Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Advice  (Read 1847 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Random Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 01:38:56 PM »

Automatic headlights should be no different than manually turning on the headlights, that's how mine are and were in our Toyotas.  If the tail lights aren't on they're just running on DRLs which is just wrong.

In a similar vein my wife has been driving a car with automatic headlights for almost six years now and until recently didn't realize that she had to turn the headlights on manually when it's raining.  The sensor knows when it's dark... not when it's wet.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »

At some point if the garage is to be usable the garage door will have to be relocated to the front of the house and the driveway extended, there is currently no access to the garage without driving through the yard and around the back of the house.  There isn't enough clearance with the property line to run the driveway to the back.  This isn't an immediate need but will have to be done at some point or the garage is a waste.

Why would someone build a garage (and a nice sized one from the pics) that you can't access?  That's crazy!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »

Answer: poorly planned DIY additions.

The original house was actually pretty small from what we can tell.  It seems like it originally only comprised a small section of the back left corner of the house.  It was then bumped out from the front and then over to the right.  My guess is that the section with the covered porch on the left was at some point the entire house and it co-existed with the garage (who knows when that came along; it's brick doesn't quite match the rest of the house so it was a later addition).  The garage would have been detached so you could have driven a car between the two structures which makes a certain kind of sense, kinda.  The section between the garage and house is the main living room and from what we can tell the covered porch at the front of it was added later (that section has a flat roof underneath what you can see from the outside).  We're moving that wall out to where the columns are making the room even bigger.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »

Kwyjibo, you make me feel fortunate with my foreclosure.  Did they leave everything they owned when they left?

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »

So Kwyj, do you have before and after pics...love to see some of them!

I have before and during.  We're not quite to after yet.  Tile is going down today.  Paint has been purchased.  The cabinets and countertop arrive on Friday.  But just for fun I'll share the before...

Before
Jesus. Fucking. H. Christ
Why are people such turds?
Opulence. I has it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »

Kwyjibo, you make me feel fortunate with my foreclosure.  Did they leave everything they owned when they left?

Well, they didn't leave anything of value so either they took the good stuff or they didn't have anything valuable.  I'd believe either.

CR... as I've learned in other endeavors recently people can manage to be nasty about having something taken away from them even if they made no effort to keep it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »

I'm impressed that you were able to see through the trash and see what the house "could" be.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »

What are the chances that they didn't permit any of the additions?  I'm guessing pretty high.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »

I don't know about that.  Everything is accounted for in the diagrams on the county auditor's site.  Even the second bathroom is accounted for(the one where you could poop with one foot out the back door), which had to have been a later addition.  On the other hand, I'm sure they avoided permits wherever possible and their handiwork (whoever they are) really betrays they're lack of skill.

You may be giving me too much credit, Dan.  I was terrified of this whole thing, and still am to a degree since we still don't know the status of the septic system.  When we got started I was not at all sure we were going to be able to address the many things I hated about it.  In the end what talked us into it was location, the low auction price, and generous financial help from family and really not the house itself.  Plus, it looked like our best shot at getting out of our current abode which doesn't meet our needs and we're under water on.

We have had a few neighbors stop by to tell us what a showplace it was prior to the people that trashed it coming along  It's clear that in the 70s or 80s or whenever that must have been the place was probably clean, maintained and modern but I think it was just a lot of window dressing because nothing was done correctly.  It really does look great from the outside and now the inside will match... it will be nice to have something to be proud of.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »

You will be so happy when it's finished, I'm sure! And it will be a nicely liveable space. 

The good thing about bad additions is that you won't feel bad about tearing them down!

The house I grew up in was one of those with random additions over time. The house started as a two room log cabin with porches across the north and south sides. The north porch was closed in pretty early to be the kitchen. A bedroom and living room and hall were added to the east side of the house, changing the entrance orientation. This was in the 1920s. When my parents moved in, they updated the kitchen (It was still really, really tiny through my childhood), added a dining room, indoor plumbing, enclosed the south porch, added another bedroom to the west side of the house, and built a garage. In the 80s they added another bedroom.  It was the most random house-- hallways leading to a room, then another hall, then another room.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 10:06:55 PM »

Actually they added that kitchen. Mom didn't like to cook, so she didn't want a large one. Previously, the family room was split into 2 rooms, with one being a kitchen and the other a dining room.

also known as rcc94

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »

well, she still doesn't like to cook!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »

Another piece of advice.  Keep your contractors moving along.  Ours was doing fine for most of the job but have slowed to a crawl for the last month as other jobs with immediate payouts have started cropping up with the change of season.  Besides the obvious "when will this ever end" aspect of this it also invites other problems, such as break-ins.  I'm surprised it took this long, it is clear from the outside that a major job is going on inside (plywood over one door, lumber and such stored on porch), it is obviously not occupied, and the contractor's van has been parked out front without moving for a couple of months now. 

We had the garage windows covered hoping to hide the building materials and tools inside but apparently these crooks were not fooled.  I haven't heard a full tally yet but I know they got some tools and the contractor's van.  Not sure if they damaged the house gaining entry or if they got any of my as yet uninstalled fixtures. 

Sheesh.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 10:29:28 AM »

Well, didn't get anything of ours I guess, so that's good.  They used the contractor's key to get in... which was considerate, they didn't do any damage.  I'm sure this will slow progress even further.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up