Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 movies in 2015  (Read 29709 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Re: 50 movies in 2015
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:41 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
2 ● Amélie
3 ● Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4 ● On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5 ● They Came Together
6 ● 2001: A Space Odyssey
7 ● The One I Love
8 ● Shooter
9 ● Boy
10 ● Saturday Night Fever
11 ● Marvellous
12 ● No Place on Earth
13 ● The Italian Job (1969)
14 ● Shaun of the Dead
15 ● Frank
16 ● Play Time
17 ● Schindler's List
18 ● Party Party
19 ● Dumbo
20 ● Risky Business
21 ● Life of Brian
22 ● Pride
23 ● Taxi Driver
adding

24 ● Gravity
Yes, yes, it's taken me a while to get to this. Not the best film for a vertigo sufferer to sit through (and then some) but a cinematic masterpiece nonetheless. Immersed in the events completely. How CGI should be used. Stunning. However, despite how brilliant it was I NEVER want to see it again.
25 ● The King of Comedy
Far creepier and uncomfortable than I remember it. However, Blu-Ray also highlighted shitloads of continuity errors, shame on you Mr Scorcese. Forgot about the background appearance of The Clash
26 ● Carry On Teacher
1959's offering in the classic Carry On series. I'd like to think I can watch all of the subsequent ones - and in chronological order this year. But I thought I could do that last year too.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:15:16 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 11:02:06 PM »

CR, I assume you saw Gravity at home. It's one of those movies which really needs to be seen on the big screen, and in 3D. Yes, one of the rare movies that justifies 3D. A majestic film for sure, and one of the rare ones I actually saw twice in the theater.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »

Given my vertigo issues, I think if I'd seen Gravity in 3D at the cinema they would still be steam cleaning my seat and the floor around it
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »

Also, it's a movie about space. It's not a time machine. CR didn't see it while it was in theatres. So, should he have just avoided it forever until it was re-released in the cinema?
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »

I wasn't implying anything that CR should or shouldn't have seen Gravity at home. My comment simply was that this is one of those rare movies that really benefits from being seen on the big screen.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 09:55:13 AM »

Given my vertigo issues, I think if I'd seen Gravity in 3D at the cinema they would still be steam cleaning my seat and the floor around it

I also have not enjoyed U2's later works aside from a song here or there.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »

Also, it's a movie about space. It's not a time machine. CR didn't see it while it was in theatres. So, should he have just avoided it forever until it was re-released in the cinema?
Maybe he watched it in a hot tub.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »

John Cusack < Adam Scott < Cockney Rebel
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »

John Cusack < Adam Scott < Cockney Rebel

Skyline Chili Post of the Day

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »

I wasn't implying anything that CR should or shouldn't have seen Gravity at home. My comment simply was that this is one of those rare movies that really benefits from being seen on the big screen.

children of men is one of my favorite movies ever.  i get chills everytime i watch it.  i could only imagine my heart stopping in one of those theaters.  speaking as a person who didn't see children of men nor gravity in the special theaters, gravity pales in comparison.  i did catch y tu mama tambien in imax though.  fuckin weird
poach eggs, not elephants

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 08:52:41 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
2 ● Amélie
3 ● Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4 ● On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5 ● They Came Together
6 ● 2001: A Space Odyssey
7 ● The One I Love
8 ● Shooter
9 ● Boy
10 ● Saturday Night Fever
11 ● Marvellous
12 ● No Place on Earth
13 ● The Italian Job (1969)
14 ● Shaun of the Dead
15 ● Frank
16 ● Play Time
17 ● Schindler's List
18 ● Party Party
19 ● Dumbo
20 ● Risky Business
21 ● Life of Brian
22 ● Pride
23 ● Taxi Driver
24 ● Gravity
25 ● The King of Comedy
26 ● Carry On Teacher
adding

27 ● Space Station 76
We fell for it. We saw trailer for this on "Pride" and it looked quite a laugh.  Set on a Space Station in the 70's where most of the crew smoke, drink heavily and have secrets as bad as their fashion sense. The movie itself ended up being pants (and not even flared pants) as dull and dreary as it could be with the exception of perhaps three good jokes.
28 ● Memento
I got a Christopher Nolan Blu-Ray boxset for Christmas. Working through the films chronologically. Ironic then, that this was the first
29 ● The Spy Who Loved Me
The Bond blu-ray transfers really are something special IMHO, this one included. Hugely impressed.
30 ● Burt's Buzz
Great laid-back documentary about the founder of Burts Bees. He got screwed by his (business) partner but he doesn't seem to bear too many grudges or regrets.
31 ● Carry on Sargeant
1960's offering in the series. First that really grabbed the 'Carry On' style and which featured the inimitable Sid James
32 ● Planes, Trains & Automobiles
I've had this in the 'rewatch' section of our Netflix queue for THE longest length of time. I decided to run it whilst simultaneously doing some paperwork. God, its far more of a mawkish POS than I remember it to be. Horribly over-acted and phenomenal levels of enforced humour.
33 ● Good Morning Vietnam
Likewise in my Netflix queue for seemingly ever. However, this one HAS stood the test of time. Still funny, still moving and Williams is just fantastic
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:37:10 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2015, 06:31:24 AM »

1. Tales of the night - This is how I spent the OSU game. I loved the animation and stories chosen were wonderful.
2. On the town
3. Fun in balloonland - What in God's name did I just watch? I mean, seriously... did someone slip some LSD, cocaine, pot, and meth into my dinner. I am so confused and disturbed and will have some weird-ass dreams tonight. Jeebus... I swear, it was a 30 minute parade of cheap-ass balloons from 1965.
4. Attack of the 50ft woman
5. Force majeure - Saw this at one of the 2 showings in Columbus this weekend. Story of a family falling apart after the husband makes a run for it during an avalanche. It's very, very funny and some of the funniest bits don't involve any dialogue, just facial expressions. Added bonus: the scenery is just mind-blowingly beautiful.
6. Chicken run
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »

1. Tales of the night - This is how I spent the OSU game. I loved the animation and stories chosen were wonderful.
2. On the town
3. Fun in balloonland - What in God's name did I just watch? I mean, seriously... did someone slip some LSD, cocaine, pot, and meth into my dinner. I am so confused and disturbed and will have some weird-ass dreams tonight. Jeebus... I swear, it was a 30 minute parade of cheap-ass balloons from 1965.
4. Attack of the 50ft woman
5. Force majeure - Saw this at one of the 2 showings in Columbus this weekend. Story of a family falling apart after the husband makes a run for it during an avalanche. It's very, very funny and some of the funniest bits don't involve any dialogue, just facial expressions. Added bonus: the scenery is just mind-blowingly beautiful.
6. Chicken run
7. National Gallery - I don't usually go for documentaries but I worked a showing of this 3-hour parade through the National Gallery in London. It was fascinating, beautiful and boring. My favorites bits were in the conservation and restoration labs, it was fascinating to watch the conservators work. The lack of a cohesive narrative made it drag considerably at points.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »

Movies seen in 2015 (new movies in bold):
1. Hot Fuzz
2. Jennifer's Body
3. Almost Famous
4. How To Train Your Dragon 2
5. The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies
6. A Knight's Tale
7. The Imitation Game
8. In A World...
9. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion

10. Grosse Pointe Blank
11. Casablanca

Romy: That was annoying the whole time and I was regretting my decision to watch it. But in the end, after seeing the whole thing, I enjoyed it.

Grosse Pointe Blank: Had seen it before, but hadn't figured out that the main character's last name was Blank back then...and hence the name! I'm dumb sometimes.

Casablanca: Oooooh, so that's what the world famous movie was... not what I expected, but very good.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 08:14:37 AM »

1. The Fault in Our Stars - Amazon - 6
2. Snowpiercer - Netflix - 7
3. Blue Ruin - Netflix - 8
4. The Imitation Game - Regal Hollywood 20, Beavercreek - 8
5. Proxy - Netflix - 7
6. Divergent - Blu-Ray - 3

7. American Sniper - Rave Dayton South - ??

This is a very engaging film.  I find it difficult to review, because I found the complete and total lack of alternate viewpoints to "America, fuck yeah!" in the film hard to reconcile with my own feelings about the neverending Middle Eastern conflict. 

The battle scenes are tense, engaging, and immediate.  Cooper does a good job as the Sniper in question.  I found that once his character entered the military, the home front scenes were harpy and too short to show adequate background.  I also was a bit disappointed at the glossed-over nature of the ending.  But I would recommend it as a straight action film for sure.

8. Oculus - Netflix - 6

Spooky, tension-building, ominous... but spotty.  They don't really do a great job at explaining the nature of the evil occurring... but that didn't make it any less tense for me.  Enjoyable overall.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36   Go Up