Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MPMF 2015  (Read 1992 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: MPMF 2015
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »

This is happening starting TOMORROW.

Super-stoked.

Still mapping out who to see where and what time.

For sure starting out with Jr. Jr. (previously known as Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.) Friday at 6 pm at the Craft Village at Washington Park. By coincidence also the release date of their new album.

I also see Leggy in my future (tomorrow 9:30 pm at MOTR).

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

crewbilly

• Summer Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »

Euro for what its worth wnku played a track from Leggy this morning.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »

Euro for what its worth wnku played a track from Leggy this morning.
That is awesome!

(They played Sweet Teeth, from the 1st EP)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 04:47:51 PM »

I can only do one night this year due having the kids through the weekends now, but I am volunteering a the Woodward tomorrow night. I don't have to be there until 6:30, so I am going to head down as soon as work is over and check out all the cool stuff they've got going on.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 09:11:21 PM »

9-25 Jr. Jr. / Big Scary / Baliff / Purity Ring / Heat / Sarah Jaffe / Vinyl Williams - MPMF
9-26 Caspian / Ride / No/No / Alanna Royale / Cathedrals / The Moth & The Flame / Zola Jesus - MPMF
9-27 Turbo Fruits / Dirty Fences / White Reaper / Wild Ones / Heaters MPMF

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »

TayFo, I'll see you at JR JR or if that fails, at Caspian.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »

Epic first night of MidPoint.

Started out at the new MidPoint Indie Craft Village (in the south side of Washington Park) for JR JR (the erstwhile Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr). They've become ever more danceable and, dare I say, mainstream (in the most indie-major label kind of way). At their next-to-last song, one of the guys said "we're on a major label, and they won't release a new album without a song they feel they can 'sell', so here is that song", ha! Their new album was officially released yesterday and you could tell they were very excited about it.

Nick Diamonds (at Wsahington Park) was ok, although a bit off-standish for my liking. Much better was Ancient Warfare (at the Christian Moerlein stage, which was not well attended), bringing shoe-gaze drone-rock. The duo that comprises Dawg Yawp (at Mr. Pitiful) drew a big crowd for their acoustic guitar-cum-sitar set. HANA (back at Washington Park) is a one-girl 'band', singing along to pre-recorded electronic music. She confessed that MidPoint was her first festival ever. Chicago rockers Bailiff played MidPoint last year (at Washington Park) and returned this year, playing at Woodward, bringing an outstanding and hard-charging set. Must check out their latest album.

It was time to head out to MOTR for Leggy's set. Given that Purity Ring played at the same time, I was a bit worried about attendance, but I shouldn't have, MOTR was PACKED for their set. One of the better Leggy sets I've seen. After that it was back to the Woodward for Truly, playing before no more than 20-30 people? wow.

Bottom line: very enjoyable first evening. I wish they'd move the free stage where JR JR played back to where it was last year (12th & Vine). I also think that attendance was down markedly from last year. Anyone else feeling likewise?

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »

1. Favorite show: Ride.  Granted, this probably would have been my favorite show regardless, but they did sound really good and played with energy.  They did every song I'd hoped to hear. 
2. 2nd Favorite show: Moon Duon during the supermoon.  Of course.
3. Favorite show that wasn't a foregone conclusion: Strands of Oak.  The missus really likes them which generally means I won't.  Nothing else was going on at that time for me, so why not?  I'm glad I did, that was a fun show.  The whole time, I kept thinking "That singer loves what he does for a living."  Sure, it's Springsteen light, but since the band was all in, I was all in.
3. Weird WTF moment: the dude standing on the street who was wearing only a red tube top around his junk singing songs about abortions, his extensive mommy issues, and tater tot casserole.   
4. Happy surprise: Dirty Fences.  They were noisy, obnoxious, and coked up beyond any reasonable limit.
5. Minor complaint: Need more food options, needs rap.
6. Major complaint: Not having Sunday to recover is a buncha bullshit.  I hope they bring back the Thursday to Saturday schedule. 
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »

My wife and I made a last minute decision to go to the Woodward Theater to see Strand of Oaks on Saturday and I'm glad we did - they rocked the house! Before SoO came on we caught the last couple of songs from Riley Walker's set - we were both unimpressed. Nice crowd at the Woodward......
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »

Best set of the entire fest for me was without a doubt the Besnard Lakes on Saturday afternoon at Washington Park, before a small but appreciative crowd. Spoke with Olga (bassist/singer) afterwards at the merch booth, and I asked her "it's been way too long that you guys were here. Do you remember the last time?". She said she did not. I told her it was 2007 at Bogart's when they opened for Peter Bjorn and John, and that it better not be another 8 years before they come back "cuz we'll all be old by then, heck, I'm already old". Good news is that the new album will be out early in 2016. Can't wait for that. They played 2 new songs that sounded mighty good.

Other most enjoyable set for me was tried-and-true Buffalo Killers on Sunday evening at the Lightborne Lot. Love those guys. All killer, no filler.

Anyone catch Holiday Mountain on Sat at Maudie's? Duo from Austin, guy drummer and girl singing/rapping (and occasional keyboards). That was fun.

Kinky Love (at Mr. Pitiful's) initially sounded good, but the (cute looking) girl lead singer's voice is wafer-thin and off-key. What the heck?

Multimagic (at Lightborne) has been to MPMF before I believe. They're still bringing it, though. Good set.

Turbo Fruits (at MOTR) was interesting. The lead singer/guitarist looked totally wasted, but still brought some mean guitar licks.

Contrary to Foolsgold, I love the new Fri to Sun schedule, and I hope it stays that way.

I'd move the Christian Moerlein stage to Grammer's. And of course delete the Taft Ballroom altogether, and reinstate the Know Theater.

Overall, though, I really love MPMF.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 12:12:26 PM »

Best set of the entire fest for me was without a doubt the Besnard Lakes on Saturday afternoon at Washington Park, before a small but appreciative crowd. Spoke with Olga (bassist/singer) afterwards at the merch booth, and I asked her "it's been way too long that you guys were here. Do you remember the last time?". She said she did not. I told her it was 2007 at Bogart's when they opened for Peter Bjorn and John, and that it better not be another 8 years before they come back "cuz we'll all be old by then, heck, I'm already old". Good news is that the new album will be out early in 2016. Can't wait for that. They played 2 new songs that sounded mighty good.

That is good news.  They are the best.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »

Winners of MPMF:

Fri: Bailiff - Just straight up solid rock & roll and doing it right
Sat: Alanna Royale - Female vocals with R&B soul to the souliest (it's a word). They're coming back to MOTR sometime.
Sun: White Reaper - Garage punk at it's finest with a little keyboard for flavor.

Shout out to Turbo Fruits for covering The Undertones.

Yes, they could use food trucks at Moerlein and Lightborne. I don't know about anyone else, but it felt like attendance was down this year.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »

Yes, they could use food trucks at Moerlein and Lightborne. I don't know about anyone else, but it felt like attendance was down this year.

I'm sure the "official" numbers will correct you about that.  Attendance is always higher than the year before, even when it isn't.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but it felt like attendance was down this year.
Yes, WAY down from the last couple of years.

Could this have to do with the fact that there were about 20% less number of bands performing this year?

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but it felt like attendance was down this year.
Yes, WAY down from the last couple of years.

Could this have to do with the fact that there were about 20% less number of bands performing this year?

Very well could.  I also wonder if another reason might be the increasing tendency to have fewer well known bands.  Yes, discovering new and/or obscure bands has always been a big part of MidPoint.  But I find it curious how prior to this year's MidPoint, the MPMF facebook page kept referring to it as a "tastemaker's festival".  To me that's code for: (1) expect lesser headliners and fewer well known bands (2) expect fewer acts overall (3) don't expect a price decrease.   
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up