Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2015  (Read 4372 times)

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
50 books in 2015
« on: January 04, 2015, 02:37:14 PM »

1. Let'sExplore Diabetes with Owls - David Sedaris.
Hilarious like his other books. It makes me want to see him again next time he comes to town.
Well.......

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:09:42 AM »

1. "Me Before You" - Jojo Moyes
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »

1 ● Graham Nash - Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life
It's taken me far too long to finish this. The first half of the book was rollercoastery good, so much so that I was recommending it to all who would listen to me. Then, the third quarter of it dragged like a motherfucker and I began to regret my initial raving. Then, with the final few chapters it became interesting again. I would guess that the book was ghost written of a fashion but that Nash himself took over that dull drugs-hatecrosby-lovecrosby-tour-drugs-loveyoung-hateyoung-stillsismyfriend-stillsisanasshole-drugs-tour-drugs-studio-drugs-drugs-drugs-imissjoni-drugs-tour-peace,man section
Opulence. I has it.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »

1. Upheaval Stories - Chris Holbrook

Holbrook, a native of Eastern Kentucjy and an associate professor of English at Morehead State University, writes with a gritty, unflinching realism about the poverty, isolation, struggles and change facing the people of a region devastated by the coal, strip mining and timber industries. Each short story in this slim compilation chronicles and indeed champions the working poor of Appalachia, and could only be written by someone who has lived within this world. I have read very few writers of Appalachian culture who actually get it right. Janice Holt Giles got it, eventually, after years of being an outsider, but without a doubt Holbrook gets it exactly.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:58:04 PM »

Hilarious like his other books. It makes me want to see him again next time he comes to town.

2. The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion
Very entertaining novel. I plan on adding the sequel to my list.
Well.......

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 07:07:13 AM »

1. Upheaval Stories - Chris Holbrook

Holbrook, a native of Eastern Kentucjy and an associate professor of English at Morehead State University, writes with a gritty, unflinching realism about the poverty, isolation, struggles and change facing the people of a region devastated by the coal, strip mining and timber industries. Each short story in this slim compilation chronicles and indeed champions the working poor of Appalachia, and could only be written by someone who has lived within this world. I have read very few writers of Appalachian culture who actually get it right. Janice Holt Giles got it, eventually, after years of being an outsider, but without a doubt Holbrook gets it exactly.

2. Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter - Celia Haddon

Quick read from a retired journalist-turned-cat behavior scientist, who takes on the task of fostering cats through Great Britain's Cat Protection Agency. She chronicles the experience of fostering a severely frightened, traumatized and ugly cat named Tilly, interspersed with the lessons she learned from other rescue cats she took in over the years. Uplifting most of the time, but sprinkled with plenty of depressing bits too, especially with regards to her husband's ailing health. Possibly not the wisest choice of material whilst recovering from spinal surgery.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »

3. Divergent - Virginia Roth
Alex and I took turns reading this aloud to each other. Next up for our joint reading session, Insurgent.
Well.......

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 04:02:28 PM »

2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:54:46 PM »

Alex and I took turns reading this aloud to each other. Next up for our joint reading session, Insurgent.

4. Rise - Daniel Rodriguez

Autobiography about an Army veteran of Iraq & Afghanistan who went on to play football for Clemson. I loved it, of course!
Well.......

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 10:44:18 PM »

1 ● Graham Nash - Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life
adding
2 ● Celia Haddon - Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter
Ugly? I'll tell you what's ugly; this writer's self-absorbed style of writing. No wander poor Tilly took her time to warm to the household, she was smothered by a domineering 'mother'
Opulence. I has it.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »

4. Rise - Daniel Rodriguez

Autobiography about an Army veteran of Iraq & Afghanistan who went on to play football for Clemson. I loved it, of course!

5. Strengths Finder 2.0 - Tom Rath

This is a typical book in the management circles that people read. According to this book and it's online assessment, my strengths are: woo, communication, includer, achiever, and context.
Well.......

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »

2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end. This ended up having a dash of horror thrown in and that will definitely stick with me for a while. But, it was well done. Plus, it was only 400 pages. A novella for that dude.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »

Have your read 11/22/63, Lando?  It's pretty thick, but the character development is fantastic.  Would definitely scratch that nostalgic itch of yours.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »

Have your read 11/22/63, Lando?  It's pretty thick, but the character development is fantastic.  Would definitely scratch that nostalgic itch of yours.
I have not. Thanks for the recommendation.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »

Not that I'll be getting up to 50, but thought I would chronicle an actual book I had read, the first full one for years:

1. The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell

I'm far from the guy who should be reviewing books, but I enjoyed this one.  It came real close to losing me, but luckily Chapter 5 finally dug full-on into the mythology that was going on during the rest of the novel.  And even though some of that was hard to understand because it was a self-contained mythos, it all added up to a pretty satisfying whole.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up