Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2016...  (Read 17305 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2016...
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 12:58:51 PM »

1. THE HATEFUL 8 – 01/01/16 – AMC Pkwy Pointe – The Tarantino movie for which I have been waiting. I loved it and can’t wait to see it again (in 70MM hopefully).
2. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY – 01/02/16 – cable – Never read the books. It was fine enough as a movie to pass some time. Can’t see why anyone would ever fall in love with these characters. But, it wasn’t mind numbingly awful either.
3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.
4. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD – 01/04/16 – cable – I’ve never read this Thomas Hardy book but I enjoyed the film adaptation. There is one of the worst animal death scenes that I have ever seen on film in the first 10 minutes. EEK. But, I reminded myself that it was just a movie and focused on the pretty suitors instead. Brand new lady b0ne for Matthias Schoenarts.
5. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE - 01/09/16 - Netflix - Has there ever been a more annoying cry baby man child on the big screen than Liberty Valance?
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 11:50:13 AM »

1. Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - 8

2. Foxcatcher - 6

Just felt like something was missing.  Maybe it was the source of DuPont's madness... he was clearly off, but not in a way that made any kind of sense.  Maybe that was the point, but it didn't make for a satisfying narrative.

3. Big Hero 6 - 8

Solid, funny.  Cloying at times, but definitely worth 90 minutes.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 08:27:14 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● The Wrong Trousers
2 ● Vacation
3 ● Life Stinks
4 ● The Irish Pub
5 ● Disco: Spinning the Story
6 ● Fantastic 4
7 ● A LEGO Brickumentary
8 ● Noah
9 ● Swordfish
10 ● Rob the Mob
11 ● Gone in 60 Seconds
12 ● Time out of Mind
13 ● Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
14 ● Catwoman
15 ● Across the Universe
16 ● Notting Hill
17 ● Wild Card
18 ● Ex Machina
19 ● The Words
20 ● Sicario
21 ● Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
22 ● Ted 2
23 ● Calendar Girls
adding
24 ● Inside Out
WHAT a great little movie. It blew us away with how incredibly clever it was. So well scripted and played out from beginning to end. Laughed out loud soooooo many times. Without kids of our own I can't imagine for one little minute how it plays for children, but for grown-ups its fabulous.
25 ● V for Vendetta
First time on BluRay and not disappointed. Overtime I watch this I think "yep, England's getting closer and closer to this".
26 ● Experimenter
Based on the life of Stanley Milgram, supposedly one of the premier social psychologists America has ever produced. He became notorious for an obedience experiment where increasingly more powerful electrical shocks were given to subjects who answered a series of questions incorrectly. Sort of. With sequences breaking the fourth wall and terrible green screen backdrops worthy of a 40 year-old episode of Columbo this wordily plodded its way to a conclusion that was supposed to be some kind of metaphor for all that had gone before. I couldn't wait to hit the 'stop button' expecting the 450v shock Milgram's torture victims 'received' for having put up with the full 90 minutes of preceding movie bollocks. Meh.
27 ● The Abominable Bride
I've loved the Beeb's reincarnation of Sherlock. Until this, which I felt was a terrible mis-step. Felt way too forced IMHO
28 ● Butterfly
When I worked in video - running a chain of 11 stores - this was a "constant complaint" rental. Meaning the men who rented it complained they never got to see enough of Pia Zadora and felt 'duped'. I never forgot that. Amazon recently added it to their Prime offerings and I thought I would watch it again for shits and giggles. I feel 'duped'! (It really is a trashy bad movie. Poor old Stacy Keach and his wonky lip gives it his all but its wasted in the face of such bad acting everywhere else.)
29 ● Blow Out
I remembered this as a tense thriller. Years later I accept it was pants with a TERRIBLE (and now very dated) soundtrack and hammy acting, Nancy Allen especially
30 ● Mistress America
The (weakened) spirit of Woody Allen lives on in this dreary yawnfest about two women taking on their combined neuroses and New York
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:36:26 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »

20 ● Sicario
Good, not great. Some nice performances. I thought the third act dragged a little and seemed to wind the tension down
belated question.... I assume you saw this on your TV, be it DVD or NetFlix?

I'm asking because I'm a bit surprised you find this "good, not great". For me it was the BEST movie of 2015, but I saw it (twice, no less) on the big screen. I wonder if some of the movie's luster is lost on the small screen. I was absolutely mesmerized by the film's tense moments, from the get-go. The long sequence where the team goes into Mexico to pick up the drug dealer and then makes it back to the US pretty early on in the movie just floored me. After I saw this movie the first time, I asked myself, was this really this good as I thought it was? Then I went to see it again, and yes, it WAS that good. Although I admit that the movie loses some towards the end, but nevermind, this was the best movie for me in 2015.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 07:21:17 PM »

1- muscle shoals
2- blue ruin
3- exit through the gift shop

4- glengary glen ross- possibly my favorite pacino character.  kevin spacey was great.  i wasn't sure who to feel more sorry for in the film, the people getting duped out of money or the shitty job those folks had
5- take shelter- you knew that end was coming.  damn you were strung along. 
6- hoffa- jack was fantastic!  i haven't seen any actual jimmy hoffa footage, but you can definitely feel him portraying him.  i'm not a union sympathizer, but i can understand the motivations for them back then.  perfect anti-hero
poach eggs, not elephants

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:06 PM »

20 ● Sicario
Good, not great. Some nice performances. I thought the third act dragged a little and seemed to wind the tension down
belated question.... I assume you saw this on your TV, be it DVD or NetFlix?

I'm asking because I'm a bit surprised you find this "good, not great". For me it was the BEST movie of 2015, but I saw it (twice, no less) on the big screen. I wonder if some of the movie's luster is lost on the small screen. I was absolutely mesmerized by the film's tense moments, from the get-go. The long sequence where the team goes into Mexico to pick up the drug dealer and then makes it back to the US pretty early on in the movie just floored me. After I saw this movie the first time, I asked myself, was this really this good as I thought it was? Then I went to see it again, and yes, it WAS that good. Although I admit that the movie loses some towards the end, but nevermind, this was the best movie for me in 2015.
Yes, DVD from the library.

Sorry, didn't hit me with anything like the same degree it did you Euro. Yes, agree, tense. But that third act was like a popped balloon after the first two and felt a massive letdown.
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 08:17:59 AM »

1. THE HATEFUL 8 – 01/01/16 – AMC Pkwy Pointe – The Tarantino movie for which I have been waiting. I loved it and can’t wait to see it again (in 70MM hopefully).
2. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY – 01/02/16 – cable – Never read the books. It was fine enough as a movie to pass some time. Can’t see why anyone would ever fall in love with these characters. But, it wasn’t mind numbingly awful either.
3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.
4. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD – 01/04/16 – cable – I’ve never read this Thomas Hardy book but I enjoyed the film adaptation. There is one of the worst animal death scenes that I have ever seen on film in the first 10 minutes. EEK. But, I reminded myself that it was just a movie and focused on the pretty suitors instead. Brand new lady b0ne for Matthias Schoenarts.
5. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE - 01/09/16 - Netflix - Has there ever been a more annoying cry baby man child on the big screen than Liberty Valance?
6. SPOTLIGHT - 01/16/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I enjoyed Keaton and Ruffalo. Didn't have the ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN vibe that I was hoping for.
7. THE MECHANIC - 01/17/16 - MGM channel - The one with Charlie Bronson and Jan Michael Vincent. Great beginning and ending. Some good stuff in the middle. The soundtrack, cars, and decor are SOOOOOOOOOO early 70s.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »

New to me in bold.

1. Hateful 8
2. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

3. The Abominable Bride

4. Tomorrowland

5. Spy - God damn is Melissa McCarthy funny.  We laughed like idiots all the way through.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »

5. Spy - God damn is Melissa McCarthy funny.  We laughed like idiots all the way through.
Agree. I loved how Jason Statham sent himself up too.
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 06:37:16 PM »

Movies seen in 2016 (new movies in bold):
1. A Walk Among The Tombstones
2. Sicario

3. Die Hard

RIP Alan Rickman. You were excellent.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 07:20:36 AM »

1. Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - 8
2. Foxcatcher - 6
3. Big Hero 6 - 8

4. Two Days, One Night - 7

Marion Cotillard is amazing in this.  The story almost writes itself, to be honest... if you are going to watch, watch for the gamut of emotions that she has to run through in the course of the film.  It's quite something.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 11:14:10 AM »

1. The Abominable Bride- Banter! Martin Freeman! Benderpants Cumbersnoodle! It made me happy, while it was not perfect, I had no problem with it.
2. Sisters- I laughed, a whole lot. And John Cena is now in the list of "Oh, he's in that movie? Maybe I will see it" because he stole every scene he's in.
3. Zoolander- this is still so funny. I remember seeing it in the theater with Ella, and we were almost the only ones there- noone else I knew liked it or was interested in it.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● The Wrong Trousers
2 ● Vacation
3 ● Life Stinks
4 ● The Irish Pub
5 ● Disco: Spinning the Story
6 ● Fantastic 4
7 ● A LEGO Brickumentary
8 ● Noah
9 ● Swordfish
10 ● Rob the Mob
11 ● Gone in 60 Seconds
12 ● Time out of Mind
13 ● Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
14 ● Catwoman
15 ● Across the Universe
16 ● Notting Hill
17 ● Wild Card
18 ● Ex Machina
19 ● The Words
20 ● Sicario
21 ● Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
22 ● Ted 2
23 ● Calendar Girls
24 ● Inside Out
25 ● V for Vendetta
26 ● Experimenter
27 ● The Abominable Bride
28 ● Butterfly
29 ● Blow Out
30 ● Mistress America
adding
31 ● Minions
I really enjoyed this. Good silly animated FUN. Biased of course about the sequences in England but there was some fantastic piss taken without many people probably realising. I may watch it again with subtitles, just for shits & giggles
32 ● Sleeping with Other People
RrrrrrrrromCom personified. "You've Got Mail" for the modern-day orgasm and masturbation set.
33 ● Adult Beginners
Asshole loses job. Moves in with with sister. Slowly stops being an asshole
34 ● The Martian
Great movie. Far more enjoyable than I imagined it might be (Maaaaattttt Daaaaamonnnnn). Great script, under-the-top CGI and fine performances all round. Loved it.
35 ● Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
This didn't tell me much more than I already learned from my school chum John Sweeney's book on Scientology and it's apparent 'evil'. Certainly not the "oscar winning" documentary a lot of people were tagging it as.
36 ● The Prestige
I watched this again mainly for Bowie's turn as Tesla. However, I'd forgotten just HPW well filmed the entire thing is. Beautiful staging sets and lighting.
37 ● Tokyo Fiancée
Amelie meets Lost in Translation. Not as engaging as the former, but engaging, yes. Not as colourful as the latter, but colorful, yes.
38 ● Snowpiercer
Blu-Ray rewatch. Still concerned about the Max Headroom ending
39 ● Amy
A tragic documentary where you want to shout at people on the screen for enabling and creating her untimely demise. Her boyfriend Blake was a cunt, her Dad was a cunt, the paparazzi were cunts and the shitty music industry pretty much just chewed her up and spat her out
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:40:32 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »

I've decided to use the Bechdel Test this year as part of my reviews. The test requires two named female characters to have a conversation about something other than a man. It's evidently harder than you'd think. I'm not going out of my way to do feminist-only films or anything, just watching as I normally do (blockbusters, rom coms, dramas, etc) Bechdel will be indicated with B=Y or N.
1. The Abominable Bride- Banter! Martin Freeman! Benderpants Cumbersnoodle! It made me happy, while it was not perfect, I had no problem with it. (B=N)
2. Sisters- I laughed, a whole lot. And John Cena is now in the list of "Oh, he's in that movie? Maybe I will see it" because he stole every scene he's in. (B=Y- it better!)
3. Zoolander- this is still so funny. I remember seeing it in the theater with Ella, and we were almost the only ones there- noone else I knew liked it or was interested in it. (B=Y)

4. Galaxy Quest- Alan Rickman! Sob! Such a good movie. (B=N)
5. The Right Kind of Wrong- Netflix. Watched purely because of Ryan Kwanten. He needs a better agent. (B=N)
6. An Ideal Husband- Oscar Wilde was a brilliant writer who's words still hold up 100 years later (B= Y)
7. Clear and Present Danger- Meh. It's a bit dated at this point. (B= N)
8. Save the Date Lizzy Caplan, Allison Brie are the main characters, and sisters! And they barely have a conversation not about Lizzy's relationship status. I talk to both of my sisters about many things besides men. Booo! This could have been a much better movie, but it was way too Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Needed a better script. B=Y, but barely.
9. Ant Man Part of the Marvel machine. Was not as fun as Guardians of the Galaxy. Really pissed off at how Judy Greer's character was non-existent in the movie. She was Rudd's ex-wife! Primary caretaker for his son, and doesn't have the conversations about his parenting with him? Grr. B=N
10. American Ultra - started off fun, then became predictable. Connie Britton's hair is still amazing. B=N
11. Centurion 2010 Michael Fassbender movie, where he is a Roman Centurion. Meh. One of the 3 women in the film had had her tongue cut out, so she definitely couldn't talk to anyone! Also, classic use of the rape of a woman to motivate the actions of the men in the movie. Would have been a better movie if it had been about her getting revenge, or something, but nope, she was just a tool. B=N
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:50:38 PM by va-vacious »

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 09:28:54 AM »

I've decided to use the Bechdel Test this year as part of my reviews. The test requires two named female characters to have a conversation about something other than a man. It's evidently harder than you'd think. I'm not going out of my way to do feminist-only films or anything, just watching as I normally do (blockbusters, rom coms, dramas, etc) Bechdel will be indicated with B=Y or N.
Nice. I like this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31   Go Up