger" to whoever thought they could suppress artistic freedom. (As an aside, I have read left and right that the movie is not that great, but now that isn't the point anymore.)

*EDIT* I just went to the Esquire website. No sign of that being shown on Christmas Day.... You'd better be right, DrJohn!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:17:27 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 01:21:13 AM »

I just double checked www.esquiretheatre.com and it is still there.  Did you use the date drop box to make sure you had the 25th?  It is the second movie listed. 

Before the controversy, what I had heard about the film (snippets on NPR) made it sound rather lightweight and silly.  But now it's my duty to go. 
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 09:26:24 AM »

I would also recommend leaving your house doors unlocked and open while at the theater.  Take your gun.  And afterwards, top it off by going to the worst restaurant you know that is about to close.  Food critics.  Trying to tell us what to eat.  The nerve.  If you could also do that driving a car with a faulty airbag and terrible safety record while wearing a Ray Rice shirsey then you would be America's greatest hero. 

No one tells you what to do, man.  You're so punk rock. 

Especially considering who you're supporting.  If there's one company that has always stood up for the little man, artistic expression, and has never attempted to constrict freedom by using proprietary formats or things like that, it has to be Sony.  Let them know you're on their side.  Give them all your personal information and let them do what they want because after all, it's not their responsibility to safeguard your data or anything.

And there won't be a crappy show in selected theaters this Christmas time
The only gift we'll get this year is life
Will we know it's Christmas time at all?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:34:16 AM by Zafer Kaya »

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »

I would also recommend leaving your house doors unlocked and open while at the theater.  Take your gun.  And afterwards, top it off by going to the worst restaurant you know that is about to close.  Food critics.  Trying to tell us what to eat.  The nerve.  If you could also do that driving a car with a faulty airbag and terrible safety record while wearing a Ray Rice shirsey then you would be America's greatest hero. 

No one tells you what to do, man.  You're so punk rock. 

Especially considering who you're supporting.  If there's one company that has always stood up for the little man, artistic expression, and has never attempted to constrict freedom by using proprietary formats or things like that, it has to be Sony.  Let them know you're on their side.  Give them all your personal information and let them do what they want because after all, it's not their responsibility to safeguard your data or anything.

And there won't be a crappy show in selected theaters this Christmas time
The only gift we'll get this year is life
Will we know it's Christmas time at all?

Right.  No one tells me what to do, especially you.  I can't tell if your incoherent screed is because you're drunk or just your usual hyper-angry self--and I don't give a shit either way.   Have a good holiday with family and friends, provided the former will even speak to you and if you even have any of the latter. :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:03:24 AM by Drjohnrock »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »

Yes, I see it listed now on the Esquire website.

I heard on NPR Morning Edition that the movie is opening tomorrow on about 200 screens around the country. Glad that the Esquire is one of them.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »

This is nothing but a money grab on Sony's part. The Interview looks like a terrible movie. When everything started up and the hack was revealed (and there is still major questions whether it was North Korea that hacked Sony), they just wanted everything to go away because of the bad publicity they were getting. Then suddenly people started saying "You can't let the North Koreans win" and they saw a possibility to make some money from their crappy movie and try and get some good publicity from it.

This movie has nothing to do with freedom of speech and everything to do with a company trying to make a buck. If you want to see the movie because you think it looks good, more power to you (although I question your taste in movies). But if you want to see it to show the North Koreans, you aren't actually doing anything other than helping a crappy movie companies profits and showing you will support a crappy movie because Merica!
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »

zk's just upset because seth rogen never signed his "knocked up" t shirt at the premier.  he gained one hundred pounds for that moment
poach eggs, not elephants

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »

Yay, capitalism??
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 12:28:41 AM »

My son heard from one of his friends that tix are selling like crazy for this.

I got out tix on movietickets.com for tomorrow afternoon's showing at the Esquire

Regardless as to whatever the motives are (and as I mentioned earlier, this looks to be a pretty average, if not bad. movie), it's now become an event. Glad to be a part of it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »

I fully agree with Dirk - it's a marketing ploy of some sort. However, it's still a pretty funny film.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »

it's probably the best thing that could have happened for the movie.  i wouldn't in the first place go out to a theater to see the film even though i like seth rogen and james franco.  those films are best watched alone, because you have nothing better to do and you're inclined to smile
poach eggs, not elephants

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 10:27:52 PM »

Greendale Cinemas in Greendale, Indiana (just across the state line on US 50) is also showing The Interview, which might be more convenient for Westsiders (such as myself) to attend.  But whether at the Esquire or Greendale, I'll see it soon.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »

This is the review I have posted after seeing it today at the Esquire:

4 out of 5 stars "That was a gift from Stalin." "In our country, we pronounce that Stallone"

"The Interview" (2014 release; 112 min.) brings the story of how an entertainment reporter Dave Skylark (played by James Franco) and his producer Aaron Rapoport (played by Seth Rogen) get an opportunity to interview Kim Jong-un. the "Supreme Leader" of North Korea. As the movie opens, we see a young girl (maybe 7 or so) sing a patriotic song for North Korean officials. The song turns hilariously into an anti-America rant. Soon thereafter, we see Skylark interview Eminem (another hilarious scene). When Skylark and Rapoport find out that Jong-un is a big fan of the show, they manage an invite to North Korea. The CIA then pays a visit and convinces the guys that they need to "take out" Jong-un. At this point we're barely 20 min. into the movie but to tell you more would spoil your viewing experience.

Couple of comments: at this point as much needs to be said about the events surrounding the limited release of the movie as about the movie itself. Let's start with the movie itself: first and foremost, I had heard and read mixed things about the movie, so when my (grown) kids and I went to see it on Christmas day, I had pretty low expectations. Turns out the movie is actually not nearly as bad as I had been led the believe. Yes, there is stupid "potty" humor and yes, it's all very much over the top. But there are zingers left and right that will have you smile if not laugh out loud. One of the many, many examples: when Jong-un and Skylark are taking a tour of Jong-un's place, at some point they come across a huge tank. Comments Jong-un: "That was a gift to my grandfather by Stalin". Replies Skylark: "in our country, we pronounce that Stallone", ha! And on and on. Randall Park as Kim Jong-un is outstanding. Kudos also to Seth Rogen, who also co-wrote and co-directed the movie.

As to the limited release, I was at first horrified that Sony gave in to the threats, but felt a little better when the limited Christmas day release was announced. The movie played on one screen at my local art-house theater here in Cincinnati, and it's a good thing I had bought tickets on-line beforehand, as the matinée screening was sold out (as were all other screenings, apparently). The crowd was really into it, laughing and hollering and whooping it up. When the end titles started rolling, the crowd even gave an applause. In all, this truly was a "movie event", and all three of us were very happy we were part of it. "The Interview" is RECOMMENDED!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:54:34 PM by euro60 »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »

This is nothing but a money grab on Sony's part. The Interview looks like a terrible movie. When everything started up and the hack was revealed (and there is still major questions whether it was North Korea that hacked Sony), they just wanted everything to go away because of the bad publicity they were getting. Then suddenly people started saying "You can't let the North Koreans win" and they saw a possibility to make some money from their crappy movie and try and get some good publicity from it.

Exactly.  And a big part of the negative publicity they were getting was because a couple of execs cracked some semi-racist jokes, of the exact kind that were in this movie.

If the hacks had instead been racy pictures of Jennifer Lawrence, that movie does not get pulled.  They probably book MORE screens.  It's not even an American company.

Anyway yeah.  It sounds like about what I expected, which is That it is kind of stupid overall but has enough funny to make it worth a seeing when you're in the right mood. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up