Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2015  (Read 4442 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2015
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »

Not that I'll be getting up to 50, but thought I would chronicle an actual book I had read, the first full one for years:

1. The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell

I'm far from the guy who should be reviewing books, but I enjoyed this one.  It came real close to losing me, but luckily Chapter 5 finally dug full-on into the mythology that was going on during the rest of the novel.  And even though some of that was hard to understand because it was a self-contained mythos, it all added up to a pretty satisfying whole.
This book came in for me at the same time as 5 other books. So, I didn't get around to reading it before it was due. But, I will use your review as a reminder to put it back in my library queue. WOOHOO.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:37 PM »

5. Strengths Finder 2.0 - Tom Rath

This is a typical book in the management circles that people read. According to this book and it's online assessment, my strengths are: woo, communication, includer, achiever, and context.
I've done this assessment a couple of times at work. Most recently I was strategic, learner, maximizer, context and adaptability.
also known as rcc94

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 07:13:55 AM »

5. Strengths Finder 2.0 - Tom Rath

This is a typical book in the management circles that people read. According to this book and it's online assessment, my strengths are: woo, communication, includer, achiever, and context.
I've done this assessment a couple of times at work. Most recently I was strategic, learner, maximizer, context and adaptability.

Responsibility, Harmony, Achiever, Consistency, Relator.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »

1 ● Graham Nash - Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life
2 ● Celia Haddon - Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter
adding
3 ● Drew Struzan & David J Schow - The Art of Drew Struzan
We watched the wonderful documentary about Struzan a few months ago. I happened to see this on an Oscar-themed stand whilst leaving the library the other day and was intrigued enough to bring it home for a read. Very fascinating insight into how he works, how the studios regularly shafted him and the way his sketches eventually evolve into beautiful works of art. And they art.
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 08:47:19 AM »

1. "Me Before You" - Jojo Moyes
2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
4. "Shadow of Night" - Deborah Harkness (audiobook)

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »

adding
4 ● Nick Hornby - Funny Girl
Hornby does for British television in the 60's what he did for record stores in "High Fidelity". Tears off the gloss and glamour and scribes a simple story about a 'Miss Blackpool" who has designs on being a star... and becomes one. It's a gentle enough story which motors along quite nicely but then runs out of gas towards the end, which was a shame. Like many of Hornby's other stories there's definitely a movie in this. It read like a movie script and maybe that's all he's capable of now. Certainly not as good a book as "High Fidelity" or "Fever Pitch" but tons better than the terrible "A Long Way Down" which was horribly mawkish and ill-conceived. If I was the publisher I would be a little concerned that the story concept could be lost on non-Brits or people under the age of 45.
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »

2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »

5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
6. "The Vacationers" - Emma Straub - very readable but nothing special.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »

1.  Cinderella Murder--Mary Higgins Clark
2.  Level 2--Lenore Appelhans
3.  Hope to Die--James Patterson
4.  Vicious--Sara Shepard
5.  Chasing Before--Lenore Appelhans
6.  Private Vegas--James Patterson
7.  Death du Jour--Kathy Reichs
8.  Throw Your Feet Over Your Shoulders:  Beyond the Kindertransport--Frieda Korobkin
9.  Threatened--Eliot Schrefer
10.  Anatomy of a Misfit--Andrea Portes
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 06:13:27 PM »

4 ● Nick Hornby - Funny Girl
adding
5 ● Danny Baker - Going Off Alarming: The Autobiography Vol 2
Danny remains my favourite UK radio presenter. His (exclusively talk) show is the last vestige of my UK past that I continue to listen to regularly. He's no slouch in the autobiography writing department either, this second tome of memories continuing where Vol 1 left off. This one concentrates on his TV career when, for about 5 or 6 years he was as ubiquitous a "celebrity" as you can get. He saves tales of his friendship with Paul "Gazza" Gascoine until the end and it's impossible not to laugh at the antics the pair of them get up to alongside Chris Evans (another UK TV/Radio presenter of some note). Probably too "English" for many Americans palate so I'm loathe to recommend, but there's laughs throughout if you can decipher the lingo.
Opulence. I has it.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 07:57:22 AM »

1. The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell

2. The Martian - Andy Weir

Picked up after seeing multiple places rave about what a good science fiction book this was.  Being someone who took Science Fiction Lit in college and enjoys some good "hard" science fiction, I was looking forward to it.  After reading a book by someone who knows how to stage a fictional scene, however (Mitchell), reading through the pages upon pages of how to electrolyze water into its component parts and how many liters of H2O are needed to make X number of liters of O2, this book underwhelmed.

It got exciting at points, but it also completely lacked any kind of well-written prose.  It was like reading a plot summary and scientific facts strung together by sarcasm.  I like sarcasm as much as the next guy, but none of the secondary characters got anything resembling a fleshed-out backstory, unless you count "is a hot, nerdy girl" and "wants to fuck hot, nerdy girl" as a backstory.

I told Andrea I liked it, and I did... I was flipping pages to see what would happen next.  But I think I enjoyed the idea of the story so much better than the story itself.  I will be interested to see if the movie translates at all.  What I found interesting is that you go through 300 pages wondering whether this guy will live or not, then the ending comes and he almost rushes through it.  There was a good 'nother 100 pages of story left when he decides to end it.  I guess that'll be nice for the sequel.  Maybe by then, this guy will learn how to write.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »

6. "The Vacationers" - Emma Straub
7. "Landline" - Rainbow Rowell

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »

1.  the magic mountain- thomas mann.  that took awhile, but i'm glad i read it, even if most of it went over my head.  the philosophy of time was a central theme, and it is of great interest to me, however i don't think i have the mental capacity to grasp it.  the words seem too close together.  the character settembrini reminds me of zafer, which is a compliment.  he was extraordinary.  there was a ghost towards the end which was odd.  i don't quite fully get the inclusion.  looking forward to more thomas mann
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 02:15:37 AM »

Mann was using time as a leitmotif, which is different than a theme.  There are a bunch of leitmotifs in that book because leitmotifs were like, Mann's favorite thing in the whole world.

You can look at that book as a parody of a Bildungsroman.  Specifically of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which is itself sort of a parody of a Bildungsroman.  Parody/irony then becoming a leitmotif of Mann when his work is viewed as a collection.  Because if there was anything Mann could possibly love as much as leitmotifs, it was Parody/irony.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 05:59:08 PM »

Mann was using time as a leitmotif, which is different than a theme.  There are a bunch of leitmotifs in that book because leitmotifs were like, Mann's favorite thing in the whole world.

You can look at that book as a parody of a Bildungsroman.  Specifically of Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which is itself sort of a parody of a Bildungsroman.  Parody/irony then becoming a leitmotif of Mann when his work is viewed as a collection.  Because if there was anything Mann could possibly love as much as leitmotifs, it was Parody/irony.

thanks.  so i take it that's why hans castorp went off to war?  is that what the parody is?  i didn't quite understand that.  it was also curious as to why settembrini congratulated him on his decision.  it happened very quickly and without any lead up.  maybe i was rushing thru the last chapter
poach eggs, not elephants
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up