Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV Shows in 2015  (Read 5675 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: New TV Shows in 2015
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »

He's a frequent guest on Adam Carolla's podcast. Always interesting, that man.
Good to know. I'm newly obsessed with Phil now. So, I'll have to seek those episodes out.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »

"I'll Have What Phil's Having" on PBS is probably my favorite new show of Fall TV 2015.
He makes THE BEST FACES.

The episode this week was amazing.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »

"I'll Have What Phil's Having" on PBS is probably my favorite new show of Fall TV 2015.
He makes THE BEST FACES.

The episode this week was amazing.
Bring the fat of a goose and of a duck, please.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 12:28:45 AM »

Moving my iZombie comments here, since the show technically started in 2015.

Love that Robert Knepper has been cast as Angus DeBeers, the father of Blaine (David Anders). Hope we'll get periodic appearances from him.
also known as rcc94

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »

MASTER OF NONE on Netflix is sooooooooooooooo good. Not perfect, but SOOOOOOOOOOO good.
10 episodes. 30 minutes(ish) each.
Well worth the time to just shotgun the whole season.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »

I watched the first two episodes and wasn't in love. Does it get better? Will I fall in love, or should I determine that it's not for me based on two episodes?

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 12:49:06 PM »

Have that on my queue, along with WITH BOB AND DAVID hitting Netflix tomorrow.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »

My thoughts on Master of None:

1)  Most of the actors other than Aziz Ansari are bad. 

2)  Everyone has kind of a flat affect, and sounds like Scarlett Johansson.

3)  Everyone is wearing clothes that are way too expensive and way too trendy for me to believe they are just regular people.  I'm not talking about like a "Friends" kind of deal where they are wearing $500 sweaters that look like $30 sweaters.  They're wearing $1000 jackets that look like $1000 jackets.

4)  There is a sort of Seinfeld/Larry Sanders/Curb Your Enthusiasm aspect to the show where the main characters have flaws and because of that, things don't really end happy and it's all kind of circular.  Except that everyone is so young, good looking, and seemingly rich that when they end up right back where they started it doesn't have any sting to it.

I can really only objectively blame the show for #1.  The rest is really more like... I don't think the characters are intended to quite be as trendy and hip and unrelatable.  I'm just too old now to care about the problems of late 20's/early 30 year olds.  Like pretty much the first scene of the the first episode involves Plan B and Uber, and right away I was like "Huh?" 

There is also a lot of sex talk, which made me wonder if I was getting prude in my old age.  But really, I think it's more like... shouldn't these people have better things to talk about?  They spend a lot of time scheming about, debating, or rehashing sexual escapades.  Which seems like a waste of time, since they all seem to be able to have sex with attractive people with the same consistent regularity with which they presumably poop.  Like... why do you spend so much time worrying about this stuff when you can just go to some random event and end up having sex with Claire Danes?  I would be more concerned with where I'm going to eat dinner.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 04:45:24 PM »

I would be more concerned with where I'm going to eat dinner.
Well, they had the "second best taco" conversation when they wanted some lunch. That didn't do it for you either?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »

I would be more concerned with where I'm going to eat dinner.
Well, they had the "second best taco" conversation when they wanted some lunch. That didn't do it for you either?

No, because then they spent inordinate amounts of effort/discussion/research on where to eat, too. 

But I mean.. I do understand that is the point.  I think the underlying theme of the show is that Ansari and friends have so many choices that they have become spoiled and less happy than they should be. 

But like if you think about Louie, Louie CK is both a massive complainer, and self-aware of the fact that he has nothing to complain about.  The fact that he essentially realizes he has no real case just kind of drives his angst and uncomfortableness.  He is unhappy with the degree to which he is unhappy, and he complains about the degree to which other people complain.  And that whole circular sort of dynamic just ratchets up the tension.

Ansari as a writer, and his character in the show have that self-awareness but somehow avoid the existential angst that should be associated with that self-awareness.  Fundamentally, they are all so sort of good-hearted and optimistic that it doesn't really matter.  It's all very post-modern.  The fact that their lives are so awesome they worry about trivial things is not a concern or cause for guilt so much as it is a source for hipster irony.  It's the punchline to the joke, and so they embrace it in a way that I find off-putting. 

Like the show about their parents/families was really well-done.  When I was 30 I would have totally related to that.  But when you get to be 40, the stakes are higher.  You aren't worried that you might be a little self-centered for not fixing your dad's iPhone, or not inviting him out to eat.  You worry that you are being self-centered for not quitting your job and spending all your time with the parent who is dying of cancer. 

It would be better if it was more like say "Friends" where they just live in this totally artificial happy bubble where truly nothing bad happens and they need no self-awareness.  Or if it was harsher and meaner and bad things actually happened to the characters.  As it is now, the show constantly hints that there's a harsh reality out there, but allows everyone to mostly ignore it.  Which is frustrating. 

But I think really it's just that I'm too old.  They laugh about things which at that age I probably would also have laughed at, but in midlife really aren't quite as funny.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:45:25 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »

I have watched the first two episodes of that show, so I want to comment on one thing. The sort of world that I've seen from them - eating out a lot, walking around NYC - that is indeed a world that most people I know live in. Or perhaps lived in....the aging element ZK is bringing up is a little too close to home...but nonetheless I don't feel like they are rich hipsters. Maybe their outfits are (I'm not aware of that stuff) but the kids and the eating and the parents and all that? It seems a fairly accurate portrayal of what I see in my life.

Also, the more I think about it, the final joke at the end of the first episode was hilarious.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »

Watched three more episodes of Master of None last night. It definitely got better in the 4th and 5th episodes and I think I enjoy it now. Many of the people are awkward and the lines are awkward, and they are such characters that they are hard to believe. However I think that's part of the fun.

Again, I didn't really notice their clothing, but I did notice that I don't really relate to someone in the acting world. However, I do know people in that world, so that's something.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »

My thoughts on Master of None:
3)  Everyone is wearing clothes that are way too expensive and way too trendy for me to believe they are just regular people.  I'm not talking about like a "Friends" kind of deal where they are wearing $500 sweaters that look like $30 sweaters.  They're wearing $1000 jackets that look like $1000 jackets.

Just saw this (Source):
Even the wardrobe in the series is true to life. [Says Ansari] ďI just wore my own clothes. But people have been asking me on Twitter where I got such and such a jacket from and I canít tell them itís Saint Laurent because my character is supposed to be a struggling actor! Thereís no way he could afford a Saint Laurent shearling jacket.Ē

Well, that explains it a little bit. I mean, it doesn't justify it for the characters, but at least the show creators are aware of the dichotomy.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »

Nice pull!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »

FARGO is bonkers good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up