Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPMF 2015  (Read 1141 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: MPMF 2015
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but it felt like attendance was down this year.
Yes, WAY down from the last couple of years.

Could this have to do with the fact that there were about 20% less number of bands performing this year?

Very well could.  I also wonder if another reason might be the increasing tendency to have fewer well known bands.  Yes, discovering new and/or obscure bands has always been a big part of MidPoint.  But I find it curious how prior to this year's MidPoint, the MPMF facebook page kept referring to it as a "tastemaker's festival".  To me that's code for: (1) expect lesser headliners and fewer well known bands (2) expect fewer acts overall (3) don't expect a price decrease.

Drjohn, I think you are EXACTLY on target.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 03:58:17 PM »

This year's changes had some good and bad. I'm torn on the Friday through Sunday. It makes it much better for out of towners but Sunday seems a bad night to have shows starting at 11 or after.

I really missed the Midway and the Know theatre. Having that big central area really brings a sense of self to the festival, like it all starts from there. The Washington Park village was good, but nearly as cool as the midway was. I hope the midway comes back next year.

The new venues were a mixed bag. I really liked the Lightborne lot, but part of that has to do with the perfect weather we had. And of course the Woodward was a great addition. On the other hand, Maudie's was complete crap.

The one thing that really stood out to me is how Washington Park is almost an entirely different event than MidPoint. With it starting so much earlier (and ending at 8 PM on Saturday for some unknown reason) it doesn't really vibe with the rest of the venues. Same goes for the Taft Ballroom, but that is because of the distance of that one.

I like to see the returners this year. There was a decent amount of bands who have been in the past and keep coming back, which is good to see.

Overall, it was good as always, but I'm not sure of some of the changes this year.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »

Dirk, they had to stop at Washington Park at 8 on Saturday because of the conflicting CSO performance at Music Hall that started at 8 (on Friday, the CSO played at 11 am so there was no evening conflict then). I'm still in favor of keeping Washington Park, due to its proximity to the other OtR venues (it's literally less than 5 min. to walk from there to the Woodward/MOTR area.

And I couldn't agree more with you regarding the Midway area and the Know. BRING THEM BACK!

AND also agreed about Maudie's. Apart from not being able to see much unless you are completely upfront (I was towards the front but not at the very front), I kept thinking to myself "if there is an emergency of any kind, we're all gonna die here". Not funny.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 11:47:43 AM »

I was surprised at the crowd for Truly too. They played a great set and I got to talk to their singer a bit, he said they were really impressed and that we "have a good thing going here" w/r/t to the festival and the neighborhood.

I bailed about halfway through All them witches because I was too damn tired. But it was fun, Woodward was an excellent addition this year.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up