Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2015  (Read 4371 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2015
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »

I signed up but haven't really done anything with it. Maybe if I had some friends over there...

I poked around in Goodreads today.  Still don't really know what to do with it.

After Amazon bought them it is easy now to keep updates because Amazon pretty much asks you obnoxiously hey how about updating your goodreads account?

But I just read a book and then give it some stars.  I don't comment on them.  It is unclear to me how this is any different than just going to Amazon and rating purchases, including books.  Which I don't do.  But which I have the feeling I am now doing anyway because Amazon is probably sneaking that Goodreads data into your Amazon account.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »

Shovel Ready was pretty good. It did have some issues in that it kind of got lost in whether it was crime noir, science fiction, or a satire of one or both.  A ton of balls to juggle there, and he arguably was unable to pull it off.  It was interesting though.  You don't read a book like that everyday.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »

1.  Cinderella Murder--Mary Higgins Clark
2.  Level 2--Lenore Appelhans
3.  Hope to Die--James Patterson
4.  Vicious--Sara Shepard
5.  Chasing Before--Lenore Appelhans
6.  Private Vegas--James Patterson
7.  Death du Jour--Kathy Reichs
8.  Throw Your Feet Over Your Shoulders:  Beyond the Kindertransport--Frieda Korobkin
9.  Threatened--Eliot Schrefer
10.  Anatomy of a Misfit--Andrea Portes
11.  Noggin--John Corey Whaley
12.  The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend--Kody Keplinger
13.  Gabi, A Girl in Pieces--Isabel Quintero
14.  Girls Like Us--Gail Giles
15.  This One Summer--Mariko Tamaki
16.  And We Stay--Jenny Hubbard
17.  I'll Give You the Sun--Jandy Nelson
18.  The Carnival at Bray--Jessie Ann Foley
19.  The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender --Leslye Walton
20.  Miracle at Augusta--James Patterson
21.  Zac and Mia--A.J. Betts
22.  Forever With You--Robin Jones Gunn
23.  One Night that Changes Everything--Lauren Barnholdt
24.  NYPD Red 3--James Patterson
25.  How It Went Down--Kekla Magoon
26.  Love Finds You in Sunset Beach, Hawaii--Robin Jones Gunn
27.  Peculiar Treasures--Robin Jones Gunn
28.  48 Hours of Kristallnacht: Night of Destruction/Dawn of the Holocaust--Mitchell G. Bard
29.  No Place to Fall--Jaye Robin Brown
30.  14th Deadly Sin--James Patterson
31.   My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me: A Black Woman Discovers Her Family's Nazi Past--Jennifer Teege
32.  Erika's Story--Ruth Vander Zee
33.  Saint Anything--Sarah Dessen
34.  Cottage by the Sea--Robin Jones Gunn
35.   So That Happened: My Unexpected Life in Hollywood--Jon Cryer
36.  The Scar Boys--Len Vlahos
37.  Little White Lies--Katie Dale
38.  The match : complete strangers, a miracle face transplant, two lives transformed--Susan Whitman Helfgot
39.  Anybody Out There?--Marian Keyes
40.  Coming Attractions--Robin Jones Gunn
41.  At Yellow Lake--Jane McLoughlin
42.  Melody Lives On--Mary Higgins Clark
43.   Kristallnacht: Prelude to Destruction--Martin Gilbert
44.  Finally and Forever--Robin Jones Gunn
45.  The Program--Suzanne Young
46.  Grasshopper Jungle--Andrew Smith
47.  Deadly Decisions--Kathy Reichs
48.   Flares of Memory: Stories of Childhood During the Holocaust--Anita Brostoff
49.   Tilly: The Ugliest Cat: How I Rescued Her and She Rescued Me--Celia Haddon
50.  Royal Wedding--Meg Cabot
51.  Funny Girl--Nick Hornby
52.  Beyond Clueless--Linas Alsenas
53.   Unforgettable Walks to Take Before You Die--Steve Watkins
54.  The Truth About My Success--Dyan Sheldon
55.  Endangered--Kate Jaimet
56.  Alert--James Patterson
57.  Cincinnati's Celebrity Criminal Defender: Murder, Motive and the Magical Foss Hopkins--Janice Schulz
58.  See Me--Nicholas Sparks
59.  The Murder House--James Patterson
60.  Fatal Voyage--Kathy Reichs
61.  Feral Cities: Adventures with Animals in the Urban Jungle--Tristan Donovan
62.  Another Day--David Levithan
63.  Hello, I Love You--Katie Stout
64.  Liliana's Journal: Warsaw 1939-1945--Liliana Zuker-Bujanowska
65.  Forever for a Year--B.T. Gottfred
66.  The Revenge Playbook--Rachael Allen
67.  All Dressed in White--Mary Higgins Clark
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2015, 11:49:02 PM »

Grasshopper Jungle was interesting.  Both during and after reading it, I have at times both really liked it and loathed it.

It was a bit like Shovel Ready, I suppose.  Really ambitious in scope, with the result that it would take insane genius to pull it off, but the author falls a bit short into the merely "quite clever" category.  It feels petty to insult the guy for not being awesome, but at the same time when a book ultimately falls short, you can't quite commend it either.

In the case of Grasshopper Jungle, I felt like there was too much sex focus.  I understand that being a teen is not easy, and that the protagonist had a lot on his plate.  You don't forget all about your crushes and your deep teen angst just because the world is ending.  At the same time, I feel like it also sells teenagers short.  I mean, they aren't just walking fleshbags of hormones.  I think they can put aside their thoughts of three ways while people are dying.  I'd like to think that they can pull it together and that they have a bigger perspective.

That is the balance to get right, and I think the book missed it.  TBF, the protagonist does really care for all those around him and he really tries hard to do the right thing and save everyone.  And Andrew as the protagonist/narrator is honest about his faults and feels guilty at times about them.  He's human.

But still, I feel like the book focuses more on the prurient than it really needs to.  I get that dude is horny and confused and that is part of being a teenager, but you can make that point without mentioning it so often.  Sometimes it feels like the sexual thing/love triangle is getting played for cheap laughs.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2015, 12:53:08 AM »

I liked how the story circled back through his heritage, which of course brought them to the present threat of the praying mantis'.  I completely agree that sex was used too frequently with no added value to the book.  I had a hard time getting into the book to start with, but then it finally captured my attention.  I had rated it 3 stars for many of the reasons you wrote.  I'm glad someone else has read it.  It's always nice to compare notes. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »

1.  the magic mountain- thomas mann
2.  the book- alan watts
3.  the river book: cincinnati and the ohio
4.  the innocents abroad- mark twain
5. steppenwolf- hermann hesse                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
6. how to shit in the woods- kathleen meyer
7. the sot-weed factor- john barth
8.  we the living- ayn rand
9. the upanishads
10. the humanist in the bathtub- mary mcCarthy
11. the adirondacks- paul schneidner
12. the gambler/bobok/a nasty story- dostoyesvsky
13.  the satyricon- petronius
14. the pioneers- james fenimore cooper
15. cry, the beloved country- alan paton

16. good omens- terry pratchett & neil gaiman.  well that was a fun romp.  nothing like a good apocalypse story to humor you
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2015, 05:01:36 PM »

Do you intentionally avoid "contemporary" fiction?  I mean, not just books set in or about contemporary times, but just even written in the 2000's?

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2015, 06:14:14 PM »

good omens was close.   :)  i haven't been interested in keeping up with new literature at all.  there's so many classics that i haven't read.  that isn't to say i go out of my way not to read current fiction.  i like buying books.  perusing a bookstore is one of my all time favorite hobbies and the bookstores i frequent don't have much in the way of contemporary fiction.  maybe they do, i wouldn't know.  maybe there's some truth in your post.  unless someone hands me one of those books (which happens), i'm not going to pursue it
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »

1. Walter M. Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Liebowitz
2. Dave Eggers - Zeitoun
3. Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
4. Mitch Albom - Tuesdays with Morrie
5. Greg Anderson - Cancer: 50 Essential Things To Do
6. Bryan Bishop - Shrinkage
7. Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods
8. Andy Weir - The Martian
9. Neal Stephenson - The Diamond Age

Enjoyed it enough. It's about what life will be like in the future with a strong nano-technological presence. Stephenson's writing is brilliant and annoying - he uses big words unnecessarily and drags many many times, but then he has a great vision which is beyond my capacities. I did find myself COMPLETELY ENGROSSED at a quite a few points, but was bored out of my mind at other points. Glad that it wrapped up nicely, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up