Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: a thread for Southgate House Revival shows  (Read 3968 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Re: a thread for Southgate House Revival shows
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »

Ross Raleigh, founder/owner of the Southgate House and Southgate House Revival, has passed away:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/06/11/ross-raleigh-southgate-house-revival-dead-age-74/685419002/

While I'm sure Morella will continue to do a great job with the SGHR, it's sad to lose such a major figure in the local music scene.  I found out about the celebration of his life at SGHR too late for me to attend.  Other than exchanging pleasantries a time or two, I never really talked to him.  I know mik had a long talk with him awhile back.  Maybe sometime in the future he can share some of what they discussed.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »

Heads up Television fans. Richard Lloyd is coming to SGH next month.

I'm waffling on whether or not to go because the venue says the show starts at midnight and I'm not down with that. Kinda hoping they update the site to say the show starts at a normal time but right now it says doors open at 11 p.m. and the show starts at 11:55 p.m.

Found out he's doing a book signing at Barnes & Noble at the Levee the same day, so I might go to that instead.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2018, 10:41:22 PM »

midnight.

i don't get that. this isn't studio 54 and we are all coked out of our minds......and i'm not trying to sound like a fuddy duddy (although saying "fuddy duddy", makes you one) but no one wants that, midnight.

even if i pretend i'm 21 again and someone tells me jane's addiction or cop shoot cop or......it doesn't even matter who it is.......is coming on at midnight, i'd be like, WHY? who fucked that scheduling up? 11 is bad enough.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:43:28 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2018, 02:47:19 PM »

I'm waffling on whether or not to go because the venue says the show starts at midnight and I'm not down with that. Kinda hoping they update the site to say the show starts at a normal time but right now it says doors open at 11 p.m. and the show starts at 11:55 p.m.

Found out he's doing a book signing at Barnes & Noble at the Levee the same day, so I might go to that instead.

I 'm going to try to make it to the show.  The midnight start isn't optimal but as long as he doesn't have one (or more) opening acts...
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »

I 'm going to try to make it to the show.  The midnight start isn't optimal but as long as he doesn't have one (or more) opening acts...

Yeah, I'd REALLY like to see him. Never got a chance to see Television BITD and surely he'll play at least a few Television songs.

I saw an amazing show by Tom Verlaine years ago at The Wexner but he was playing an original score for a Man Ray film and there was no Television played (at least that I can recall).

That said, I ain't 24 any more and a midnight start time is not optimal.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »

So I got some more insight as to why the Richard Lloyd show starts at midnight. Apparently his book deals with his opioid addiction (which basically ruined his career back in the 70s/80s) and how he got sober. He will be the keynote speaker at the annual meeting of The Ohio Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, which is the same night as the SGH show. So he's doing the keynote thing and then coming straight from it to the gig, hence the super late start time.

The book signing is the following day (Sat. Aug. 18) at Barnes & Noble at the Levee, not the same day as I had originally thought.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:59:22 AM by MissKitty »

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »

Lloyd is going to do a show in Indy on Saturday 8/18, with a normal start time.  Depending on my schedule, I might go to that one instead of SGHR.  Since I live on the west side, it's easier for me to get to Indy than it is to get to Columbus or Louisville.  I could be back home from Indy possibly before midnight, which is his SGHR start time.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up