Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coming to Ludlow Garage (not a time warp)  (Read 8621 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Re: Coming to Ludlow Garage (not a time warp)
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »

I “roadied” for The Clash once. At a matinee gig, Joe asked me if I wouldn’t mind moving a small speaker stack from one side of the stage to behind where he had his mic. I did. He thanked me. I saw the show later that afternoon and the ‘adult’ version of it in the evening.

By that reckoning, and based on who Black Uhuru consist of now, I’m thinking I could quite possibly single-handedly tour as “The Clash”

Seeing Culture with one genuine member was bad enough. An ex-drummer touring as “Faust” was sacreligious. “Black Uhuru” is nothing like band you’re paying to see. There’s too much of this shit going at the moment. I blame “The Who”
Opulence. I has it.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2018, 02:18:40 PM »

Please also see “Humble Pie” at the Ludlow Garage.
Opulence. I has it.

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »

You could also be Lynyrd Skynyrd  but I think your experience with the Clash makes you over qualified.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2018, 10:44:00 PM »

I looked up the official Black Uhuru website, and the only remaining original member is Duckie Thompson, so no Sly, no Robbie, no Michael Rose. So no me.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »

Is Joey Molland still doing shows as Badfinger?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »

The Alarm

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »

The Alarm
ha! wha????

i might have to do it. first concert i ever saw (bogarts 1985).

wait....will i have come full circle and die?
bongo hard or bongo home

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »

the alarm was interesting. mike peters had a really great anecdote about meeting johnny rotten and joe strummer that kind of made the night.

this was my first time at the ludlow garage as it is in the old pizza place.......its maybe the weirdest space i've ever seen a show at.
bongo hard or bongo home

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2018, 11:48:22 PM »

this was my first time at the ludlow garage as it is in the old pizza place.......its maybe the weirdest space i've ever seen a show at.

The newish ownership has long range plans to get rid of the airplane-like seats and eliminate or relocate the kitchen between the two seat sections. We'll see if they really get around to it.

The most unusual/weirdest venue I ever saw a show at was "The Great Auditorium" in Ocean Grove, New Jersey. It was built around the time of the Civil War.  A large part of it is constructed with wood and it looks like it would catch on fire if you stared at it too intensely
 but it's survived all these years.  It's owned by a religious sect called "The Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association" but they rent it out for secular concerts, one of which I saw.  Members of the sect are referred to locally as "The Tent People".  Members of the sect literally pitch tents and camp out very close to the venue during the warmer months.  I was there during the summer and the tents are huge--some of them look like not-so-miniature row houses. Quite a bizarre experience.

Most unusual/weirdest venue people have ever been to--maybe that would be a good thread...
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »

11/1/2019 - 999

Yes, that 999.  Youi can't make this shit up.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2019, 06:45:58 PM »

This venue will close for renovations after the Al Stewart show on June 1, and reopen with Pat Travers in early September.

The only thing certain is that the airplane-like seats will be removed. Supposedly a bar will be added downstairs. The newish ownership previously talked about creating more space by eliminating the kitchen that separates the two sections. If they intend to keep the restaurant, they will need to put the kitchen elsewhere. I don't know where that would be. It will be interesting to see the finished product this fall.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2019, 12:47:43 AM »

I have never seen a show there. But I walk by it quite often when I go to see a movie at the Esquire (which I do a lot). It seemed to me the restaurant is doing quite well, lots of people much of the time I walk by.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2019, 12:18:28 PM »

Yes, the restaurant seems to do well, at least on nights they have a concert.  I wasn't impressed with it under the prior ownership--the food was OK but the service was abysmal.  I'll try it again under the newish ownership.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up