Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: May 30, 2015: Jockey Club Bill Leist Memorial & BBQ, Southgate House Revival  (Read 838 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!

Recently, Bill Leist, booker and driving force behind a lot of great shows at The Jockey Club from 1982 to 1988 (and at other places after the JC closed its doors), passed away.  On Saturday May 30, 2015, The Southgate House Revival presents a tribute to this huge figure in the history of the local music scene.  Area bands past and present will perform.  Scheduled to play are The Reduced, The Libertines, SS 20, Speed Hickeys, BPA, Mexican Pig Torture, New Regrets, The Mudlarks, Hobilly, No Excuse, Public Figure, with MC Handsome Clem Carpenter.

Bill and his crew were responsible for bringing a lot of punk/alternative/indie bands to town for the first time.  In addition to such bands as Black Flag and The Circle Jerks, the JC was booking bands like  Violent Femmes, The Replacements, The Fall, and many, many others, at a time when the big time rock clubs were presenting crap like Bob Seger tribute bands.  And many, many local and regional bands doing original material graced the stage of the JC when most local bands were still doing all covers. 

I knew Bill, and he wasn't perfect.  He could be difficult at times.  But his passion and love for the music, and what he accomplished, deserve to be recognized, and I'm glad the SGHR is providing the venue for this memorial/concert.  I don't know if any members of this board ever went to the Jockey Club.  But if you ever went to shows there--or other places he later booked at, such as the Top Hat and Murphy's Pub--and had a good time, then consider attending this tribute. 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:54:35 PM by Drjohnrock »
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

mik

• City Elder

I didn't move to Cincinnati until '88 but based on what you and others have told me about the JC it sounded like a great venue for the area. Calendar permitting I will attend the event.
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder

I saw some great shows there. I was by no means a regular (lived in Dayton at the time, so quite the drive) but it was a great old dive. Filthy and dilapidated, but man, what an electric vibe every time I entered. Probably the best show I saw there was the Dead Kennedys, although Black Flag was amazing too. And of course The Replacements! Active Ingredients, 1000 Volts, Sluggo,  and lots of Dayton bands whenever they played there - Toxic Reasons, The Highwaymen and Dementia Precox are a few locals I remember seeing.

I remember seeing at various times BPA, The Libertines, SS20, and The Reduced too, so it would be fun to relive my youth by attending this gig and seeing them again in all their aged glory. :)

Dr.John, did you go to Bill's funeral? (I didn't, it was when I was recovering from back surgery).
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder

Unfortunately, I found out about Bill's passing too late to attend the funeral.  :-[  I'm not in contact with the old crowd--or at least the ones still in this area--as much as I once was.

Thanks for sharing some of your memories of the JC, MissKitty.  You really brought to mind some of my own from back in the day.  I recall helping a guy who had a fanzine interview The Replacements before their first (I think) JC gig.  That was when they were still drinking so "attempt to interview" might be a more apt description.  There's lots of other stuff I recall from back in the day but I don't want this post to be the length of War And Peace so I'll hold off for now!

Yeah, mik, scheduling can be a problem--I'll have to enter into early negotiations with Mrs. Drjohnrock, as we already have tickets to see Ralph Stanley (!) the night before.  But I will make every effort to be there.  Hope to see both you and MissKitty there!
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

twentyshots

• City Elder

well, if you feel like sharing, we are all ears, that place is legendary and i never tire of hearing people's JC stories- because you don't hear them often.
i would have been 16-18 in the late 80's and only went a couple times. i may have been there once too drunk to remember who i was seeing, but i definitely remember seeing killing joke on another occasion.

where was the top hat? you don't mean top cats?
bongo hard or bongo home

Drjohnrock

• City Elder

The Top Hat was a bar in Newport on Monmouth Street a few blocks south of "downtown" Newport.  After the JC closed, it was the first place SubCubFudge Productions (Bill and friends) booked shows.  It was really funny how the redneck bar regulars reacted to being told they had to pay the cover if a band was playing. "I don't wanna hear this punk shit!"--as if Half Japanese were "punk".  What a moron.  But yeah, a couple of shows I saw there were Half Japanese (really great) and The Honeymoon Killers (greatly lacking). 

I can come up with more stories.  A good place to tell them might be at the SGHR on 5/30/2015.  Maybe a group of us could get together before the show and hear MissKitty, me and others tell them. Sounds like you have a couple yourself.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder

I saw Half Jap at The Top Hat too! It was my birthday (I think actually the day before my birthday) and Jad Fair was kind enough to sign every one of the LPs I dragged there with me. Fuckin' great show.

I saw Squirrel Bait somewhere that Bill booked but for the life of me I can't remember where. It kinda seems like it was Top Hat or Shortys, but I just can't remember anymore. I'm old.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:52:25 PM by MissKitty »

twentyshots

• City Elder

fascinating stuff! how long was the top hat open? fairly sure i never made it there.... shorty's, otoh, was right around the corner from where i lived (highland) and housemates and i went several times seeing bands we'd never heard of. was nirvana one of them? i honestly do not know.

http://cincinnatimonocle.blogspot.com/2014/02/nirvana-never-played-sudsys-they-played.html?m=1
bongo hard or bongo home

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder

I really don't know how long it was open - or rather how long good shows were booked there, but I don't think it was very long. I lived in Dayton and only heard about shows there by word of mouth. After thinking about it, I was wrong about Squirrel Bait. I saw them in Dayton. It was Bastro I saw at (I think) Top Hat. It was with the guy who edited our campus literary magazine and a couple of his friends (I would have never known about the show except that the editor was friends with Grubbs). Dude drove and we were all pretty high, so it could have been anywhere. It seems like it was Top Hat though. 

Dr.John, do you know how long Top Hat had good shows?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:04:56 AM by MissKitty »

crewbilly

• Summer Resident

Okay older folks got a question for ya's. When i was in high school in late 80's my local college radio station (RFL in Lex) used to give concert listings for the region. A place called "The Plaza" was mentioned quite frequently and I thought it was in Cincy. Does this place ring a bell with anyone?

Drjohnrock

• City Elder

Dr.John, do you know how long Top Hat had good shows?

A few months to several months, not more than a year at the very most.  By the latter part of 1989, SubCubFudge moved their operations to Murphy's Pub in lower Clifton.  The one show I saw there was, uh, Half Japanese (not that I'm obsessed or anything) with Maureen Tucker--great evening.  The Top Hat existed before allowing Bill and company to book shows there, and I think it stayed open after the good shows moved to Murphy's Pub.  It might still be open to this day for those into masochism.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder

Here is the list of bands and their time slots--subject to change, of course, but for now this is the schedule:

LOUNGE

7:45 PM-8:15 PM    Public Figure
8:30 PM-9:15 PM    The Mudlarks
9:30 PM-10:15 PM   BPA
10:30PM-11:15 PM  Perfect Jewish Couple
"closing out the night--DJ Brian Dilsizian"

REVIVAL ROOM

8:15 PM-8:45 PM      Hobilly
9:00 PM-9:45 PM      No Excuse
10:00 PM-10:45 PM  New Regrets
11:00 PM-11:45 PM  Mexican Pig Torture

SANCTUARY

8:00 PM-8:30 PM      The Speed Hickeys
8:45 PM-9:30 PM      Tigerlillies
9:45 PM-10:30 PM    SS-20
10:45 PM-11:30 PM  The Libertines (US)
11:45 PM-?              The Reduced

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder

Dr.J, where are you going to be most of the night? Maybe we can meet up. I am going to try to get there in time to catch SS-20, Libertines and The Reduced.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder

I plan on catching BPA's set (no offense to Jughead and crew but I've seen SS-20 much more recently than BPA), the first few minutes of Perfect Jewish Couple, then The Libertines.  Also plan to see at least part of The Reduced's set.  Hope to see you there!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder

Here is the list of bands and their time slots--subject to change, of course, but for now this is the schedule:

LOUNGE

7:45 PM-8:15 PM    Public Figure
8:30 PM-9:15 PM    The Mudlarks
9:30 PM-10:15 PM   BPA
10:30PM-11:15 PM  Perfect Jewish Couple
"closing out the night--DJ Brian Dilsizian"

REVIVAL ROOM

8:15 PM-8:45 PM      Hobilly
9:00 PM-9:45 PM      No Excuse
10:00 PM-10:45 PM  New Regrets
11:00 PM-11:45 PM  Mexican Pig Torture

SANCTUARY

8:00 PM-8:30 PM      The Speed Hickeys
8:45 PM-9:30 PM      Tigerlillies
9:45 PM-10:30 PM    SS-20
10:45 PM-11:30 PM  The Libertines (US)
11:45 PM-?              The Reduced

Update:

Speed Hickeys, New Regrets and Perfect Jewish Couple are all reportedly having to cancel their appearances this evening.  It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple of very last minute replacements--that would certainly be in the Jockey Club tradition!

MissKitty and anyone else who might show up tonight, I'll be wearing my black t-shirt from a previous Jockey Club reunion show (it has a picture of Shorty on the front) and black jeans.  I'm about 6'1.5", have dark brown hair and wear glasses.  And to anyone familiar with the JC, tonight's gig is sure to be a freak show, Ace!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up