Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2015  (Read 10183 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2015
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »

1. Upheaval Stories - Chris Holbrook
2. Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter - Celia Haddon
3. Americanah - Chimamada Ngozi Adiche
4. Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food: The Ultimate Weekend Cookbook - Jamie Oliver
5. Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes - Jamie Oliver
6. Jamie Oliver's Great Britain - Jamie Oliver
7. Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
8. Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus ad Mary Chain Story - Zoe Howe
9. Going Off Alarming - Danny Baker
10. The Ginger & White Cookbook - Tonia George, Emma Scott and Nicholas Scott
11. Chinese Whiskers - Pallavi Aiyar

Cute story chronicling the changes of contemporary Beijing, as seen through the eyes of two cats. Ending is a bit simplified and suspect, but it's enjoyable. Book is probably more for kids than adults, but hey, this adult learned some new Chinese words and phrases, too.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »

4. the innocents abroad- mark twain.  mark twain's account of his voyage and ensuing pilgrimage from nyc to europe to the holy land. the original ugly american.  there wasn't a tour guide they'd mock or people they would despise.  funny, though it was essentially reading somebody's travel journal.  luckily it was mark twain's trip and not some just graduated college gonna explore the world become humbled because you realize the world is just bigger than you and this is what people need to hear because it happened to me kind of bro

I love Twain's works for adults. I read Volume I of his autobiography a few years ago, and it was fantastic. Had to renew it twice because I couldn't get through it any faster. Sharp, biting, and very witty.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 01:04:09 PM »

1. "Me Before You" - Jojo Moyes
2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
4. "Shadow of Night" - Deborah Harkness (audiobook)
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
6. "The Vacationers" - Emma Straub
7. "Landline" - Rainbow Rowell
8. "The Black Echo" - Michael Connelly - the first book in the Harry Bosch series.
9. "The Girl on the Train" - Paula Hawkins
10. "The Burning Room" - the last book in the Harry Bosch series - I really like Harry's new partner. Wondering if Connelly is really preparing for Bosch's retirement by passing on the reader's affection to Lucky Lucy. She seems competent and likeable enough to carry her own series.
11. "The Last Coyote" - Michael Connelly - Harry tries to solve his own mother's murder. It's a dooooozie.
12. "Trunk Music" - Michael Connelly - Ah! I finally get more of the Harry and Eleanor origin story.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

scuba

• Summer Resident
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »

1. Creativity, Inc. - Ed Catmull, Amy Wallace

How to maintain a creative culture from one of the founders of Pixar, not a strict history though there are some interesting nuggets, more along the lines of their management philosophy and the evolution of the company. Finished it several weeks ago but it's difficult to find time to read consistent when I'm "in season" 10 months out of the year.
Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »

1.  the magic mountain- thomas mann
2.  the book- alan watts
3.  the river book: cincinnati and the ohio
4. the innocents abroad- mark twain

5. steppenwolf- hermann hesse.  this was a reread.  lent it to a buddy and we talked about it and i realized i didn't remember it as much as i thought i did.  it was better than i remember, even though it's one of my favorites.  probably because i read it thru at the time so quickly.  this time i slowed the pace and thought about the book.  i'm still digesting the second go round.  what i love about hesse is how unabashedly human he is                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
poach eggs, not elephants

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2015, 08:28:34 AM »

1. Upheaval Stories - Chris Holbrook
2. Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter - Celia Haddon
3. Americanah - Chimamada Ngozi Adiche
4. Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food: The Ultimate Weekend Cookbook - Jamie Oliver
5. Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes - Jamie Oliver
6. Jamie Oliver's Great Britain - Jamie Oliver
7. Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
8. Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus ad Mary Chain Story - Zoe Howe
9. Going Off Alarming - Danny Baker
10. The Ginger & White Cookbook - Tonia George, Emma Scott and Nicholas Scott
11. Chinese Whiskers - Pallavi Aiyar
12. Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America - Jill Leovy

Masterful storytelling from LA Times investigative journalist Jill Leovy about the senseless deaths of thousands of black men at the hands of other black men in South Central Los Angeles. The story begins with the murder of a young black man minutes from his home, one of many murders in South Central that week. Two things made this murder different from so many others: 1. the victim was the son of an LA cop, and 2. the homicide was investigated by Detective John Skaggs.

Skaggs is a detective who cares. Cares about the victims, cares about their families, about the neighborhoods, and most importantly, about justice. His record of successfully solved and prosecuted homicides should have made him rise through the ranks very rapidly, but he turned down promotion after promotion to continue doing a job that no one else wanted to do. It is down to his tenacity that crime went down in South Central during his years as a South Bureau homicide detective.

The book is filled with troubling statistics:
In 2006 there were 1016 shooting victims in South Bureau of LA County.
Blacks make up only 12 percent of the county, but account for over half of the homicides.
Killers of whites get harsher sentences, while killers of black receive lighter sentences, if they even go to court.

Leovy details the corrupt system, from its roots in the post-Civil War south and the racist atrocities of southern law, to today's legal neglect, but she also offers solutions to law enforcement for tackling black-on-black crime. It begins with something Det. Skaggs said at the beginning of his long and storied career, and which he still adheres to: "They might have been a notorious drug dealer, or whore, or whatever, but in death they are some daddy's baby, and they deserve justice."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »

2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
8. "The Black Echo" - Michael Connelly - the first book in the Harry Bosch series.
10. "The Burning Room" - the last book in the Harry Bosch series - I really like Harry's new partner. Wondering if Connelly is really preparing for Bosch's retirement by passing on the reader's affection to Lucky Lucy. She seems competent and likeable enough to carry her own series.
11. "The Last Coyote" - Michael Connelly - Harry tries to solve his own mother's murder. It's a dooooozie.
12. "Trunk Music" - Michael Connelly - Ah! I finally get more of the Harry and Eleanor origin story.
13. "The Concrete Blonde" - Michael Connelly

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »

1. Walter M. Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Liebowitz
2. Dave Eggers - Zeitoun

A good one. Zeitoun had zero pretension or self discussion or any of the other things that Dave Eggers can be insufferably known for, and that means that the writing was good and clear and very well done. A good story about one family's ordeals during Hurricane Katrina that was interesting and shocking and all the other great things that a book should be. Recommended.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »

Thanks for the review of Zeitoun, Dan. I am now willing to give this book a shot. I was interested in reading it, but wary because Eggers usually drives me crazy for the exact reasons you listed.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »

My girlfriend called it "the least 'Dave Eggers-y' book that Dave Eggers has written"

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »

Sold!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »

13. "The Concrete Blonde" - Michael Connelly
14. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - I think I'm finally back on track for reading these Harry Bosch books in order. This one was pretty interesting in a time capsule sort of way. Life in LA after the 92 Riots. Life with the new internet superhighway.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2015, 12:57:18 AM »

First book of the year for me!

1.  My Mother Was Nuts - Penny Marshall

Fun, quick read.  I found it super interesting how she and her brother basically made and kept so many friends is such a dog eat dog industry.  Tons of name dropping, but really focuses on family and friendships as well as the backstories you'd hope to read about the highlights of her career.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »

First book of the year for me!

1.  My Mother Was Nuts - Penny Marshall

Fun, quick read.  I found it super interesting how she and her brother basically made and kept so many friends is such a dog eat dog industry.  Tons of name dropping, but really focuses on family and friendships as well as the backstories you'd hope to read about the highlights of her career.
This is on my "must read" list!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up