Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: a thread for Southgate House Revival shows  (Read 2390 times)

TayFo

• City Elder
Re: a thread for Southgate House Revival shows
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2016, 12:07:05 PM »

Would like to go myself but the weeknight date makes that unlikely. You and TayFo will have to give us full reports.
I actually opted for Bear Hands and Savior Adore at 20th Century.
Didn't realize this was the same evening.... I will be at Savoir Adore

TayFo.... check... Not Savior Adore LOL
I'll get that right one of these years.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2016, 05:19:37 PM »

Trixi and I went to Noir at SGH's Revival Room last night. It was a fun night of dancing to 80s/goth/industrial/cyberpunk with tag-team DJs, lots of pulsating laser lights and excellent goth fashion people-watching. I stayed out way past my bedtime ... and will probably do it again next month.

Surprisingly we were NOT the oldest people there - possibly the oldest people actually dancing, but not the oldest in the room. Which was nice.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »

Trixi and I went to Noir at SGH's Revival Room last night. It was a fun night of dancing to 80s/goth/industrial/cyberpunk with tag-team DJs, lots of pulsating laser lights and excellent goth fashion people-watching. I stayed out way past my bedtime ... and will probably do it again next month.

Surprisingly we were NOT the oldest people there - possibly the oldest people actually dancing, but not the oldest in the room. Which was nice.
And we got carded! LOL
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 11:00:52 AM »

Friday 10/7/2016--Southern Culture On The Skids

The Split Squad has been added to the bill.  To those not familiar, The Split Squad is composed of the following people who are or were in the bands after their names:

Clem Burke-Blondie
Keith Streng-The Fleshtones
Eddie Munoz-Plimsouls
Michael Giblin-Parallax Project
John Kantor-The Baseball Project, Jim's Big Ego

Hopefully I can make it to this show.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »

Who else is hitting up the Beach Slang show besides Trixi and me?

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 09:17:50 PM »

If only it were on a weekend  :(  And if I had a nickel for every time I've said that on this board, I could buy and sell Bill Gates. 

I look forward to reports from you and/or Trixi.  Hope they play Punks At A Disco Bar.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2016, 10:39:06 PM »

Totally unrelated, Leggy played at the SGH Revival this past weekend for some benefit show. I hadn't been to that venue in a long time, and had forgotten what a beautiful venue that really is.

(Reason that I haven't been there in such a long time--I'd have to look it up how long really, is that most bands that are playing there these days are completely foreign to me, which doesn't speak well of me as a music lover, I realize that. Back in the old days of the original SGH, I went there all the time, as they were booking acts that were relevant to me.)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »

Who else is hitting up the Beach Slang show besides Trixi and me?

You and Trixi may already know this, MissKitty, but in case you or other persons thinking of going aren't aware, guitarist Ruben Gallego has left Beach Slang in the wake of allegations that have recently surfaced that he committed sexual assault four years ago.  The details are on the band's Facebook page.  So for the rest of this tour, it will be James Alex solo, playing electric guitar.  He says that refunds will be available for those who want to see a full band show. 

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »

Thanks for the update, Dr.J. I didn't know the reason for the change but I did get an email from SGH saying the show has been changed to "acoustic" rather than a full band.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »

Thanks for the update, Dr.J. I didn't know the reason for the change but I did get an email from SGH saying the show has been changed to "acoustic" rather than a full band.

Kudos to SGHR for letting advance online ticket purchasers know it won't be a full band show.

As for electric vs. acoustic, at first the band's Facebook page said the tour would be a "Quiet Beach" acoustic one.  Then James Alex said one of the upcoming shows would be him, an electric guitar and an amplifier.  So it could go either--or both--ways. 

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »

I haven't actually purchased a ticket yet but I am on their email blast list and noticed that they had changed it to list the show as 'acoustic.' Either way it was good of them to be proactive about it.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2016, 09:02:09 PM »

The Big Crunch from the woxy boards posted the following on Facebook about the Beach Slang situation:

"Having seen this show on Tuesday night, I'd urge everyone to go who has the opportunity. Yes, Beach Slang has now been reduced down to James Alex and his screaming loud electric guitar and yet, it's amazing to see the guy go ahead with the tour after basically losing his whole band before the tour was set to start. On Tuesday he basically played every song they had and then the covers....Husker Du, Jawbreaker, The Smiths, multiple Pixies tunes, a couple of 'Mats tunes, the Cure, Springsteen, The Lemonheads, Tommy Keene... Say what you want about him, but if nothing else, he's got impeccable taste in music and and is about as passionate a performer as I've ever seen."

Doesn't sound as if it's an acoustic show!
also known as rcc94

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:35 PM »

I'm looking forward to it!
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 09:15:22 PM »

Monday November 7, 2016 -- Marshall Crenshaw & Bottle Rockets

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2016, 09:09:28 PM »

Sunday 11/20 - The Dickies/The Queers

The Dickies/Queers double bill is on a Sunday but close enough to Thanksgiving that I may be able to attend.

I'm taking Monday off from work so I'll be there--got my ticket earlier this evening.

And looking ahead to 2017:

Sunday 2/26/2017--Jason Ringenberg (of Jason and the Scorchers)

And earlier that day, he'll don his Farmer Jason hat and do a kids' show at the SGHR.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up