Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2016...  (Read 19341 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
50 Movies in 2016...
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »

here we go again...
Opulence. I has it.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Re: 50 Movies in 2016...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 06:27:57 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● The Wrong Trousers
A house guest had never seen it. I'll always watch it. The bit where Gromit wait for the jammed toast to hit him in the face is one of the best animation sequences ever
2 ● Vacation
This added nothing to the 1983 original. Who the hell greenlights these things?
3 ● Life Stinks
Far from Mel Brooks' finest, but it definitely has its comic moments
4 ● The Irish Pub
This turned up a new addition to AmazonPrime on 1/1. Didn't know it existed, but it turned out to be an utterly delightful little documentary
5 ● Disco: Spinning the Story
One day there will be a great documentary about the evolution of disco. This isn't it that's for curtains
6 ● Fantastic 4
Maybe I should've watched the first three first?
7 ● A LEGO Brickumentary
THIS was awesome!!
8 ● Noah
They got the first two letter of the title right. And Ray Winstone, shame on you!!!
9 ● Swordfish
There are just two good things about this hokey action movie. Halle Berry is responsible for both of them. Which, admittedly, is why I watched it again.
10 ● Rob the Mob
This true story about a more modern-day Bonnie & Ckyde couple who held up known mobster haunts in New York could've been soooo much better with some tighter direction. So many good actors were lost behind a sometimes indecipherable and way too comic handling of the tale. Shame.
11 ● Gone in 60 Seconds
Where my DVD of this? I swear it was here a minute ago.
12 ● Time out of Mind
Richard Gere's name is above the title but the real star of this is the way it's filmed and the brave subject matter. The film follows the mundanity and despair of New York's homeless population and how bureaucracy in wanting to help actually makes it more difficult for the disadvantaged to obtain what they are entitled to. Evocative and scary in equal measure. No-one any kind of a civilized society should have to live this way and yet so very many do.
13 ● Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
Susan George, bless 'er. Worst attempt at an American accent by a British actress EVAH.
14 ● Catwoman
Rewatched by association... I watched Swordfish, reminded of Halle Berry's inate beauty... therefore.... + in leather for the win
15 ● Across the Universe
First time I watched this I dismissed it as bollocks. Nothing's changed but it IS very well-filmed bollocks, beautifully visual. The script is horseshit.
16 ● Notting Hill
Call me a sappy/soppy old cunt but I like this movie
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:46:13 AM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »

Movies seen in 2016 (new movies in bold):
1. A Walk Among The Tombstones

I enjoyed this film a lot because it was a well told comprehensive story. That being stated, it was very tense, very grim, very brutal. Not a single moment of joy or lightheartedness, really, aside from the street kid finding a friend.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »

I enjoyed this film a lot because it was a well told comprehensive story. That being stated, it was very tense, very grim, very brutal. Not a single moment of joy or lightheartedness, really, aside from the street kid finding a friend.

Have you read any of the Scudder books, Dan?  C-Lando and I are both big fans.  If you haven't read the book you definitely benefit from your ignorance of the character.  Neeson was a terrible casting decision.  I can't even bring myself to watch it.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »

It was definitely brutal, like the book. Matt's world is a tough one, for sure. I didn't hate the movie. But, like Kwyji said, the casting was all wrong.

I'd love to have you read some of the books as a resident of New York. I want to take a Scudder walking tour, though most of the places from his world don't really exist in the current city.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:03:05 PM »

1) Sisters

This was really good. I am sucker for Tina and Amy, and they delivered exactly what you would expect. The cast was filled with SNL cast members and alums doing good work. It wasn't ground breaking, but I didn't expect it to be.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »

It was definitely brutal, like the book. Matt's world is a tough one, for sure. I didn't hate the movie. But, like Kwyji said, the casting was all wrong.

I'd love to have you read some of the books as a resident of New York. I want to take a Scudder walking tour, though most of the places from his world don't really exist in the current city.

No, I hadn't read anything so I was completely ignorant. So ignorant, in fact, that I thought it was a movie about Liam Neeson doing "Taken" but in a rural middle-America. (I have no idea how I came to that.)

The NYC stuff was fun, but I'm an ass when I watch movies because I like to point out things that can't be possible (beyond the general suspension of disbelief of the main plot). So like, the final scenes had them in Whitestone. Then he tells the guy to meet him in Green-Wood Cemetery. Okay, but they say to meet at 10:30. I don't know what time it was....but it was dark when he said that. So it's after 5 pm. It's very possible to meet him there at 10:30, but it felt like he was saying, "meet me in an hour." Whitestone and Green-Wood Cemetery ARE NOT CLOSE TO EACH OTHER. I know it's "possible" that this could have happened, but I was visualizing the movie in my head locationally and it wasn't quite working.

Want me to get even nerdier?
Early in the movie he walks out of Green-Wood Cemetery and turns right onto 5th Ave. I paused the scene here...because I saw something incredible. The film takes place in 1999...okay...but the frame I paused it on had a pedestrian signal head (you know...the walk/don't walk fixture) and it also had the parking regulation signage next to it. The Walk/Don't Walk was the correct one from 1999 where it literally says the words DON'T WALK. In 2004-2005ish they changed them all to a figure of a walking person and a hand so that it was more "international" and didn't require a pedestrian to know English to understand. So this pedestrian signal head was accurate! I was like, "did they change the DOT infrastructure to make the movie more realistic for the year? Wow! That's amazing filmmaking! Good for them." But then I realized that the parking regulation signage is the current regulation - they updated those signs in the past two or three years (since I've been working at DOT, anyway) which means that they DIDN'T update the DOT infrastructure for accuracy. So now I don't know - do you think their location scouts and set designers knew enough about the signal heads that they modified them, but didn't know enough about parking regulations? It's possible... or it's possible that they got lucky because that signal head is probably a rarity and probably really exists? And now I want to take a field trip to go to that location to see it like a nerd.

Or.... who cares?

This is what it's like to watch a movie with me. :) :) :)  My wife loved me considerably less than usual at this moment in the movie. Hahaha.

Lando - aren't you SO EXCITED to come to a NYC movie screening sometime with me?!?
:-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:29:11 PM by Dan »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »

Wait...maybe they DID update the signal infrastructure!

This is likely the location...
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6591814,-73.995675,3a,75y,131.38h,81.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szPE8RfrWdxnUwyZp-mL41g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I don't see any other spots where Scudder could have walked out of the Cemetery and turned right onto 5th Ave. And this does have the current and correct signal head.

Good for them!

(I'm the best, aren't I?)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »

That is crazy-go-nuts that they would have bothered with the crosswalk signals.  I'm surprised that they would go to such a length for something literally only a few would notice.

So what confuses me is that it was set in 1999.  The book was published in 1992 so it should have been set then, or earlier.  Why change the time setting? 

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 02:51:22 PM »

Truthfully, the WALK/DON'T WALK signal change was probably a simple CGI fix.  I doubt they actually erected the correct sign and then changed it back.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »

Even still, not sure why they'd bother.  I doubt many people even realize they were changed.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:30 AM »

Wait...maybe they DID update the signal infrastructure!

This is likely the location...
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6591814,-73.995675,3a,75y,131.38h,81.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szPE8RfrWdxnUwyZp-mL41g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I don't see any other spots where Scudder could have walked out of the Cemetery and turned right onto 5th Ave. And this does have the current and correct signal head.

Good for them!

(I'm the best, aren't I?)
I dig it. I like that you pay attention to this kind of detail. It's what my best friend does when she watches movies too.

I think they used cell phones in the movie, Kwyjibo. So, maybe that's one reason they switched to 1999 instead of 1992.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »

1. THE HATEFUL 8 – 01/01/16 – AMC Pkwy Pointe – The Tarantino movie for which I have been waiting. I loved it and can’t wait to see it again (in 70MM hopefully).
2. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY – 01/02/16 – cable – Never read the books. It was fine enough as a movie to pass some time. Can’t see why anyone would ever fall in love with these characters. But, it wasn’t mind numbingly awful either.
3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.
4. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD – 01/04/16 – cable – I’ve never read this Thomas Hardy book but I enjoyed the film adaptation. There is one of the worst animal death scenes that I have ever seen on film in the first 10 minutes. EEK. But, I reminded myself that it was just a movie and focused on the pretty suitors instead. Brand new lady b0ne for Matthias Schoenarts.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »

3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.

And while I had an icee (I HAD to!) I managed to not slurp during quiet, introspective scenes! Go, me! :) (Lando will continue to see movies with me, I hope!)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »

1. The Abominable Bride- Banter! Martin Freeman! Benderpants Cumbersnoodle! It made me happy, while it was not perfect, I had no problem with it.
2. Sisters- I laughed, a whole lot. And John Cena is now in the list of "Oh, he's in that movie? Maybe I will see it" because he stole every scene he's in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Up