Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Coming to Ludlow Garage (not a time warp)  (Read 1752 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Coming to Ludlow Garage (not a time warp)
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »

September 18, 2015:  Freedy Johnston

When they announced the place was reopening months and months ago, I thought "yeah, right" and promptly forgot about it.  But this gig was listed on www.pollstar.com and is also listed on Johnston's website.  So it's apparently happening.  The location will be quite appealing to a certain forum member...
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

mik

• City Elder
Re: Coming to Ludlow Garage (not a time warp)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »

Ha, saw Freedy back in '94 (or somewhere around then) when he opened up for Sheryl Crow at the Taft. I won the tickets from WOXY!
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »

Ha, saw Freedy back in '94 (or somewhere around then) when he opened up for Sheryl Crow at the Taft.

Did he play Fun Ride?  I'm guessing not...
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »

Living in Clifton I can walk there in under ten minutes. When they said national, regional and local bands I assumed it would end up being the same five locals in a week, but now I have hope. I'd go to this but it's the same night as Death Cab For Cutie.

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:55:02 AM »

Ha, saw Freedy back in '94 (or somewhere around then) when he opened up for Sheryl Crow at the Taft.

Did he play Fun Ride?  I'm guessing not...
I can't recall but I am absolutely sure that he played Bad Reputation!  ;D
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »

Advance tickets for Ludlow Garage shows are available at XXXXXXXX.*  Well, at least for national level touring acts.  In addition to Freedy Johnston in September, Matisyahu is coming on October 30.  Not familiar with that artist's music but others might be.

*on edit:  I got the website wrong.  It is actually www.tunestub.com
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:03:40 PM by Drjohnrock »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 03:17:33 PM »

Matisyahu is coming on October 30.  Not familiar with that artist's music but others might be.
Was hot for a while some 8-9 years ago, when he toured as an Orthodox-Jewish guy playing all-out reggae, an obvious combination (?). His debut EP (forgot the title) was REALLY good.

Then a few years ago, he dropped the Orthodox-Jewish appearance, also cut his hair, and became unrecognizable. Of course, by then, his (new) music wasn't any good anymore.

I saw him at Bogart's at some point in the early years.

DrJohn, what is the capacity of the reincarnated Ludlow Garage?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 05:18:51 PM »

DrJohn, what is the capacity of the reincarnated Ludlow Garage?

The only thing I've seen re:  capacity was on an ad the ownership purportedly placed on another website advertising for a chef for the restaurant part of the place.  It said the downstairs concert portion of the place holds 300.  Don't know whether I would take that as gospel, though.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 06:38:28 PM »

September 18, 2015:  Freedy Johnston

When they announced the place was reopening months and months ago, I thought "yeah, right" and promptly forgot about it.  But this gig was listed on www.pollstar.com and is also listed on Johnston's website.  So it's apparently happening.  The location will be quite appealing to a certain forum member...

Update:  The venue for this gig has been changed to The Thompson House.  Same date, in the Parlour (Fidlar is in the main room).     I guess the new Ludlow Garage won't be ready by 9/18.  They had to postpone another show that was set for last night.  I have a possible conflict but I will still make the show if
I can.  Just wish it was at a different place...

pourmesometea

• Summer Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 02:03:31 PM »

saw the show prices in the enquirer, $75!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 02:18:17 PM »

In all fairness, the top prices for most of the shows they have scheduled are for the first one to three rows.  But even taking that into consideration, the prices seem inordinately high.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:21:03 PM by Drjohnrock »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 12:17:16 AM »

walked by it today as I was going to see a movie at the Esquire.

Saw posters for upcoming shows for Vanessa Carlton, Howie Day and Matisayhu.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 01:21:43 AM »

For folkie fans, Livingston Taylor will be there on 10/31.  Tom Rush is booked for May 2016.  I might go to that one if the place is still open then--somehow I have my doubts.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 08:22:41 AM »

Saw posters for upcoming shows for Vanessa Carlton, Howie Day and Matisayhu.

What year is this again?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »

March 5, 2016 - Rickie Lee Jones

OK, I'm not exactly a huge fan but I did like her first album back in the day. And the venue is slowly adding more shows for the coming months.  I still question the long term viability of a space with such a small capacity/number of seats, and I doubt many full rock bands will ever play there.   But they certainly have more upcoming concerts than the Thompson House, though that seems like faint praise.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:45:28 PM by Drjohnrock »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up