Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: a thread for Southgate House Revival shows  (Read 2357 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Re: a thread for Southgate House Revival shows
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 12:06:23 PM »

May 15, 2016 - Wanda Jackson.  The Queen of Rock and Roll. 
THAT Wanda Jackson? Isn't she like 75 or 80 years old (young?) now?

She's 78 years young as of October 10 of this year.  The last time I saw her in December 2012 at the Taft ballroom.  Her amazing voice had lost none of its power, and I've heard no reports to the contrary since then.  She can mop the floor with most female rockers less than half her age.  I'm just glad she still seems to be in good health and touring.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 08:52:45 AM »

May 15, 2016 - Wanda Jackson.  The Queen of Rock and Roll. 
THAT Wanda Jackson? Isn't she like 75 or 80 years old (young?) now?

She's 78 years young as of October 10 of this year.  The last time I saw her in December 2012 at the Taft ballroom.  Her amazing voice had lost none of its power, and I've heard no reports to the contrary since then.  She can mop the floor with most female rockers less than half her age.  I'm just glad she still seems to be in good health and touring.

Wanda had to cancel her SGHR show--as well as most of her other spring tour dates--due to surgery  :(  However, the SGHR website has a nice message from Wanda to her fans explaining why she had to cancel the dates.  The lady is all class.  Hopefully the show will get rescheduled later this year.

On a more positive note, the "NRBQ v. Los Straitjackets" tour is coming to the SGHR on Friday September 16.  That should be a very entertaining show.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »

Scott Miller (duo),  Friday July 29, 2016.  This is the same night as the free Reverend Horton Heat show on Fountain Square.  But if it's raining that evening, Mr. Miller is my backup plan.  He put on a great show at the Taft ballroom with the duo configuration a couple of years ago.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »

December 15, 2016--Reverend Horton Heat (with Nashville Pussy, Unknown Hinson, and I forget the other act)

Counting the free show on Fountain Square on July 29, this will be the third time the Good Rev has played in the area this year.  I think he might like Cincinnati, whaddya think?

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 09:14:16 PM »

Definite signs of life:

Friday 8/12/2016--Gang Green
Sunday 9/25/2016--Webb Wilder
Thursday 9/27/2016--The Vibrators
Friday 10/7/2016--Southern Culture On The Skids
Thursday 10/20/2016--Beach Slang and Bleached

Of course, these are in addition to Los Straitjackets and NRBQ on Friday 9/16/2016 and Reverend Horton Heat/Nashville Pussy/Unknown Hinson/Lucky Tubb on Thursday 12/15/2016.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »

Reverend Horton Heat/Nashville Pussy/Unknown Hinson/Lucky Tubb on Thursday 12/15/2016.
All on one bill? Blows the mind!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 10:36:59 PM »

Reverend Horton Heat/Nashville Pussy/Unknown Hinson/Lucky Tubb on Thursday 12/15/2016.
All on one bill? Blows the mind!
This seems like another leg of the show they did in February at Bogart's. To Unknown Hinson fans: The Rev and his crew played a few Unknown Hinson songs with Hinson on stage. But I do love me some Heat, so I'll be there.

. . . and SCOTS
 . . . and Beach Slang

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24:53 AM »

Scott Miller (duo),  Friday July 29, 2016.  This is the same night as the free Reverend Horton Heat show on Fountain Square.  But if it's raining that evening, Mr. Miller is my backup plan.  He put on a great show at the Taft ballroom with the duo configuration a couple of years ago.

Scott Miller it is--got my tickets yesterday.  I'd love to see the Rev for free but (1) I don't like him enough to stand in the rain, and (2) Mrs. Drjohnrock expressed an interest in see Scott Miller, so she's going with me.  Besides, the good Rev is coming back in December, so I might be able to see him then. 

In the unlikely event anyone is going to see Scott instead of RHH, be sure to say hi.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »

(1) I don't like him enough to stand in the rain
Nobody's been able to predict the rain well with all these spoty showers. It's going to rain, but they don't know when and where. Even my best weather app can't predict much outside of an hour. If it ends up being a long steady rain, I'll end up going to The Woodward for Multimagic and Dawg Yawp.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 08:52:18 PM »

Saturday 10/8 - The [non-Afghan] Whigs
Sunday 11/20 - The Dickies/The Queers
Saturday 11/26 - The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band

The Dickies/Queers double bill is on a Sunday but close enough to Thanksgiving that I may be able to attend.

It's interesting to see that Rev. Peyton and crew have moved their annual Thanksgiving weekend show from the Taft ballroom to SGHR.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:17:35 PM by Drjohnrock »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 12:18:57 AM »

Saturday 10/8 - The [non-Afghan] Whigs

Love the Whigs. If I'm in town, I'll be there!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 05:00:24 PM »

I'm excited about Beach Slang!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 06:09:08 PM »

Would like to go myself but the weeknight date makes that unlikely. You and TayFo will have to give us full reports.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 10:35:01 PM »

Would like to go myself but the weeknight date makes that unlikely. You and TayFo will have to give us full reports.
I actually opted for Bear Hands and Savior Adore at 20th Century.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 10:46:02 PM »

I actually opted for Bear Hands and Savior Adore at 20th Century.
Didn't realize this was the same evening.... I will be at Savoir Adore

TayFo.... check... Not Savior Adore LOL

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up