Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 movies in 2015  (Read 29705 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 movies in 2015
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »

1. THE IMITATION GAME – 01/01/15 – AMC PKWY POINTE w/Amanda – Some man ruined this movie for me JUST as the war was ending. It’s all I will ever remember about the movie.
2. JENNIFER LOPEZ: DANCE AGAIN – 01/01/15 – HBO – Don’t judge me. I like flashy costumes, high-intensity dance numbers, and celebrity relationship drama.
3. WELCOME TO THE PUNCH – 01/02/15 – cable – I got sucked into recording this because it stars James McAvoy. I also love Mark Strong. To CR this review, I’d say more like “Welcome to The Suck”.
4. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES – 01/03/15 – AMC PKWY POINTE w/The Greg – Needed more Smaug.
5. THE ONE I LOVE – 01/03/15 – Netflix – And now I’m POSITIVE that I will never go to couples therapy.
6. NIGHT SHIFT – 01/04/15 – cable – repeat viewing - That kiss between Henry Winkler and Shelley Long was the most awkward in HISTORY.
7. HAPPY CHRISTMAS - 01/05/15 - Netflix - This was my first Joe Swanberg movie and I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like it was all improve at all. Also, that baby (which I think may be his baby) is the best baby EVER in a movie. He has a better sense of humor than most adults.
8. THE TO DO LIST - 01/09/15 - Showtime On Demand - Scruffy Bill Hader is hot. I still can't believe they made her character bite into that thing she found. RUINED the whole movie for me. AND WHO THE EFF WOULD MAKE OUT WITH A GIRL AFTER SEEING HER DO THAT!?!?
9. MR. DYNAMITE: THE RISE OF JAMES BROWN - 01/10/15 - Showtime Documentary - Not a whole lot here that was revelatory but it sure was a thrill to hear Melvin Parker talk about putting a gun to James' face. Ahmir is always a great talking head when it comes to soul/funk docs, but I think my favorite contributor was Christian McBride.
10. THE OTHER WOMAN - 01/10/15 - HBO - This wasn't as TERRIBLE as it was made out to be, but it wasn't great. It was like the movie equivalent of a can of Pringles.
11. THE LEGO MOVIE - 01/02/15 - HBO - I'm an idiot. I forgot to note earlier that I finally watched this movie and LOOOOOOOOVED it so much. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!?!?! It was visually amazing, loved the message and the humor, and who can get away from that movie without singing "Everything is Awesome!"?!?!?! BOO on the Oscar snub for the movie, but YAY for the song's nomination.
12. LA BARE - 01/25/15 - cable - Joe Manganiello's documentary about the all male strip club in Texas
13. FINDING VIVAN MAIER - 01/25/15 - cable - This one is still sitting with me. Thoughts. Lots of thoughts.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »

It's been a slow start for me this year. Way too many movies are being held and held and held for way too long. Here my first list of the year:

1. Top Five (Regal Belltower, Fort Myers, FL)
2. The Gambler (Regal Belltower, Fort Myers, FL)
3. A Night at the Opera (TMC)
4. A Day at the Races (TMC)
5. The Odd Couple (TMC)
6. Big Eyes (Regal Belltower, Fort Myers, FL)
7. The Imitation Game (Regal Belltower, Fort Myers, FL)
8. Inherent Vice (Regal Gulf Coast, Fort Myers, FL)
9. Selma (Mariemont Theater)
10. American Sniper (Cinemark Oakley)
11. Love Me (Film Movement DVD; 2013 from Ukraine)
12. Sick Birds Die Easy (DVD)
13. Cake (Esquire Theater)
14. Reportero (DVD)

The Imitation Game seems okay as you're watching it but upon reflection doesn't leave much of a lasting impression, and I'd say it's a pretty weak movie, strictly bio-pic by the numbers. I'm surprised it's gotten that much attention from Oscar voters. Surely the weakest movie among the Best Picture nominees.

Selma could've been great, but the decision by the director to portray LBJ differently from what history has proven, is unforgiveable and I'm glad the movie got snubbed as it did by Oscar voters. And please, save me the "racist" remarks. This is the same bunch of Oscar voters that gladly voted 12 Years a Slave for multiple Oscars just last year, including Best Picture. For some people, it's always someone else's "fault". Never their own.

American Sniper is THE surprise of the Oscar nominating season. I mean, it's becoming a true box office phenom and will almost certainly gross more than all the other Best Picture nominees COMBINED. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up winning Best Picture. (The fact that it's actually pretty darn good, also helps...)

In Cake, Jennifer Aniston proves she's more than a pretty face and that she can actually ACT. Really surprised that she wasn't nominated for Best Actress for this performance (over, say, Keira Knightley for The Imitation Game).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »

13. FINDING VIVAN MAIER - 01/25/15 - cable - This one is still sitting with me. Thoughts. Lots of thoughts.
One of the best 3 documentaries from last year (the other two being Jodorowsky's Dune and Tim's Vermeer) , and a well-deserved Best Documentary Oscar nominee. I'm hoping it wins.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »

I occasionally check up on these film threads, eventhough I rarely have time to watch any movies. For my own amusement I will try to keep a list this year. Maybe I can hit 5. How many times can I count Frozen?

1. Frozen
2. 30 for 30: The Day the Series Stopped
- This was about the earthquake that struck during the 1989 World Series between San Francisco and Oakland. I was only 7 at the time, but I remember a lot of the images; the section of the Bay Bridge that collapsed, the double deck highway that collapsed on top of itself, the destruction and fires, and even the guy who was up on the light pole at Candlestick. They had stories like that of the one of the few people who survived the highway collapse (who was a firefighter, by the way) and was pulled out of there by his own father, who was a firefighter on the scene. And, of course, they had the perspective of several players. Something like that really humanizes these guys. They had footage of Canseco in full uniform at a gas station. It was a pretty captivating documentary.

Oh, I was also going to say they talked about the construction of Candlestick and that they had been working on fixing & reinforcing the ballpark. That project was fortunately ahead of schedule and that may have saved thousands of lives.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:00:33 PM by jcarwash31 »

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
2 ● Amélie
3 ● Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4 ● On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5 ● They Came Together
6 ● 2001: A Space Odyssey
7 ● The One I Love
8 ● Shooter
9 ● Boy
10 ● Saturday Night Fever
11 ● Marvellous
12 ● No Place on Earth
13 ● The Italian Job (1969)
14 ● Shaun of the Dead
15 ● Frank
16 ● Play Time
17 ● Schindler's List
18 ● Party Party
19 ● Dumbo
20 ● Risky Business
21 ● Life of Brian
22 ● Pride
23 ● Taxi Driver
24 ● Gravity
25 ● The King of Comedy
26 ● Carry On Teacher
27 ● Space Station 76
28 ● Memento
29 ● The Spy Who Loved Me
30 ● Burt's Buzz
31 ● Carry on Sergeant
32 ● Planes, Trains & Automobiles
33 ● Good Morning Vietnam
adding

34 ● The Day the Series Stopped
We were intrigued enough by jcarwash31's description to hunt down this documentary film on Netflix. A horrifying and fascinating slice of history REALLY shittily told. Bad, bad, bad soundtrack synched up with cut & rush imagery that undermined everything. Far too many slices of video were repeated over and over and over again, whilst we were lucky if we got 1 second of each of a collection of b&w photographs taken by someone who went to where the Bay Bridge collapsed, which looked really good. A director with a modicum of fucking restraint should be employed to remake this documentary, instead we got an approximation of life & death being reduced to something akin to a fuckawful 80's MTV pop video
35 ● The Band That Wouldn't Die
To get the bad taste put of our mouths with that San Francisco documentary we delved into 30 for 30's listing for some more sports non-fiction. This tale about the Baltimore Colts Marching Band - and how they never quit even when the team disgracefully fucked off to Indianapolis - was heartwarming, well told and with the ludicrous bells and whistles of #34. Quite honestly though the VERY best 30 for 30 doc is the one about "Hillsborough"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:07:34 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »

Just a general comment on the "30 for 30" ESPN series: as much as lots of us dislike ESPN for the reasons we all know, those documentaries are often quite good, I know I've watched a number of them.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2015, 06:31:32 AM »

1. Tales of the night - This is how I spent the OSU game. I loved the animation and stories chosen were wonderful.
2. On the town
3. Fun in balloonland - What in God's name did I just watch? I mean, seriously... did someone slip some LSD, cocaine, pot, and meth into my dinner. I am so confused and disturbed and will have some weird-ass dreams tonight. Jeebus... I swear, it was a 30 minute parade of cheap-ass balloons from 1965.
4. Attack of the 50ft woman
5. Force majeure - Saw this at one of the 2 showings in Columbus this weekend. Story of a family falling apart after the husband makes a run for it during an avalanche. It's very, very funny and some of the funniest bits don't involve any dialogue, just facial expressions. Added bonus: the scenery is just mind-blowingly beautiful.
6. Chicken run
7. National Gallery - I don't usually go for documentaries but I worked a showing of this 3-hour parade through the National Gallery in London. It was fascinating, beautiful and boring. My favorites bits were in the conservation and restoration labs, it was fascinating to watch the conservators work. The lack of a cohesive narrative made it drag considerably at points.
8. Ragnarok - A Norwegian monster movie that gets most everything right.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:41 AM »

1. The Fault in Our Stars - Amazon - 6
2. Snowpiercer - Netflix - 7
3. Blue Ruin - Netflix - 8
4. The Imitation Game - Regal Hollywood 20, Beavercreek - 8
5. Proxy - Netflix - 7
6. Divergent - Blu-Ray - 3
7. American Sniper - Rave Dayton South - ??
8. Oculus - Netflix - 6

9. Ida - Netflix - 4

I could not get into this movie for whatever reason.  It's got a couple of great characters at the center, but the film is so... quiet that it can lose you.  There is almost no score or even ambient sound, and Ida is nearly expressionless throughout.  Her aunt whom you meet fairly early on is a fiery sort, but even so, many shots linger on the actresses just staring thoughtfully.

I get it... it's an artful meditation on the film's subject matter.  If I was in a different mood, maybe I would love it.  But as it was, it bored me to death.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »

Movies seen in 2015 (new movies in bold):
1. Hot Fuzz
2. Jennifer's Body
3. Almost Famous
4. How To Train Your Dragon 2
5. The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies
6. A Knight's Tale
7. The Imitation Game
8. In A World...
9. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion

10. Grosse Pointe Blank
11. Casablanca
12. Snowpiercer

Snowpiercer is a sci-fi story about a frozen over earth and the remains of humanity are living on a technologically advanced train that is separated by classes. It has a million plot holes and sci-fi holes, but overall it's done artfully and has fun action sequences. A nice cast, too, with Chris Evans doing superbly. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I wouldn't dis-recommend it either.

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:25 AM »

We were intrigued enough by jcarwash31's description to hunt down this documentary film on Netflix. A horrifying and fascinating slice of history REALLY shittily told. Bad, bad, bad soundtrack synched up with cut & rush imagery that undermined everything. Far too many slices of video were repeated over and over and over again, whilst we were lucky if we got 1 second of each of a collection of b&w photographs taken by someone who went to where the Bay Bridge collapsed, which looked really good. A director with a modicum of fucking restraint should be employed to remake this documentary, instead we got an approximation of life & death being reduced to something akin to a fuckawful 80's MTV pop video
I did notice the repeated video slices. It's almost like it was made with commercial breaks in mind. I was also disappointed that the story about the photo journalist was brief and ended abruptly. For me, I think just the history alone and that I'm a huge baseball fan and was just a kid at the time was enough for me to be interested in this.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »

1.  Frequencies
2.  In a World
3.  Knights of Badassdom

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
2 ● Amélie
3 ● Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4 ● On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5 ● They Came Together
6 ● 2001: A Space Odyssey
7 ● The One I Love
8 ● Shooter
9 ● Boy
10 ● Saturday Night Fever
11 ● Marvellous
12 ● No Place on Earth
13 ● The Italian Job (1969)
14 ● Shaun of the Dead
15 ● Frank
16 ● Play Time
17 ● Schindler's List
18 ● Party Party
19 ● Dumbo
20 ● Risky Business
21 ● Life of Brian
22 ● Pride
23 ● Taxi Driver
24 ● Gravity
25 ● The King of Comedy
26 ● Carry On Teacher
27 ● Space Station 76
28 ● Memento
29 ● The Spy Who Loved Me
30 ● Burt's Buzz
31 ● Carry on Sergeant
32 ● Planes, Trains & Automobiles
33 ● Good Morning Vietnam
35 ● The Band That Wouldn't Die
adding

36 ● Mood Indigo
Some seriously fucked up visuals from the seriously fucked up mind of Michel Gondry. I could watch this ten times and still not completely see/catch everything that's going on in some of the scenes. The story doesn't really matter, except it does to appreciate it all, just revel in the imagery.
37 ● Rebel Without a Cause
A disappointing Blu-Ray transfer compared to other films of the same age. Actually, it turns out that this was not the great movie I thought it was when I was a teenager and 'obsessed' with James Dean.
38 ● And So It Goes
This Rob Reiner abortion should not have gone "straight to DVD", it should've gone "straight to landfill". I'll always watch Diane Keaton but she really is testing my patience by appearing in d-grade shit like this mawkish retread
39 ● Dick Tracy
I'll be honest and say I thought the primary colours this movie was filmed in would POP!! when viewed via a BluRay transfer, but they turned out merely 'ok'. Shame. BluRay didn't improve Madonna's acting either.
40 ● Seven Psychopaths
Blu-ray added nothing to this visually but it was well worth a second watching as it is SUCH a fun bit of movie making, albeit quite gory at times. Great humour abounds 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:58:06 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:22 PM »

2015 movies:

1. The To Do List It could have been so good (Clark Gregg! Bill Hader! Connie Britton! Alia Shawkat!) and yet, it wasn't.
2. The Internship My office plays a pivotal role in this movie! Plus, it was actually pretty good.
3. Leap Year Despite Amy Adams and Adam Scott, this movie is terrible. My not so inner feminist is super annoyed by this movie.

4. Blackhat +1 for going to see it with Lando's friend Gwynner! And for Thor hacking shirtless.  It was better than I expected, and Viola Davis was really good in it. The hand-held camera style was headache inducing, and it was definitely shot with an eye towards global release- and it will make bank. 

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:05 AM »

New (to me) films in bold James Dean.[/size][/color]
38 ● And So It Goes
This Rob Reiner abortion should not have gone "straight to DVD", it should've gone "straight to landfill". I'll always watch Diane Keaton but she really is testing my patience by appearing in d-grade shit like this mawkish retread
OH NO! You watched that piece of shit too?!?!?!!? I thought it was THE WORST MOVIE OF 2014! I saw it at the cheapy theatre and almost walked out. I have NEVER walked out of a movie, but this was only the 3rd time I ever *really* considered doing so (the other two were COLOR OF NIGHT in 1994 and NOTHING BUT TROUBLE in 1991). I still can't believe that Rob Reiner, Diane Keaton, and Michael Douglas were capable of making a movie that was so god-awful.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2015, 10:24:55 AM »

1. The Fault in Our Stars - Amazon - 6
2. Snowpiercer - Netflix - 7
3. Blue Ruin - Netflix - 8
4. The Imitation Game - Regal Hollywood 20, Beavercreek - 8
5. Proxy - Netflix - 7
6. Divergent - Blu-Ray - 3
7. American Sniper - Rave Dayton South - ??
8. Oculus - Netflix - 6
9. Ida - Netflix - 4

10. In a World... - Netflix - 6

The worst thing about this movie is that the main storyline is not the best one in the movie.  I would've given a 9 for the movie that followed the Rob Corddry / Michaela Watkins marriage struggles and resolution.  That was outstanding. 

As for the voiceover stuff, that world felt like it wasn't very fleshed out and I mostly didn't care about it.  I liked the writing overall, and Lake Bell was ok but it was just that... ok.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36   Go Up