Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV Shows in 2015  (Read 6706 times)

dirk

• City Elder
Re: New TV Shows in 2015
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »

I still have 2 episodes left of Jessica Jones, and it is brutal. Though why people other than Jessica are blaming Jessica for Kilgrave's actions, I don't know. (I get why she does- it's part of her character) And Fake Captain America is turning out to be interesting too.
I think it is because that is what he believes. He is constantly telling them about Jessica and how she is causing all of this because of what she did to him. So it is easy for them to blame her as well because if she didn't do what she did, Kilgrave wouldn't be doing thing to them (at least in his and their mind, in reality he probably would still be doing it). It's kind of like a Stockholm Syndrome where they here it so much from him they start to believe it as well.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2015, 09:08:31 AM »

Finished off Season 2 of Fargo a couple of days ago.  That was pretty amazing.  I don't know that much beats Jeffrey Donovan and Kirsten Dunst in the cabin together.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »

Finished off Season 2 of Fargo a couple of days ago.  That was pretty amazing.  I don't know that much beats Jeffrey Donovan and Kirsten Dunst in the cabin together.
Don't totally omit Ed. He needed to be there too in order for Donovan to communicate with someone with those eye rolls.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »

Finally finished off Jessica Jones. 

I was thinking it would be more like a noir-ish detective show.  Like every week a new client arrives and Jones has to solve something or whatever.  And then the backstory and main villain would slowly get teased a little each week and then maybe really only get going in season two.

But nope.  They went right into the main attraction.  The problem with this is that both the protagonist or the antagonist are actually completely capable of wiping the other one out pretty easily.  So they have to spend an entire season trying to handicap both sides with cockamamie reasons why they won't just kill each other.  And then complex, harebrained schemes to try and get around their silly handicaps.  And then side characters and main characters acting like idiots so the harebrained schemes unravel.

The last episode was the epitome of this, and bugged me to no end.  I have no idea what either side was hoping to accomplish with their elaborate attack/defense strategies.  They didn't make any sense.  And then they didn't work.  And then people did stupid things. 

And in the end, someone wins in a manner that could have just as easily been accomplished if one side had just texted the other like "Meet me at the 7-11 at 8pm."  And then they just show up, test their powers and loser dies.  That could have happened right at the start of the series or at any time they felt like it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »

Finally finished off Jessica Jones. 

I was thinking it would be more like a noir-ish detective show.  Like every week a new client arrives and Jones has to solve something or whatever.  And then the backstory and main villain would slowly get teased a little each week and then maybe really only get going in season two.

But nope.  They went right into the main attraction.  The problem with this is that both the protagonist or the antagonist are actually completely capable of wiping the other one out pretty easily.  So they have to spend an entire season trying to handicap both sides with cockamamie reasons why they won't just kill each other.  And then complex, harebrained schemes to try and get around their silly handicaps.  And then side characters and main characters acting like idiots so the harebrained schemes unravel.

The last episode was the epitome of this, and bugged me to no end.  I have no idea what either side was hoping to accomplish with their elaborate attack/defense strategies.  They didn't make any sense.  And then they didn't work.  And then people did stupid things. 

And in the end, someone wins in a manner that could have just as easily been accomplished if one side had just texted the other like "Meet me at the 7-11 at 8pm."  And then they just show up, test their powers and loser dies.  That could have happened right at the start of the series or at any time they felt like it.

We just finished Jessica Jones, too. And we agree with your first paragraph, and that is probably what *I* would have wanted and enjoyed the most. The only negative to that approach is that it's a little too formulaic and a little too...I don't know....Burn Notice? Like, it's too simple and lowest common denominator. However, they set it up so that Season 2 will be closer to that if Jones wants it to be. IGH will likely be the main villain, with some conflict coming from other places (Trish's mom? That cop guy?) when needed.

That being said the rest of your criticisms are not wrong, per se, but they don't have any weight. Basically, if they listened to you then there'd be no show. I'd argue that at the beginning of the show Jones was too emotionally wrecked that she couldn't have stood to face him at a 7-11 at 8 pm. The show progressed over about 5-10 months (more or less...based on the weather and the clothing people were wearing) and during this time Jones was learning things and healing and repairing relationships...or destroying them, I suppose. So they needed the whole show to happen before they could have ended it.

To your point, though - I would have appreciated a 10 episode season instead of a 13 episode one which would have cut down on some of that.

And I'm looking forward to Season 2. I used to live in Hell's Kitchen so it's fun to see some of the old 'hood, although much of it is fake. It was funny...one of the later episodes (when she's going to the morgues) showed her and Trish parting ways from wherever in the City they were. The next scene shows the 7 Train and is show from the end of my current subway platform in Queens. So that implies we are in Queens, right? The following scene is Jones going to a building that she thought was a morgue and wasn't...and I knew exactly which building it was because of that massive infrastructure overhead - the Riverside Drive viaduct at approximately 134th St. This, I'll have you note, is in Upper Manhattan and quite far from Queens. So what was the point of the B-roll footage of showing us the 7 Train? Made no sense. They could have just shown us a B-roll of the 1 Train three blocks from there and it would have been quite accurate.

But much of the show was like this - they used a lot of outdoor settings and were in places that they weren't hiding. And while I just pointed out one instance where they messed up, I did notice a LOT of very accurate things. Union Square was extremely well used and well done.  So I'm looking forward to more of that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up