Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 movies in 2015  (Read 28301 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 movies in 2015
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 10:18:37 AM »

Movies seen in 2015 (new movies in bold):
1. Hot Fuzz
2. Jennifer's Body
3. Almost Famous
4. How To Train Your Dragon 2
5. The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Dragon 2: Awww, that was adorable. The g/f asked me a half-dozen times why we don't have a pet dragon yet?
Hobbit 3: Messed up and had to see it in 3D. That sucked. The movie...also kinda sucked. I mean, it was fine, but it wasn't great or anything. The fighting scenes could have been cut down by about an hour. Still, weirdly, I'm glad I saw it.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
2 ● Amélie
3 ● Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4 ● On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5 ● They Came Together
6 ● 2001: A Space Odyssey
7 ● The One I Love
8 ● Shooter
9 ● Boy
10 ● Saturday Night Fever
11 ● Marvellous
12 ● No Place on Earth
13 ● The Italian Job (1969)
14 ● Shaun of the Dead
15 ● Frank
16 ● Play Time
17 ● Schindler's List
18 ● Party Party
19 ● Dumbo
adding

20 ● Risky Business
Tom Cruise's later douchebaggery made up for by Rebecca De Phwoooaaaarnay. Worst Blu-Ray experience since getting into the format. Disappointing transfer
21 ● Life of Brian
Couldn't wait until Easter to watch my Crimble present BluRay of this to see what kind of transfer it was. Verdict? Bloody brilliant. The DVD quality has always been utter shite so it was nice to see this all dolled up and looking lovely. MK even spotted George Harrison's cameo in the crowd which I had never noticed before.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:06:33 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »

8. THE TO DO LIST - 01/09/15 - Showtime On Demand - Scruffy Bill Hader is hot. I still can't believe they made her character bite into that thing she found. RUINED the whole movie for me. AND WHO THE EFF WOULD MAKE OUT WITH A GIRL AFTER SEEING HER DO THAT!?!?

Yes! And the leveling up (?) of what she planned to do seemed a bit out of whack. She's never French kissed, but that is on the list after some rather creative experiments? Eyeroll.
Skeevy Scott Porter made up for a whole lot, though. He plays that role so well, which is kind of frightening.

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 05:58:50 PM »

I occasionally check up on these film threads, eventhough I rarely have time to watch any movies. For my own amusement I will try to keep a list this year. Maybe I can hit 5. How many times can I count Frozen?

1. Frozen
The kiddo was familiar with the songs from daycare, so we bought it for her for Christmas. She's not quite 2 yet, but her attention span for this was impressive. Plus, it's really adorable when she sings "Let it go".

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 09:22:03 PM »

1. Tales of the night - This is how I spent the OSU game. I loved the animation and stories chosen were wonderful.
2. On the town
3. Fun in balloonland - What in God's name did I just watch? I mean, seriously... did someone slip some LSD, cocaine, pot, and meth into my dinner. I am so confused and disturbed and will have some weird-ass dreams tonight. Jeebus... I swear, it was a 30 minute parade of cheap-ass balloons from 1965.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »

How many times can I count Frozen?
As many times as you watch it. Make up your own rules.

I suspect that, personally, I will be double/triple/bulk listing several movies this coming year
Opulence. I has it.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »

I ususally stop counting a movie after the third time, but that's just because I'm embarrassed to admit watching the same movie that many times. I don't have a small child to blame it on/get obsessed about these things.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
2 ● Amélie
3 ● Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4 ● On Her Majesty's Secret Service
5 ● They Came Together
6 ● 2001: A Space Odyssey
7 ● The One I Love
8 ● Shooter
9 ● Boy
10 ● Saturday Night Fever
11 ● Marvellous
12 ● No Place on Earth
13 ● The Italian Job (1969)
14 ● Shaun of the Dead
15 ● Frank
16 ● Play Time
17 ● Schindler's List
18 ● Party Party
19 ● Dumbo
20 ● Risky Business
21 ● Life of Brian
adding

22 ● Pride
Movie based on the true story of how a London-based gay and lesbian group supported the Welsh miners during the 1984 pit strikes, and how that support did so much more than could ever be imagined. Superb story very well told and thoroughly recommended. Made me proud to be British.
23 ● Taxi Driver
I never tire of this movie. Another impressive Blu-Ray transfer
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:01:07 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 04:56:29 PM »

1. wild
2.  her

3.  catch 22- what a cast!  art garfunkel!  i know this isn't the proper forum. they left out some of my favorite parts of the book and with it a lot of the humor.  the book was a dark comedy, but the film version wasn't very funny.  it was more enjoyable to see what the actors looked like way back then.  alan arkin looked like seth mcfarlane.  charles grodin and jon voight were barely recognizable

4.  the counselor.  this wasn't very good.  way too long and boring and then all this gruesome violence at once.  maybe cormac mccarthy shouldn't write screenplays.  michael fassbender is a helluvan actor though
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 10:55:47 AM »

1. THE IMITATION GAME – 01/01/15 – AMC PKWY POINTE w/Amanda – Some man ruined this movie for me JUST as the war was ending. It’s all I will ever remember about the movie.
2. JENNIFER LOPEZ: DANCE AGAIN – 01/01/15 – HBO – Don’t judge me. I like flashy costumes, high-intensity dance numbers, and celebrity relationship drama.
3. WELCOME TO THE PUNCH – 01/02/15 – cable – I got sucked into recording this because it stars James McAvoy. I also love Mark Strong. To CR this review, I’d say more like “Welcome to The Suck”.
4. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES – 01/03/15 – AMC PKWY POINTE w/The Greg – Needed more Smaug.
5. THE ONE I LOVE – 01/03/15 – Netflix – And now I’m POSITIVE that I will never go to couples therapy.
6. NIGHT SHIFT – 01/04/15 – cable – repeat viewing - That kiss between Henry Winkler and Shelley Long was the most awkward in HISTORY.
7. HAPPY CHRISTMAS - 01/05/15 - Netflix - This was my first Joe Swanberg movie and I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like it was all improve at all. Also, that baby (which I think may be his baby) is the best baby EVER in a movie. He has a better sense of humor than most adults.
8. THE TO DO LIST - 01/09/15 - Showtime On Demand - Scruffy Bill Hader is hot. I still can't believe they made her character bite into that thing she found. RUINED the whole movie for me. AND WHO THE EFF WOULD MAKE OUT WITH A GIRL AFTER SEEING HER DO THAT!?!?
9. MR. DYNAMITE: THE RISE OF JAMES BROWN - 01/10/15 - Showtime Documentary - Not a whole lot here that was revelatory but it sure was a thrill to hear Melvin Parker talk about putting a gun to James' face. Ahmir is always a great talking head when it comes to soul/funk docs, but I think my favorite contributor was Christian McBride.
10. THE OTHER WOMAN - 01/10/15 - HBO - This wasn't as TERRIBLE as it was made out to be, but it wasn't great. It was like the movie equivalent of a can of Pringles.
11. THE LEGO MOVIE - 01/02/15 - HBO - I'm an idiot. I forgot to note earlier that I finally watched this movie and LOOOOOOOOVED it so much. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!?!?! It was visually amazing, loved the message and the humor, and who can get away from that movie without singing "Everything is Awesome!"?!?!?! BOO on the Oscar snub for the movie, but YAY for the song's nomination.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2015, 10:54:43 PM »

1. wild
2.  her
3.  catch 22
4.  the counselor

5. laggies.  one of the rare films where the lady and i can agree upon.  this one surprised me a bit.  it was a little formulaic and forced, but c'mon, sam rockwell's great! 

poach eggs, not elephants

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 06:17:55 AM »

1. Tales of the night - This is how I spent the OSU game. I loved the animation and stories chosen were wonderful.
2. On the town
3. Fun in balloonland - What in God's name did I just watch? I mean, seriously... did someone slip some LSD, cocaine, pot, and meth into my dinner. I am so confused and disturbed and will have some weird-ass dreams tonight. Jeebus... I swear, it was a 30 minute parade of cheap-ass balloons from 1965.
4. Attack of the 50ft woman
5. Force majeure - Saw this at one of the 2 showings in Columbus this weekend. Story of a family falling apart after the husband makes a run for it during an avalanche. It's very, very funny and some of the funniest bits don't involve any dialogue, just facial expressions. Added bonus: the scenery is just mind-blowingly beautiful.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 07:47:14 AM »

1. The Fault in Our Stars - Amazon - 6
2. Snowpiercer - Netflix - 7
3. Blue Ruin - Netflix - 8
4. The Imitation Game - Regal Hollywood 20, Beavercreek - 8

5. Proxy - Netflix - 7

Went in expecting this 2 hour thriller to be a bit too long for my liking, was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't.  The film is well-shot and the score is surprisingly effective... even when occasionally the acting is not.  The whole intent is to make the viewer feel uneasy right from the beginning, and the film succeeds at that fairly quickly despite some jarring tonal shifts.  My attention didn't lag even when the film has to recover from a near resolution at around the one hour mark.

Also am giving this a +1 for being able to recognize an Elder-Beerman about 40 minutes in (though they for obvious reasons didn't want their brand to be shown)... turns out this was shot in and around Richmond, Indiana.  So, kudos to quasi-local filmmakers for making not a terrible film.

6. Divergent - Blu-Ray - 3

I think I am suffering from what experts like to call "dystopian future fatigue", as this is film #5 that I've seen in the last 12 months that is based of a YA novel envisioning not the brightest of futures.  This one, unlike the 2 Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, and The Giver envisions a future where the leaders basically thumb their noses at the living following a great war by trying to create a peaceful society based around the inherent ideas of separate and unequal factions.  Good luck with that.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this, but I thought this was the most poorly written of the five for the screen, and C-Fan tells me that there were not as many action set-pieces in the book as there are in the film... which helps explain a lot.  They tried to Hollywood-up the book, and did not succeed.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »

Has anyone seen "American Sniper" yet? Holy cow. Totally blown away.... and the ending was like a sucker punch from which I'm still recovering. Clint Eastwood continues to master his directing skills, and IMHO is one of the best mainstream Hollywood directors these days. He's a crisp 84 young now, if you can believe it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »

Movies seen in 2015 (new movies in bold):
1. Hot Fuzz
2. Jennifer's Body
3. Almost Famous
4. How To Train Your Dragon 2
5. The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies
6. A Knight's Tale
7. The Imitation Game
8. In A World...

A Knight's Tale: if my g/f, who had seen it before, had not been with me telling me how adorable it was and how purposefully anachronistic it was, I probably would have been railing against all of the impossibilities it presents. However, she turned me from the dark side to the light side and I thought it was great.

Imitation Game: quality film all around, and such an amazing yet sad story. I did not think it was of "Best Picture" winning quality and won't beat out Boyhood or Birdman, though. Still ... it's quite good.

In A World...: Very good indie film from Lake Bell about the voice over world. Really enjoyed it and recommended.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36   Go Up