Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 movies in 2015  (Read 26346 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 movies in 2015
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:40 PM »

5. THE ONE I LOVE – 01/03/15 – Netflix – And now I’m POSITIVE that I will never go to couples therapy.
I should note that I loved this movie. It was truly original and weird and it made me uncomfortable and it kept taking all of these twists. It was not the experience that I was expecting. It felt like it could have been a TWILIGHT ZONE episode for sure.

If only there was some kind of... I don't know... points system or something that would indicate how one felt about such a film.

Oh well.

I had the "twist" ruined for me (ok, I ruined it for myself by reading a review, but still...) before seeing this one and still greatly enjoyed it.
Ppfpffpfpfpttttptptffffftttt!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 07:29:51 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
2 ● Amélie
3 ● Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4 ● On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5 ● They Came Together
6 ● 2001: A Space Odyssey
7 ● The One I Love
8 ● Shooter
9 ● Boy

adding
10 ● Saturday Night Fever
My umpteen umpteenth viewing of this movie. Blu-Ray made me feel like I could smell the sweat-ridden polyester, teeter on the platform shoes and marvel even more at the width of the flares. I can tell everyone now that, when it came out, I was teenage manager of a Virgin shop and 'punked up' with a snotty attitude. That a) didn't stop me going to see this film three times, twice with two different dates and b) enter a disco dance competition with 7 of my mates. We did that 'group routine' from the film, complete with handclaps and 'moves'. Oh yes. C U Next Tuesday.
11 ● Marvellous
Made for TV film which is a kind of documentary - but isn't - about former Stoke City fan - and former kit-man - Neil Baldwin. An odd choice of subject? Yes, but no. This guy was an inspiration. This film was too. everyone should see it if they can. It's currently on BBC iPlayer if you have access to that. If not, just remember the name and try and catch it some other way. Utterly fantastic.
12 ● No Place on Earth
Docu-drama about the fascinating story of 38 Jewish refugees who holed up for 18 months in a Ukranian cave, so as to evade capture (or worse) by the Germans
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:26:22 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »

we are 5 days into the new year and I haven't seen a movie yet. Yikes!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 06:44:03 AM »

1. The Fault in Our Stars - Amazon - 6
2. Snowpiercer - Netflix - 7

3. Blue Ruin - Netflix - 8

Tense, naturalistic revenge thriller about what happens when a guy who is off his rocker in an odd way decides to seek revenge for something that happened 20 years before.  The tension starts about 10 minutes in and builds very effectively all the way through.  The lead does a great job at portraying normal guy awkwardness in these situations while also including his determination at finishing the job... as he sees it, anyway.  Hard to watch at times, but relatively short and well worth the time.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:18:11 AM by Butter »

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »

1. THE IMITATION GAME – 01/01/15 – AMC PKWY POINTE w/Amanda – Some man ruined this movie for me JUST as the war was ending. It’s all I will ever remember about the movie.
2. JENNIFER LOPEZ: DANCE AGAIN – 01/01/15 – HBO – Don’t judge me. I like flashy costumes, high-intensity dance numbers, and celebrity relationship drama.
3. WELCOME TO THE PUNCH – 01/02/15 – cable – I got sucked into recording this because it stars James McAvoy. I also love Mark Strong. To CR this review, I’d say more like “Welcome to The Suck”.
4. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES – 01/03/15 – AMC PKWY POINTE w/The Greg – Needed more Smaug.
5. THE ONE I LOVE – 01/03/15 – Netflix – And now I’m POSITIVE that I will never go to couples therapy.
6. NIGHT SHIFT – 01/04/15 – cable – repeat viewing - That kiss between Henry Winkler and Shelley Long was the most awkward in HISTORY.
7. HAPPY CHRISTMAS - 01/05/15 - Netflix - This was my first Joe Swanberg movie and I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like it was all improv at all. Also, that baby (which I think may be his baby) is the best baby EVER in a movie. He has a better sense of humor than most adults.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:13:55 PM by c-lando »

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »

1. wild- ehh, it was alright.  i'm a sucker for a trail movie.  this one plod about like boots on the trail.  but it wasn't really a trail movie.  the most amazing scenery was reese witherspoon's spectacular rack. along the pacific crest trail, there's more amazing views than that.  you see, the trail was kinda like a metaphor for hard her journey was going to be after hitting rock bottom.  her reward after walking a thousand some miles, was a clear conscience.  or something like that.  one of my favorite lines from her was something like, "i'm very close to the end of the trail, and somedays, i don't want it to end."  it's kinda like college, she's gotta step back into daily life, unlike the trail though, every day is a bitch.  laura dern (reese's film mother) was by far my favorite character.  i coulda swore she was kyra sedgwick. 

2.  her- the lars and the real girl comparisons hit me right away, even before i saw the movie.  i really didn't like the concept.  i was uncomfortable with the premise and if spike jonze hadn't done this i wouldn't have watched it.  even though i love joaquin.  i get it, people really love their gadgets, but i was surprised at how it wasn't really about that.  i think obsession with technology definitely played a huge part, but the overriding theme was the quest for love and the ability to be strong enough for it.  nicely done spike.  although a hyper intelligent alan watts kinda terrifies me
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 10:08:46 AM »

Movies seen in 2015 (new movies in bold):
1. Hot Fuzz
2. Jennifer's Body
3. Almost Famous

For the first time ever, I realized that Jimmy Fallon was playing the corporate manager. I'd never realized that and it was...weird to see considering his fame now.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »

the most amazing scenery was reese witherspoon's spectacular rack.
:)
Opulence. I has it.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 02:14:40 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
2 ● Amélie
3 ● Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4 ● On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5 ● They Came Together
6 ● 2001: A Space Odyssey
7 ● The One I Love
8 ● Shooter
9 ● Boy
10 ● Saturday Night Fever
11 ● Marvellous
12 ● No Place on Earth
adding

13 ● The Italian Job (1969)
Birthday screening on our stupidly big telly.
"You were only supposed to Blu-Ray the bloody doors off"

14 ● Shaun of the Dead
"Don't mention the z-word"
15 ● Frank
When I first heard - and LOVED - The Freshies’ “I’m in Love with the Girl on the Manchester Virgin Megastore Checkout Desk” back in 1980 I could never have imagined in a million-zillion years that 3½ decades later that I would sit down and watch a Hollywood movie - starring Michael Fassbender no less - based on Chris Sievey’s papier-mâché-headed character Frank Sidebottom. But that's what this is. MK reviewed it thusly "Not sure how to describe this wild ride of a film... It's about a band... but that doesn't really scratch the surface" and she right. It's like Tim Burton met Captain Beefheart in a dark alleyway and they beat each other the fuck up for 90 minutes. Best head in a movie EVAH!
16 ● Play Time
Jacques Tati's visual masterpiece enjoyed again.
17 ● Schindler's List
Another blu-Ray tour de force.
18 ● Party Party
A rare non-New Years Day rewatch to screen it for friends who had never heard of it, other than my own raving about it
19 ● Dumbo
Kinda sad that no-one did an intervention for a pissed-off-its-tits elephant
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:35:16 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 12:22:36 AM »

• Big Eyes
  • How to Steal A Million - Hadn't seen in ages and couldn't help but to laugh that Eli Wallach in his younger days reminded me of a cross between Joe Pesci and George Costanza.
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel - Finally got to see this gem!

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 06:41:52 PM »

2015 movies:
Here we go!

1. The To Do List It could have been so good (Clark Gregg! Bill Hader! Connie Britton! Alia Shawkat!) and yet, it wasn't.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 11:55:57 PM »

2015 movies:
Here we go!

1. The To Do List It could have been so good (Clark Gregg! Bill Hader! Connie Britton! Alia Shawkat!) and yet, it wasn't.

2. The Internship My office plays a pivotal role in this movie! Plus, it was actually pretty good.
3. Leap Year Despite Amy Adams and Adam Scott, this movie is terrible. My not so inner feminist is super annoyed by this movie.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 07:42:43 AM »

1. The Fault in Our Stars - Amazon - 6
2. Snowpiercer - Netflix - 7
3. Blue Ruin - Netflix - 8

4. The Imitation Game - Regal Hollywood 20, Beavercreek - 8

Besides it's extreme desire to turn melodramatic towards the end, the film refuses its baser instincts and remains interesting and thoughtful throughout.  Benedict C. turns in an impressive performance against a moderately one-note villain and I found the computer and philosophical bits of the film as the most interesting.  The time jumps are well done and help the dramatic structure of the film rather than just intending to be showy.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »

1. THE IMITATION GAME – 01/01/15 – AMC PKWY POINTE w/Amanda – Some man ruined this movie for me JUST as the war was ending. It’s all I will ever remember about the movie.
2. JENNIFER LOPEZ: DANCE AGAIN – 01/01/15 – HBO – Don’t judge me. I like flashy costumes, high-intensity dance numbers, and celebrity relationship drama.
3. WELCOME TO THE PUNCH – 01/02/15 – cable – I got sucked into recording this because it stars James McAvoy. I also love Mark Strong. To CR this review, I’d say more like “Welcome to The Suck”.
4. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES – 01/03/15 – AMC PKWY POINTE w/The Greg – Needed more Smaug.
6. NIGHT SHIFT – 01/04/15 – cable – repeat viewing - That kiss between Henry Winkler and Shelley Long was the most awkward in HISTORY.
7. HAPPY CHRISTMAS - 01/05/15 - Netflix - This was my first Joe Swanberg movie and I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like it was all improve at all. Also, that baby (which I think may be his baby) is the best baby EVER in a movie. He has a better sense of humor than most adults.
8. THE TO DO LIST - 01/09/15 - Showtime On Demand - Scruffy Bill Hader is hot. I still can't believe they made her character bite into that thing she found. RUINED the whole movie for me. AND WHO THE EFF WOULD MAKE OUT WITH A GIRL AFTER SEEING HER DO THAT!?!?
9. MR. DYNAMITE: THE RISE OF JAMES BROWN - 01/10/15 - Showtime Documentary - Not a whole lot here that was revelatory but it sure was a thrill to hear Melvin Parker talk about putting a gun to James' face. Ahmir is always a great talking head when it comes to soul/funk docs, but I think my favorite contributor was Christian McBride.
10. THE OTHER WOMAN - 01/10/15 - HBO - This wasn't as TERRIBLE as it was made out to be, but it wasn't great. It was like the movie equivalent of a can of Pringles.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »

1. The Black Castle - I thought it would never end.

2. The Island of Lost Souls.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36   Go Up