Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2015  (Read 10554 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2015
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »

1. "Me Before You" - Jojo Moyes
2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
4. "Shadow of Night" - Deborah Harkness (audiobook)
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
6. "The Vacationers" - Emma Straub
7. "Landline" - Rainbow Rowell
8. "The Black Echo" - Michael Connelly - the first book in the Harry Bosch series.
9. "The Girl on the Train" - Paula Hawkins
10. "The Burning Room" - the last book in the Harry Bosch series - I really like Harry's new partner. Wondering if Connelly is really preparing for Bosch's retirement by passing on the reader's affection to Lucky Lucy. She seems competent and likeable enough to carry her own series.
11. "The Last Coyote" - Michael Connelly - Harry tries to solve his own mother's murder. It's a dooooozie.
12. "Trunk Music" - Michael Connelly - Ah! I finally get more of the Harry and Eleanor origin story.
13. "The Concrete Blonde" - Michael Connelly
14. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - I think I'm finally back on track for reading these Harry Bosch books in order. This one was pretty interesting in a time capsule sort of way. Life in LA after the 92 Riots. Life with the new internet superhighway.
15. "A Darkness More Than Night" - Michael Connelly
16. "The Middlesteins" - Jami Attenberg
17. "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" - Alan Bradley (audiobook)
18. "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" - Jon Ronson
19. "Delicious!" - Ruth Riechl - This was fluffy and fun.
20. "I'll Give You the Sun" - Jandy Nelson - Beautiful language, images, and themes. This was a jewel of a YA book.
21. "How to Start a Fire" - Lisa Lutz - her first new book after she finished up the Spellman series. I wanted to hate it (because I want her to go back to the Spellmans), but I loved it. Beautiful, complicated female friendships.
22. "City of Bones" - Michael Connelly - This is one of the two books that largely served as the basis for the first season of BOSCH. Despite knowing most of the plot, I still enjoyed reading this one.
23. "The Sky is Everywhere" - Jandy Nelson
24. "The Stranger" - Harlan Coben - This one walked the line for me as far as his books go. Some can be way too graphic/violent/gross for me. This one ALMOST tipped over. But, it was such a quick read that I pushed through the worst parts.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:20 AM »

1. Walter M. Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Liebowitz
2. Dave Eggers - Zeitoun
3. Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
4. Mitch Albom - Tuesdays with Morrie
5. Greg Anderson - Cancer: 50 Essential Things To Do

A book for people with cancer. He's not a doctor but rather a survivor and the founder of a large support organization. He mostly focuses on alternative medicine ideas, but in truth much of what he spouts is really just healthy ideas and clean living. This is a good thing and a random suggestion for him would be to write that book for the rest of the country, and in that version it would be focusing less on cancer and more on health. That would probably also sell a lot of copies.

Regardless, I hope no one ever has to read this book.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »

1.  the magic mountain- thomas mann
2.  the book- alan watts
3.  the river book: cincinnati and the ohio
4. the innocents abroad- mark twain
5. steppenwolf- hermann hesse                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
6. how to shit in the woods- kathleen meyer
7. the sot-weed factor- john barth

8.  we the living- ayn rand.  i first became aware of ayn rand during one of saul williams' beautiful fantasy epics in amethyst rock star where he evokes the name john galt in the song robeson.  and then i briefly dated a girl who loved ayn rand and one thing lead to another and i was in powell books in portland.  i bought this and another as the size of atlas shrugged and fountainhead intimidated me.  after i read those i didn't think i would ever get to this one because those two were awesome.  if you're familiar with ayn, she's afraid of having her heroes fail.  this is her first novel and her characters are vulnerable, which in later works they are perfected, literally.  zafer says that this is her most underrated work, mostly due to the unusual and messy love triangle.  she draws shit out way to much, like a paragraph to describe a fireplace, all beautifully written but unnecessary.  i thought the ending was optimistic even though it was bleak.  even if you aren't a fan of ayn's, and i think i'm the only one here, from a history aspect, a girl coming of age under the auspices of the russian communist revolution, it's indispensable.  maybe it's exaggerated, but i have close friends who grew up during the cold war in eastern europe and it wasn't ideal
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2015, 04:27:09 PM »

2. "Friendship" - Emily Gould - I'm not sure that I would recommend this to anyone, but it resonated with me.
3. "Revival" - Stephen King - I dug the the latest from Stephen King. I like his stuff when itís more on the nostalgic end of his spectrum than on the horror end.
5. "The Silkworm" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - I enjoy Cormoran Strike as a detective character and I also like his sidekick, Robin. However, I did not really like this mystery AT ALL.
8. "The Black Echo" - Michael Connelly - the first book in the Harry Bosch series.
10. "The Burning Room" - the last book in the Harry Bosch series - I really like Harry's new partner. Wondering if Connelly is really preparing for Bosch's retirement by passing on the reader's affection to Lucky Lucy. She seems competent and likeable enough to carry her own series.
11. "The Last Coyote" - Michael Connelly - Harry tries to solve his own mother's murder. It's a dooooozie.
12. "Trunk Music" - Michael Connelly - Ah! I finally get more of the Harry and Eleanor origin story.
14. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - I think I'm finally back on track for reading these Harry Bosch books in order. This one was pretty interesting in a time capsule sort of way. Life in LA after the 92 Riots. Life with the new internet superhighway.
20. "I'll Give You the Sun" - Jandy Nelson - Beautiful language, images, and themes. This was a jewel of a YA book.
21. "How to Start a Fire" - Lisa Lutz - her first new book after she finished up the Spellman series. I wanted to hate it (because I want her to go back to the Spellmans), but I loved it. Beautiful, complicated female friendships.
22. "City of Bones" - Michael Connelly - This is one of the two books that largely served as the basis for the first season of BOSCH. Despite knowing most of the plot, I still enjoyed reading this one.
24. "The Stranger" - Harlan Coben - This one walked the line for me as far as his books go. Some can be way too graphic/violent/gross for me. This one ALMOST tipped over. But, it was such a quick read that I pushed through the worst parts.
25. "Lost Light" - Michael Connelly - I finally know how Harry found out about Maddie. Weird to know he was a private dick at one time.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »

Beautiful and sad and wonderful and simple and important. Recommended.

i couldn't believe how much that got to me.  i thought i ran to give that away, but i still have it.  i'll consider it. 

2.  the book- alan watts
8.  we the living- ayn rand

9. the upanishads- a collection of hindu/eastern philosophy from the olden times.  there's something beautiful in here.  i feel more at ease with death when i read this shit.  and dying is one thing that i don't want to do.  death is nothing more than the casting off of a worn garment.  my posture's been an issue and my knees and ankles are suspect.  yoga.  it's like, i don't wanna sound cocky, but i might get closer to god

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2015, 12:08:59 PM »

25. "Lost Light" - Michael Connelly - I finally know how Harry found out about Maddie. Weird to know he was a private dick at one time.
26. "The Narrows" - Michael Connelly - I think this may have been the first Connelly/Bosch book I ever read. It had been so long that I forgot that this was one of the ones I read already.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2015, 01:16:08 PM »

1 ● Graham Nash - Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life
2 ● Celia Haddon - Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter
3 ● Drew Struzan & David J Schow - The Art of Drew Struzan
4 ● Nick Hornby - Funny Girl
5 ● Danny Baker - Going Off Alarming: The Autobiography Vol 2
6 ● Paul Torday - The Legacy of Hartlepool Hall
7 ● Mark Millar, Dave Gibbons, Matthew Vaughn - Huntsman: The Secret Service
8 ● Andy Stanton - You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum!
adding
9 ● Joe Batchelor & Alex Crook - Match of my Life Southampton: 18 Stars Relive Their Greatest Games
Everything that MK said. Some fun nostalgia, perhaps mores for me with the older players like Mick Channon and Terry Paine who played in the era when I first got into football in a big way
10 ● Robin Halstead, Jason Hazeley, Alex Morris & Joel Morris - Bollocks to Alton Towers: Uncommonly British Days Out
Very fun read, representing a kind of compiled "yelp review" of small-time British roadside attractions and places of *ahem* "entertainment". A gnome museum, a pencil museum, a theme park for digging machines, barometer world" and more besides. Made me laugh and gasp in equal measures and most definitely made me want to see and experience some of these wacky places. I was astonished to find this for just $2 at the library shop in downtown. Great VFM.
Opulence. I has it.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2015, 03:07:14 PM »

9 ● Joe Batchelor & Alex Crook - Match of my Life Southampton: 18 Stars Relive Their Greatest Games
Everything that MK said.
You think Marian Pahars is utterly sexy too?! I had no idea he was your man crush, but you just scored major points, dear. ;)
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »

1. Walter M. Miller Jr. - A Canticle for Liebowitz
2. Dave Eggers - Zeitoun
3. Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
5. Greg Anderson - Cancer: 50 Essential Things To Do
6. Bryan Bishop - Shrinkage

Bishop is a personality on the Adam Carolla podcast that I listen to frequently. In 2009 he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and this is his memoir/account of the whole ordeal. Since he wrote the book it means he's alive, so spoiler he doesn't die (yet). It was light and an easy read and there is nothing negative to say. It was pretty rough for him so I'm glad he was able to recover. It's a comedy podcast, so there were some fun jokes, which was nice.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »

2.  the book- alan watts
9. the upanishads

10. the humanist in the bathtub- mary mcCarthy- on the jacket someone gushed, "intellectual fireworks!"  i would agree, christ.  i picked this up at a bookstore in lawrence, kansas because of the title like all, 'sounds like some sweet existentialist sweetness,' i can't recall the last time i've been intimidated by someone's smartness.  granted, i'm of average intellegence but at least i can pretend to be smartness. 

she loves to critique.  she'll critique the critics, which is much fun.  i've never seen a play at a theatre before but she makes it sound so important.  the theatre has been put on watch.  although i knew nothing about the plays she reviewed, so after a two or three chapters, it became boring.  but if you know about plays, i would recommend
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:36:46 PM by daytime drinking »

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2015, 03:29:59 PM »

26. "The Narrows" - Michael Connelly - I think this may have been the first Connelly/Bosch book I ever read. It had been so long that I forgot that this was one of the ones I read already.
27. "The Closers" - Michael Connelly - I think this is my favorite Bosch book so far. High Jingo. Kiz. Irvin Irving. A nicely plotted mystery. A+.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »

1. Upheaval Stories - Chris Holbrook
2. Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter - Celia Haddon
3. Americanah - Chimamada Ngozi Adiche
4. Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food: The Ultimate Weekend Cookbook - Jamie Oliver
5. Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes - Jamie Oliver
6. Jamie Oliver's Great Britain - Jamie Oliver
7. Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
8. Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus ad Mary Chain Story - Zoe Howe
9. Going Off Alarming - Danny Baker
10. The Ginger & White Cookbook - Tonia George, Emma Scott and Nicholas Scott
11. Chinese Whiskers - Pallavi Aiyar
12. Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America - Jill Leovy
13. Match of My Life: 18 Saints Relive Their Greatest Games - Joe Batchelor and Alex Cook

14. Nick Drake Remembered For A While - The Authorized Companion to the Music of Nick Drake

Been working my way through this gorgeous, hefty tome for the past month. It is exquisite; lovingly researched and meticulously catalogued.

From the back cover: "Remembered For A While; the authorized companion to the music of Nick Drake, compiled and edited by Cally Callomon and Gabrielle Drake, with contributions from Nick's friends, critics, adherents, family - and from Nick Drake himself.
Remembered For A While is not a biography. It is, rather, an attempt to cast a few shards of light on Nick Drake the poet, the musician, the singer, the friend, son and brother, who was also more than all of these. Made to accompany all those in search of an elusive artist, whose haunting presence defies analysis."

The book is a remarkable and impressive undertaking, as much for what ISN'T said as much as for what is (which, at 443 large pages of small type, is a LOT). And at only $25 it is an absolute steal. Even if you are only a casual fan of his music, do yourself a favor and pick it up.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:56:26 PM by MissKitty »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »

1. Upheaval Stories - Chris Holbrook
2. Tilly: The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter - Celia Haddon
3. Americanah - Chimamada Ngozi Adiche
4. Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food: The Ultimate Weekend Cookbook - Jamie Oliver
5. Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes - Jamie Oliver
6. Jamie Oliver's Great Britain - Jamie Oliver
7. Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
8. Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus ad Mary Chain Story - Zoe Howe
9. Going Off Alarming - Danny Baker
10. The Ginger & White Cookbook - Tonia George, Emma Scott and Nicholas Scott
11. Chinese Whiskers - Pallavi Aiyar
12. Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America - Jill Leovy
13. Match of My Life: 18 Saints Relive Their Greatest Games - Joe Batchelor and Alex Cook
14. Nick Drake Remembered For A While - The Authorized Companion to the Music of Nick Drake
15. The Borrower - Rebecca Makkai

I don't read much fiction, but this book is next month's book club offering at our building's monthly meet up, so I figured I'd give it a go. The story centers on a 20-something librarian and a 10-year old bookish boy being stifled my his mother's extreme evangelical fundamentalism. Has some nice little twists and turns, and was a complete delight to read.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2015, 01:53:40 PM »

27. "The Closers" - Michael Connelly - I think this is my favorite Bosch book so far. High Jingo. Kiz. Irvin Irving. A nicely plotted mystery. A+.
28. "Echo Park" - Michael Connelly

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2015, 09:21:01 AM »

2.  the book- alan watts
9. the upanishads
10. the humanist in the bathtub- mary mcCarthy

11. the adirondacks- paul schneidner.  an exhaustive history of the giant park, and possibly my favorite part of the country.  fantastic read
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up