Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2015  (Read 10186 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Re: 50 books in 2015
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »

1.  Cinderella Murder--Mary Higgins Clark
2.  Level 2--Lenore Appelhans
3.  Hope to Die--James Patterson
4.  Vicious--Sara Shepard
5.  Chasing Before--Lenore Appelhans
6.  Private Vegas--James Patterson
7.  Death du Jour--Kathy Reichs
8.  Throw Your Feet Over Your Shoulders:  Beyond the Kindertransport--Frieda Korobkin
9.  Threatened--Eliot Schrefer
10.  Anatomy of a Misfit--Andrea Portes
11.  Noggin--John Corey Whaley
12.  The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend--Kody Keplinger
13.  Gabi, A Girl in Pieces--Isabel Quintero
14.  Girls Like Us--Gail Giles
15.  This One Summer--Mariko Tamaki
16.  And We Stay--Jenny Hubbard
17.  I'll Give You the Sun--Jandy Nelson
18.  The Carnival at Bray--Jessie Ann Foley
19.  The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender --Leslye Walton
20.  Miracle at Augusta--James Patterson
21.  Zac and Mia--A.J. Betts
22.  Forever With You--Robin Jones Gunn
23.  One Night that Changes Everything--Lauren Barnholdt
24.  NYPD Red 3--James Patterson
25.  How It Went Down--Kekla Magoon
26.  Love Finds You in Sunset Beach, Hawaii--Robin Jones Gunn
27.  Peculiar Treasures--Robin Jones Gunn
28.  48 Hours of Kristallnacht: Night of Destruction/Dawn of the Holocaust--Mitchell G. Bard
29.  No Place to Fall--Jaye Robin Brown
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »

1. Walter M. Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Liebowitz
2. Dave Eggers - Zeitoun
3. Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

Fun and magical and enjoyable. Recommended if you have enjoyed anything else by Gaiman or any sort of fantasy/fantastical story.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »

1. "Me Before You" - Jojo Moyes
2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
4. "Shadow of Night" - Deborah Harkness (audiobook)
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
6. "The Vacationers" - Emma Straub
7. "Landline" - Rainbow Rowell
8. "The Black Echo" - Michael Connelly - the first book in the Harry Bosch series.
9. "The Girl on the Train" - Paula Hawkins
10. "The Burning Room" - the last book in the Harry Bosch series - I really like Harry's new partner. Wondering if Connelly is really preparing for Bosch's retirement by passing on the reader's affection to Lucky Lucy. She seems competent and likeable enough to carry her own series.
11. "The Last Coyote" - Michael Connelly - Harry tries to solve his own mother's murder. It's a dooooozie.
12. "Trunk Music" - Michael Connelly - Ah! I finally get more of the Harry and Eleanor origin story.
13. "The Concrete Blonde" - Michael Connelly
14. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - I think I'm finally back on track for reading these Harry Bosch books in order. This one was pretty interesting in a time capsule sort of way. Life in LA after the 92 Riots. Life with the new internet superhighway.
15. "A Darkness More Than Night" - Michael Connelly
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »

2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
8. "The Black Echo" - Michael Connelly - the first book in the Harry Bosch series.
10. "The Burning Room" - the last book in the Harry Bosch series - I really like Harry's new partner. Wondering if Connelly is really preparing for Bosch's retirement by passing on the reader's affection to Lucky Lucy. She seems competent and likeable enough to carry her own series.
11. "The Last Coyote" - Michael Connelly - Harry tries to solve his own mother's murder. It's a dooooozie.
12. "Trunk Music" - Michael Connelly - Ah! I finally get more of the Harry and Eleanor origin story.
14. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - I think I'm finally back on track for reading these Harry Bosch books in order. This one was pretty interesting in a time capsule sort of way. Life in LA after the 92 Riots. Life with the new internet superhighway.
16. "The Middlesteins" - Jami Attenberg
17. "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" - Alan Bradley (audiobook)

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »

18. "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" - Jon Ronson

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »

1. Walter M. Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Liebowitz
2. Dave Eggers - Zeitoun
3. Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
4. Mitch Albom - Tuesdays with Morrie

Beautiful and sad and wonderful and simple and important. Recommended.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »

19. "Delicious!" - Ruth Riechl - This was fluffy and fun.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »

20. "I'll Give You the Sun" - Jandy Nelson - Beautiful language, images, and themes. This was a jewel of a YA book.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »

1 ● Graham Nash - Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life
2 ● Celia Haddon - Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter
3 ● Drew Struzan & David J Schow - The Art of Drew Struzan
4 ● Nick Hornby - Funny Girl
5 ● Danny Baker - Going Off Alarming: The Autobiography Vol 2
6 ● Paul Torday - The Legacy of Hartlepool Hall
adding
7 ● Mark Millar, Dave Gibbons, Matthew Vaughn - Huntsman: The Secret Service
Jazzed to find this graphic novel at the library. Fascinating to see the source material for my fave film of 2015 and how the storyline changed from book to Hollywood
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »

20. "I'll Give You the Sun" - Jandy Nelson - Beautiful language, images, and themes. This was a jewel of a YA book.
21. "How to Start a Fire" - Lisa Lutz - her first new book after she finished up the Spellman series. I wanted to hate it (because I want her to go back to the Spellmans), but I loved it. Beautiful, complicated female friendships.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »

1.  the magic mountain- thomas mann
2.  the book- alan watts
3.  the river book: cincinnati and the ohio
4. the innocents abroad- mark twain
5. steppenwolf- hermann hesse                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

6. how to shit in the woods- kathleen meyer.  this was a toilet book.  refreshing coming from a woman.  i won't be adopting many of these practices such as, frosting a rock.  that's where you shit on a rock and smear it under the hot sun.  it was educational, but a lot of it is common sense if you happen to give a shit about conservation or whatnot.  there was a note from the author to her dad in the book which i thought was cool and odd

7. the sot-weed factor- john barth.  welp, that's an epic.  at over 800 pages it's easy to journey with the characters and get lost in the sense of time.  he wrote this book in the 1960's or something but it's set in the late 1600's in maryland and london.  if i didn't know any better, i'd say i was reading a book from that era.  the hero's a 30 year old poet and proud virgin.  there's a retelling of the john smith/ pocahontas story, which is scandalous.  it's like don quixote for the colonial folk
poach eggs, not elephants

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »

1 ● Graham Nash - Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life
2 ● Celia Haddon - Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter
3 ● Drew Struzan & David J Schow - The Art of Drew Struzan
4 ● Nick Hornby - Funny Girl
5 ● Danny Baker - Going Off Alarming: The Autobiography Vol 2
6 ● Paul Torday - The Legacy of Hartlepool Hall
7 ● Mark Millar, Dave Gibbons, Matthew Vaughn - Huntsman: The Secret Service
adding
8 ● Andy Stanton - You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum!
I almost wish I had kids so I could read this to them. I was inspired to find this at the library thanks to a 2006 interview I heard with the author via some vintage BBC London podcasts I still had. He said he wanted to write a children's book that was a little 'off color' but using regular everyday language and slang. The interviewer told him that this had quickly become his daughter's favourite book and they sat down once a week and read it together, continuing to laugh at the ludicrous jokes and wordplay the chapters contained. This is by no means a 'traditional book', Stanton breaks the literary "fourth wall" constantly taking the reader off on silly little tangents that have nothing to do with he story. Even the ending isn't traditional. Example:- This is the entire 4th chapter, which is entitled Mr. Gum Has A Cup of Tea..... "Mr Gum had a cup of tea". That's it. I laughed out REALLY loud at several segments, mores than I've done at any so-called 'grown-up comedy tale' recently and I was smitten by this completely. So much so that I'm planning to buy and send copies of this book to the offspring of several of my friends because I think everyone should own a copy. Hell, I'm buying copy for myself and I'm 6x the 'demographic age' suggested on the back cover. Bonus: The American publication of this book contains a 'glossary' at the back explaining the meaning behind some of the strange British words and phrases used. Stanton's written that too, and its just as funny as the rest of the book.
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »

21. "How to Start a Fire" - Lisa Lutz - her first new book after she finished up the Spellman series. I wanted to hate it (because I want her to go back to the Spellmans), but I loved it. Beautiful, complicated female friendships.
22. "City of Bones" - Michael Connelly - This is one of the two books that largely served as the basis for the first season of BOSCH. Despite knowing most of the plot, I still enjoyed reading this one.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »

22. "City of Bones" - Michael Connelly - This is one of the two books that largely served as the basis for the first season of BOSCH. Despite knowing most of the plot, I still enjoyed reading this one.
23. "The Sky is Everywhere" - Jandy Nelson

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »

1. Upheaval Stories - Chris Holbrook
2. Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter - Celia Haddon
3. Americanah - Chimamada Ngozi Adiche
4. Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food: The Ultimate Weekend Cookbook - Jamie Oliver
5. Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes - Jamie Oliver
6. Jamie Oliver's Great Britain - Jamie Oliver
7. Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
8. Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus ad Mary Chain Story - Zoe Howe
9. Going Off Alarming - Danny Baker
10. The Ginger & White Cookbook - Tonia George, Emma Scott and Nicholas Scott
11. Chinese Whiskers - Pallavi Aiyar
12. Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America - Jill Leovy
13. Match of My Life: 18 Saints Relive Their Greatest Games - Joe Batchelor and Alex Crook

Thoroughly enjoyable book of stories about playing for Southampton, told by some of the team's greatest players throughout the ages. From academy graduates like Theo Walcott all the way back to oldtimers like Terry Paine and Cliff Huxford, there are plenty of delightful, humorous and insightful pieces for Saints fans to chew on.

Speaking of chewing on, I feel a bit guilty now for badmouthing Jos "own goal" Hooiveld, who admits that it really hurt his feelings and confidence when the fans turned on him for his mistakes. I guess I never really thought the players took that sort of stuff to heart, but yes, actually they do. Oops. Sorry, Jos.

Quite a few of the players (especially those from the 1990s and back) really delighted in the Southampton-Portsmouth derbys and had nothing good to say about Pompey, of course. One of them (I believe David Armstrong?) even admitted to getting into fisticuffs with some Pompey players and fans at a nightclub one night. Not a game night, possibly not even during the season. He'd gone to the club for a fun night out and ended up being in the same place at the same time as Pompey supporters and players. Big mistake.

Every story was engaging, but naturally my favorite was from Marian Pahars, who comes across as one of the nicest, most humble players ever to wear the red & white stripes. I already loved him for his playing ability and utter sexiness, but now there is yet another layer of awesome about him (shame his is the worst photo in the book).

Definitely a book every Saints fan should own. Very enjoyable indeed.

Edited to add: Since Marian's photo in the book is meh, here is one for the ladies (or maybe just me) to enjoy:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:37:12 AM by MissKitty »
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up