Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2015  (Read 12554 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2015
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2015, 08:19:44 PM »

1. Upheaval Stories - Chris Holbrook
2. Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter - Celia Haddon
3. Americanah - Chimamada Ngozi Adiche
4. Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food: The Ultimate Weekend Cookbook - Jamie Oliver
5. Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes - Jamie Oliver
6. Jamie Oliver's Great Britain - Jamie Oliver
7. Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
8. Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus ad Mary Chain Story - Zoe Howe
9. Going Off Alarming - Danny Baker
10. The Ginger & White Cookbook - Tonia George, Emma Scott and Nicholas Scott
11. Chinese Whiskers - Pallavi Aiyar
12. Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America - Jill Leovy
13. Match of My Life: 18 Saints Relive Their Greatest Games - Joe Batchelor and Alex Cook
14. Nick Drake Remembered For A While - The Authorized Companion to the Music of Nick Drake
15. The Borrower - Rebecca Makkai
16. Delicious! - Ruth Riechl

17. I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp - Richard Hell

Superb memoir from former Television and Heartbreakers bassist, and Voidoid frontman. His descriptions of the people, places and times of scuzzy New York City from the late 60s through the early 80s are fantastic, brave and brutally honest.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »

Superb memoir from former Television and Heartbreakers bassist, and Voidoid frontman. His descriptions of the people, places and times of scuzzy New York City from the late 60s through the early 80s are fantastic, brave and brutally honest.
X2

Read it earlier this year. Superb. A must read for any 'serious' music fan.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »

X2

Read it earlier this year. Superb. A must read for any 'serious' music fan.

I loved the description he gave of one of his early girlfriend's tits where he likened them to "a couple of Eeyores."

Have you read his other books? I haven't, but enjoyed this one so much that I plan to seek them out now.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2015, 05:33:55 PM »

Have you read his other books? I haven't, but enjoyed this one so much that I plan to seek them out now.
I have not, and I don't know that I will. I've got so many other books in the queue.

I recently read Chrissie Hynde's memoir (she of the Pretenders). Simply outstanding, although from the Amazon reviews, many Pretenders fans were disappointed because she doesn't even mention the Pretenders until well two-thirds into the book. It's basically a coming-of-age memoir. Her memories of growing up in Akron and eventually ending up in London fascinating. Did you know she was a student at Kent State when the 1970 shootings took place and that she was actually right then and there? Her laser-sharp memories from the days leading up to that are one of the book's highlights.

I recently also read, believe it or not, Jewel's memoir. I saw it at the library and couldn't help myself. It's okay but nowhere at the level of the earlier mentioned. I've always had a soft spot for/secret crush on Jewel. Did you know that Jewel's mom, who managed her for a number of years, swindled all of her money, and Jewel was flat-broke only some years after selling 15 million copies of "Pieces of Me". Wow.

I'm currently almost finished reading Elvis Costello's memoir, clocking in at close to 700 pages... But equally enjoyable. Unlike most memoirs, it is not chronological. He essentially zig-zags all over the place, like one gigantic stream of consciousness. But somehow it works.

In the queue, among many others: Carrie Brownstein's new memoir (Sleater-Kinney), Patti Smith's latest (her "Kids" memoir was fantastic), and a bunch of other (non-music/non-celebrity) memoirs.

I should mention that it is a complete coincidence that I've been reading all these musical memoirs lately. I hadn't read a 'celebrity' memoir in YEARS, but I love me some music....

If you like memoirs (which is 90% or more of what I read), check out Mary "The Liar's Club" Karr's new book called "The Art of Memoir". It's even better if you've read Karr's 3 memoirs.

Other amazing memoirs I read recently is from debuting author Christina McDowell ("After Perfect: A Daughter's Memoir"), as well as "Bastards" from another debut writer, Mary King.

All of course available at our public library. I don't know what I would do without it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »

My friend says the audiobook of the Costello autobiography is awesome
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »

Why didn't I think of this earlier? I'm definitely going to go the audiobook route when I get around to this one. THANKS for the head's up, CR.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »

1. "Me Before You" - Jojo Moyes
2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
4. "Shadow of Night" - Deborah Harkness (audiobook)
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
6. "The Vacationers" - Emma Straub
7. "Landline" - Rainbow Rowell
8. "The Black Echo" - Michael Connelly - the first book in the Harry Bosch series.
9. "The Girl on the Train" - Paula Hawkins
10. "The Burning Room" - the last book in the Harry Bosch series - I really like Harry's new partner. Wondering if Connelly is really preparing for Bosch's retirement by passing on the reader's affection to Lucky Lucy. She seems competent and likeable enough to carry her own series.
11. "The Last Coyote" - Michael Connelly - Harry tries to solve his own mother's murder. It's a dooooozie.
12. "Trunk Music" - Michael Connelly - Ah! I finally get more of the Harry and Eleanor origin story.
13. "The Concrete Blonde" - Michael Connelly
14. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - I think I'm finally back on track for reading these Harry Bosch books in order. This one was pretty interesting in a time capsule sort of way. Life in LA after the 92 Riots. Life with the new internet superhighway.
15. "A Darkness More Than Night" - Michael Connelly
16. "The Middlesteins" - Jami Attenberg
17. "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" - Alan Bradley (audiobook)
18. "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" - Jon Ronson
19. "Delicious!" - Ruth Riechl - This was fluffy and fun.
20. "I'll Give You the Sun" - Jandy Nelson - Beautiful language, images, and themes. This was a jewel of a YA book.
21. "How to Start a Fire" - Lisa Lutz - her first new book after she finished up the Spellman series. I wanted to hate it (because I want her to go back to the Spellmans), but I loved it. Beautiful, complicated female friendships.
22. "City of Bones" - Michael Connelly - This is one of the two books that largely served as the basis for the first season of BOSCH. Despite knowing most of the plot, I still enjoyed reading this one.
23. "The Sky is Everywhere" - Jandy Nelson
24. "The Stranger" - Harlan Coben - This one walked the line for me as far as his books go. Some can be way too graphic/violent/gross for me. This one ALMOST tipped over. But, it was such a quick read that I pushed through the worst parts.
25. "Lost Light" - Michael Connelly - I finally know how Harry found out about Maddie. Weird to know he was a private dick at one time.
26. "The Narrows" - Michael Connelly - I think this may have been the first Connelly/Bosch book I ever read. It had been so long that I forgot that this was one of the ones I read already.
27. "The Closers" - Michael Connelly - I think this is my favorite Bosch book so far. High Jingo. Kiz. Irvin Irving. A nicely plotted mystery. A+.
28. "Echo Park" - Michael Connelly
29. "The Sister Brothers" - Patrick DeWitt
30. "The Killer Next Door" - Alex Marwood
31. "Attachments" - Rainbow Rowell - I guess I'm going to have to read her YA books because her adult books have totally been my cup of chick-lit tea.
32. "The Art of Secrets" - James Klise - Found this YA book when I was looking over a list of Edgar Award winners for 2015. Quick, enjoyable read. It was nice to follow/solve a mystery that didn't involve a dead person.
33. "Eleanor and Park" - Rainbow Rowell - Now I get why everyone LOVES her so much. I started out with her adult books and didn't dig into the YA side until this. AND, OH MY. I think many a WOXY fan can identify with these two characters. Easily.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »

1. "Me Before You" - Jojo Moyes
2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
4. "Shadow of Night" - Deborah Harkness (audiobook)
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
6. "The Vacationers" - Emma Straub
7. "Landline" - Rainbow Rowell
8. "The Black Echo" - Michael Connelly - the first book in the Harry Bosch series.
9. "The Girl on the Train" - Paula Hawkins
10. "The Burning Room" - the last book in the Harry Bosch series - I really like Harry's new partner. Wondering if Connelly is really preparing for Bosch's retirement by passing on the reader's affection to Lucky Lucy. She seems competent and likeable enough to carry her own series.
11. "The Last Coyote" - Michael Connelly - Harry tries to solve his own mother's murder. It's a dooooozie.
12. "Trunk Music" - Michael Connelly - Ah! I finally get more of the Harry and Eleanor origin story.
13. "The Concrete Blonde" - Michael Connelly
14. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - I think I'm finally back on track for reading these Harry Bosch books in order. This one was pretty interesting in a time capsule sort of way. Life in LA after the 92 Riots. Life with the new internet superhighway.
15. "A Darkness More Than Night" - Michael Connelly
16. "The Middlesteins" - Jami Attenberg
17. "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" - Alan Bradley (audiobook)
18. "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" - Jon Ronson
19. "Delicious!" - Ruth Riechl - This was fluffy and fun.
20. "I'll Give You the Sun" - Jandy Nelson - Beautiful language, images, and themes. This was a jewel of a YA book.
21. "How to Start a Fire" - Lisa Lutz - her first new book after she finished up the Spellman series. I wanted to hate it (because I want her to go back to the Spellmans), but I loved it. Beautiful, complicated female friendships.
22. "City of Bones" - Michael Connelly - This is one of the two books that largely served as the basis for the first season of BOSCH. Despite knowing most of the plot, I still enjoyed reading this one.
23. "The Sky is Everywhere" - Jandy Nelson
24. "The Stranger" - Harlan Coben - This one walked the line for me as far as his books go. Some can be way too graphic/violent/gross for me. This one ALMOST tipped over. But, it was such a quick read that I pushed through the worst parts.
25. "Lost Light" - Michael Connelly - I finally know how Harry found out about Maddie. Weird to know he was a private dick at one time.
26. "The Narrows" - Michael Connelly - I think this may have been the first Connelly/Bosch book I ever read. It had been so long that I forgot that this was one of the ones I read already.
27. "The Closers" - Michael Connelly - I think this is my favorite Bosch book so far. High Jingo. Kiz. Irvin Irving. A nicely plotted mystery. A+.
28. "Echo Park" - Michael Connelly
29. "The Sister Brothers" - Patrick DeWitt
30. "The Killer Next Door" - Alex Marwood
31. "Attachments" - Rainbow Rowell - I guess I'm going to have to read her YA books because her adult books have totally been my cup of chick-lit tea.
32. "The Art of Secrets" - James Klise - Found this YA book when I was looking over a list of Edgar Award winners for 2015. Quick, enjoyable read. It was nice to follow/solve a mystery that didn't involve a dead person.
33. "Eleanor and Park" - Rainbow Rowell - Now I get why everyone LOVES her so much. I started out with her adult books and didn't dig into the YA side until this. AND, OH MY. I think many a WOXY fan can identify with these two characters. Easily.
Oops. Forgot one.
34. "Shovel Ready" - Adam Sternbergh - The first part of this book had me telling myself that this was the best book I've read all year as I was reading it. The last part lost me completely.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2015, 06:39:02 AM »

13. Match of My Life: 18 Saints Relive Their Greatest Games - Joe Batchelor and Alex Cook
14. Nick Drake Remembered For A While - The Authorized Companion to the Music of Nick Drake

18. An Army at Dawn - Rick Atkinson

This is the first book in a trilogy about WWII. It meticulously lays out everything that went wrong and right for both the Allied and Axis powers during the war in North Africa, 1942-43. No one is spared the author's magnifying glass; every leader - from Churchill, Roosevelt and Hitler down to platoon commanders - is scrutinized with the precision of a jeweler with a gemstone. The plans are mapped out and the story told in a way that holds the reader rapt.

Each sentence is so beautifully crafted that the reader can almost stomach the graphic descriptions of battle wounds and pure gore. It isn't an easy book to read in that sense, but one that leaves an indelible impression and general feeling of unease with the reader long after the book is finished.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:28:01 AM by MissKitty »

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2015, 08:45:36 PM »

This has been sitting in my to read pile since it first came out in paperback. Purchased based on the title alone, for some reason.  ;)

I hope to be able to add to my list again by the end of the year.
also known as rcc94

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »

This has been sitting in my to read pile since it first came out in paperback. Purchased based on the title alone, for some reason.  ;)

I hope to be able to add to my list again by the end of the year.
Once you start it, you won't be able to stop. :)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2015, 10:35:48 AM »

18. An Army at Dawn - Rick Atkinson

19. Showa 1944-1953: A History of Japan - Shigeru Mizuki

This graphic novel from legendary manga artist Mizuki depicts - in an exaggerated  hyper-cartoony way - events and some of the grimmest realities experienced in the 20th century. Before he was an artist, the young Shigeru Mura (he came to be known as Shigeru Mizuki because he lived on Mizuki Street after the war and the name stuck) was unfit to be a soldier but a soldier nonetheless.

He draws heavily from his time as a foot soldier in the Pacific Islands and brings to life the indignities of war and the heartbreak of the rebuilding process.

Beautifully drawn, wonderfully told. A+.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »

CR, do you mean the 2 CD soundtrack, which was curated by Costello and is neither a Greatest Hits nor a Best Of, but a true companion album to the book?

Or the actual audio reading of the book?

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »

The reading of the book.
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »

The reading of the book.
The reading of the book.
Hi ho, the derry oh,
the reading of the book.
FTFY.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up