Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fleshtones Announce "Short-But-Sweet Buckeye Tour" for December 2015  (Read 323 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!

Thursday December 3--Happy Dog, Cleveland
Friday December 4--Skully's Music Diner, Columbus
Saturday December 5--Smiling Skull Saloon, Athens

This tour would have been sweeter had a gig been scheduled in the Cincinnati area.  But maybe I can make it to Columbus or Athens.  The Fleshtones are a great live band and anyone who hasn't seen them owes it to himself or herself to catch one of their shows.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

TayFo

• City Elder
Re: The Fleshtones Announce "Short-But-Sweet Buckeye Tour" for December 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »

Sound like a perfect fit for The Woodward.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »

Yes, or a lot of other venues in the area.  They certainly went over well at their co-headlining gig at the SGHR with Los Straitjackets in '13.  A good number of people there were obviously fans of the band. Too bad there isn't a Cincinnati area stop on this mini-tour.

I should mention that the Columbus gig is also a Crazy Mama's reunion event.  Crazy Mama's was a Columbus dance/live gig venue in the '80s, or might have been around even before then.  I wasn't ever there but I heard a lot of good things about it.  In addition to opening acts Screaming Urge (local Columbus band from back in the day) and Th' Flyin' Saucers (not familiar with them), some of the old Crazy Mama's djs will have sets.  There will also be videos and photos from CM's heyday.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »

Yes, or a lot of other venues in the area.  They certainly went over well at their co-headlining gig at the SGHR with Los Straitjackets in '13.  A good number of people there were obviously fans of the band. Too bad there isn't a Cincinnati area stop on this mini-tour.

I should mention that the Columbus gig is also a Crazy Mama's reunion event.  Crazy Mama's was a Columbus dance/live gig venue in the '80s, or might have been around even before then.  I wasn't ever there but I heard a lot of good things about it.  In addition to opening acts Screaming Urge (local Columbus band from back in the day) and Th' Flyin' Saucers (not familiar with them), some of the old Crazy Mama's djs will have sets.  There will also be videos and photos from CM's heyday.

I have just now learned that one of the former Crazy Mamas djs that will be appearing is Tim Anstaett.  Tim is not only a friend of mine but a gigantic figure in the history of the Columbus music scene.  In addition to his dj work, he published The Offense (which later became The Offense Newsletter), a hugely influential fanzine (remember those?) which helped spread the word about a lot of bands very early in their careers:  Joy Division, The Wolfgang Press, Orange Juice, Pixies, Throwing Muses, The Birthday Party, The Fall, and many, many others.  Tim also did a good amount of work as a concert promoter, booking Pixies, Cocteau Twins, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on their first US tours in addition to shows by Throwing Muses, Crime and The City Solution, Section 25,  and quite a few others.  Should be a very entertaining evening.

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:28:23 AM »

Are you locked in for the Columbus show, DJR?
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »

Not yet--I have a family situation which might come first and I'd have to take off work early but I'm going to try to make it.  I just wish the days of the Athens and Columbus shows were reversed.

On edit:  Although Athens might conceivably work...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:06:13 AM by Drjohnrock »

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »

Just found out that my co-worker's band is playing close to home on the 4th so Columbus would be a no-go for me. Not sure on Athens........
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]
Pages: [1]   Go Up