Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: British Barclays Premier League 2015-2016  (Read 9175 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: British Barclays Premier League 2015-2016
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »

NBC retains Premier League rights until 2021-22 season

NEW YORK -- Traditionally a three-year deal, the English Premier League's extension with NBC is for double that.

The company's networks will broadcast the football league through the 2021-22 season under the new agreement announced Monday. NBC had initially won the rights in 2012 from Fox and ESPN with a three-year contract.

The company submitted both three- and six-year bids, NBC Sports Group Chairman Mark Lazarus said on a conference call. The longer term "we found tremendously valuable and important," he added.

Financial terms were not released, but Lazarus acknowledged the fees had increased from the current $250 million, three-year deal. He recalled telling Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's executive chairman, during the 2012 negotiations: "If we are successful, we know we are going to have to pay more money to retain these rights."

"That has happened," Lazarus said with a chuckle, "and we are proud that it was successful in growing the league, because we have grown and benefited, as well."

Viewership has been soaring for international football in the U.S., making the Premier League a hot property with most major sports rights locked up long term.

The Premier League draws a young, affluent audience that for advertisers is "becoming more and more elusive in television and in television sports," Lazarus said.

NBC Sports will continue to broadcast every Premier League match on TV and via stream. USA Network added games this season to go along with NBC and NBCSN, with Spanish-language coverage on Telemundo and NBC Universo.

Premier League viewership on NBC and NBCSN averaged a record 479,000 viewers last season -- up 9 percent from a year earlier.

"We've just seen it take off," Scudamore said in an interview on NBCSN about American interest in English football.

"It's mainstream," he added, "and lots of people are talking about it."

Lazarus said the longer deal would allow for more investment by NBC, including sending more broadcasters over to England. Under three-year agreements, he recalled, "the minute you sign, you sort of feel like you're running for office again."

A person familiar with the negotiations said Fox and beIN Sports also submitted bids.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »

I quite liked Fox's work when they had the Premier League, but in truth I don't have any complaints about NBC's work, so this is probably good news. Get used to Rebecca Lowe!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »

When Fox had the Premier League, they did not stream every Premier League game.  NBC does.  For that alone, NBC>>>>>>Fox.

Also, Fox's analysts all sucked ass.  NBC's range from mediocre to somewhat decent.  Plus NBC throws in some cool stuff like Men in Blazers, whereas Fox threw in horrible call-in type/people yelling stupid things at each other type shows.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 12:41:24 PM »

Oh. I had thought Fox streamed every game, too. Shows what I know. I agree with everything you said, too.  It's good news.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »

The only worrisome thing in that article is this:

Lazarus said the longer deal would allow for more investment by NBC, including sending more broadcasters over to England.

No, you don't need to send broadcasters to England. The less American announcers, the better. They should NEVER be allowed to call football games, let alone Premiership football. That would be the equivalent of getting BBC announcers calling major league baseball games. Just doesn't work. (Check: Fox announcers calling Team USA games. Just horrible. Thank goodness for Univision.)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:23 AM »

I didn't think they were talking about match commentators.  They already have Arlo White and Steve Bower doing the commentary for the broadcast featured matches (the streaming matches just use the standard international feed) with Lee Dixon and Graeme Le Saux doing the ex-jock color analysis.  So everyone's already English and in England.  Unless they plan on showing more games on TV, I don't think any of that is changing.  And if they do show more games, pretty sure they will stick with guys who know the Premier League and have done it before ie. all Brits.

I think they meant they would move their "studio" reporting to England a la college football.  Pre-game, post-game, and sideline reporters to yak at Rebecca Lowe, and do the post-game analysis/League review from the pitch of the featured game.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 04:31:33 PM »

Saints were rubbish today.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »

Opulence. I has it.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 07:33:27 PM »

indeed. i watched as all your passion for the club sparked my interest; they were destroyed and never looked very good.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 11:30:50 PM »

Saints were rubbish today.
Have no allegiance to either team but love me some Romelu Lukaku. I can only hope he'll be as strong for Belgium in the upcoming Euro qualifiers.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 09:31:52 AM »

indeed. i watched as all your passion for the club sparked my interest; they were destroyed and never looked very good.

Everton definitely the better team yesterday - even without sexy beast Leighton Baines.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 12:58:59 AM »

Saints were bad, but also credit Everton.  They played well.

And that's the bigger concern for me over the season.  There are a lot of teams that have looked good to me this year.  As a whole the League looks much stronger than it did last year.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 01:30:39 AM »

Have no allegiance to either team but love me some Romelu Lukaku. I can only hope he'll be as strong for Belgium in the upcoming Euro qualifiers.

That's the problem with Lukaku.  When he's on, he looks as good as anyone in the world.  But he lacks consistency and will disappear for long periods.  It's a mystery to me why this happens as he often looks like even with 75% effort he would still bag a goal every other game.

Still only 22 though.  He still has plenty of time to put it together although he has gotten to the point in his career where it's no longer a given that his faults will disappear with age and experience.  It's something he'll have to work at.  But if he puts the effort in, he can be one of the world's best.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 06:24:09 AM »

So Chelsea's complete dismantling yesterday was "fake"? Oh Jose, you so crazy.

Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 09:44:12 AM »

Seems to me after the early returns that Saints lost their starting DM, their starting RB, one of their starting CBs, have their starting LB injured, and their GK is injured as well. So ... their defense stinks.

Sounds to me like Schneiderlin was undervalued...even at the massive price we valued him at.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up