Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2016...  (Read 24151 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2016...
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »

1. THE HATEFUL 8 – 01/01/16 – AMC Pkwy Pointe – The Tarantino movie for which I have been waiting. I loved it and can’t wait to see it again (in 70MM hopefully).
2. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY – 01/02/16 – cable – Never read the books. It was fine enough as a movie to pass some time. Can’t see why anyone would ever fall in love with these characters. But, it wasn’t mind numbingly awful either.
3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.
4. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD – 01/04/16 – cable – I’ve never read this Thomas Hardy book but I enjoyed the film adaptation. There is one of the worst animal death scenes that I have ever seen on film in the first 10 minutes. EEK. But, I reminded myself that it was just a movie and focused on the pretty suitors instead. Brand new lady b0ne for Matthias Schoenarts.
5. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE - 01/09/16 - Netflix - Has there ever been a more annoying cry baby man child on the big screen than Liberty Valance?
6. SPOTLIGHT - 01/16/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I enjoyed Keaton and Ruffalo. Didn't have the ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN vibe that I was hoping for.
7. THE MECHANIC - 01/17/16 - MGM channel - The one with Charlie Bronson and Jan Michael Vincent. Great beginning and ending. Some good stuff in the middle. The soundtrack, cars, and decor are SOOOOOOOOOO early 70s.
8. THE REVENANT - 01/23/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - A beautiful movie. I'll never look at trees the same way again.
9. ENTOURAGE - 01/23/16 - HBO - So at the complete opposite side of the "artsy" scale we have this movie, which is about what you would expect from an ENTOURAGE movie. The Thierry Henry cameo was funny (all .5 seconds of it).
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 11:04:04 AM »

Nice. I like this.

Thanks! It was Ant-Man that pushed me over the edge, believe it or not. Multiple scenes where Paul Rudd's character is talking about his child's welfare, and does not speak to the mother, but to the mom's boyfriend. 5 female characters in the whole movie, one of whom is a child. Two are flashback only, and the other two have no screen time together. You couldn't get a henchwoman?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 04:21:01 PM »

I'm finally catching up on what I've seen so far this year... (Bold seen in theaters)

1. The Hateful Eight - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Sisters - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
3. The Danish Girl - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
4. Point Break - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
5. Cape Fear (1962) - TCM
6. Lamb - AMC Newport on the Levee
7. The Odd Couple (1968) - TCM
8. The Long, Long Trailer (1953) - TCM
9. The Revenant - Cinemark Oakley
10. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Sounder (1969) - TCM
12. Mustang - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
13. The Caine Mutiny (1954) - TCM
14. Anomalisa - Esquire Theater
15. The More, The Merrier (1943) - TCM

The Hateful Eight (easily Tarantino's weakest film to date) and The Danish Girl were big disappointments.

Mustang, from Turkey, just won a Best Foreign Language Movie Oscar nomination. The movie will break your heart. Think the Virgin Suicides a la turkoise.

The Revenant is best enjoyed if you don't think too much about it (DiCaprio barely survives the grizzly attack--incidentally the best scene of the movie, and is without food, water, medicine or shelter in freezing conditions, yet lives, and even walks within days).

13 Hours, from director Michael "Transformers" Bay, is surprisingly strong. If you liked American Sniper, this one's for you. The inaptitude of the CIA Chief in Benghazi is revolting.

Anomalisa is the latest from Charlie Kaufman. Need more be said? Just go see it already and enjoy the one-of-a-kind weirdness/utter brilliance that is Kaufman. The big surprise is that the movie takes place in Cincinnati and has tons of Cincinnati references (down to Cincinnati chili).

January is the best month to watch Turner Classic Movies, with emphasis on Oscar-nominated or winning movies from yesteryear. I had never seen the Caine Mutiny (starring Humphrey Bogart), or the original Cape Fear. Love them oldies.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »

1. Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - 8
2. Foxcatcher - 6
3. Big Hero 6 - 8
4. Two Days, One Night - 7

5. Creep - 7

If you are into being unsettled in your horror films, like creeped out instead of just scared, this works nicely.  There are too many cheap jump scares, but overall the creepiness oozes from every frame of this thanks to a nice turn from Mark Duplass, who produced the film.

6. For Your Consideration - 6

The only film from the Christopher Guest oeuvre that I had missed up to this point, this was more touching and sad than funny.  Though every single time Fred Willard is on screen, you are guaranteed a chuckle.

7. The Martian - 7

This being like one of the 3 books I've read in the past 10 years, it suffered from actually figuring out how to be less suspenseful than the book.  Likely because some of the suspense came from the "sciencing the shit out of this" situations that Mark Watney was placed in.  You couldn't get too science-heavy in the film unless you want to put everyone to sleep.  So rather than do that, we had a lot of back and forth hand wringing from NASA, Watney himself, and the rest of the crew which all plays on screen OK... but somehow less interestingly than the page.  Also, the Mars presented here just seemed slightly desert-y and not all that alien.  That said, I enjoyed it overall and am glad they didn't go too serious with it.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »

1. Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - 8
2. Foxcatcher - 6
3. Big Hero 6 - 8
4. Two Days, One Night - 7
5. Creep - 7
6. For Your Consideration - 6
7. The Martian - 7

8. Kingsman: The Secret Service - 9

Lived up to the considerable hype I had built for it in my head.  Two scenes especially... the reveal of what the "evil plot" is at the church, and the total chip activation of all of the Valentine sympathizers... those pushed it into top notch territory.  Maybe a little too meta for its own good at times, but overall it was a new and modern spy franchise built out of, what in Matthew Vaughn's and a great cast's hands, strayed away from being too tired to work properly.  I watched it with a room full of people who couldn't have cared less about it (my wife and two sons), and by the end they were all rather interested in it as well.

9. Room - 10

Left thinking, "what movie am I going to see that knocks its subject out of the park quite like this one?"  The answer is none.  A masterful stroke in telling the story from the perspective of the 5 year old child in the film, ROOM teeters on the edge of melodrama but remains believable largely thanks to the performances of Brie Larson, Joan Allen, and the little boy.  I was moved to tears multiple times, which doesn't happen every day ESPECIALLY in movies that are trying for moving, emotional scenes.  It's a tribute to Lenny Abrahamson that the film works as well as it does, as chock full of emotion as it is.  The emotion never overwhelms the movie, and it strikes a balance between hopeful and melancholy that few films can achieve.  Not to mention the story of the 5 year old's development, which continues on whether he's going through an ordeal or not.

If you never watched Abrahamson's FRANK, I found that to be one of the best movies of 2014... and it is certainly the best movie that will ever be made about a singer who wears a false head.  It's a must watch, as is this.  Abrahamson is on a roll, as is Brie Larson.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2016, 12:09:18 PM »

8. Kingsman: The Secret Service - 9

Lived up to the considerable hype I had built for it in my head.  Two scenes especially... the reveal of what the "evil plot" is at the church, and the total chip activation of all of the Valentine sympathizers... those pushed it into top notch territory.  Maybe a little too meta for its own good at times, but overall it was a new and modern spy franchise built out of, what in Matthew Vaughn's and a great cast's hands, strayed away from being too tired to work properly.  I watched it with a room full of people who couldn't have cared less about it (my wife and two sons), and by the end they were all rather interested in it as well.

Excellent! I re-watched it last week as I turned it on right at the church scene and made my wife watch that scene. It's so fabulous. And then I made her watch the chip activation scene as well. And then also the princess scenes, too! Hah. I really like that film and will always think fondly of it. I love the Matthew Vaughan quote that I read somewhere where he said, "People ask me 'what is Kingsmen?' and I tell them, 'It's my senior thesis!" I like that he went out and made the film that he'd always wanted to make.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2016, 12:11:09 PM »

Movies seen in 2016 (new movies in bold):
1. A Walk Among The Tombstones
2. Sicario

3. Die Hard
4. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Watched UNCLE on a plane so I only processed some of it but I enjoyed the film thoroughly. Well done r-villians who recommended it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2016, 12:54:35 PM »

1. THE HATEFUL 8 – 01/01/16 – AMC Pkwy Pointe – The Tarantino movie for which I have been waiting. I loved it and can’t wait to see it again (in 70MM hopefully).
2. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY – 01/02/16 – cable – Never read the books. It was fine enough as a movie to pass some time. Can’t see why anyone would ever fall in love with these characters. But, it wasn’t mind numbingly awful either.
3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.
4. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD – 01/04/16 – cable – I’ve never read this Thomas Hardy book but I enjoyed the film adaptation. There is one of the worst animal death scenes that I have ever seen on film in the first 10 minutes. EEK. But, I reminded myself that it was just a movie and focused on the pretty suitors instead. Brand new lady b0ne for Matthias Schoenarts.
5. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE - 01/09/16 - Netflix - Has there ever been a more annoying cry baby man child on the big screen than Liberty Valance?
6. SPOTLIGHT - 01/16/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I enjoyed Keaton and Ruffalo. Didn't have the ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN vibe that I was hoping for.
7. THE MECHANIC - 01/17/16 - MGM channel - The one with Charlie Bronson and Jan Michael Vincent. Great beginning and ending. Some good stuff in the middle. The soundtrack, cars, and decor are SOOOOOOOOOO early 70s.
8. THE REVENANT - 01/23/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - A beautiful movie. I'll never look at trees the same way again.
9. ENTOURAGE - 01/23/16 - HBO - So at the complete opposite side of the "artsy" scale we have this movie, which is about what you would expect from an ENTOURAGE movie. The Thierry Henry cameo was funny (all .5 seconds of it).
10. THE DUFF - 01/30/16 - dvd from library - This was fun. Better than I thought it was going to be. Also, it was filmed here in Atlanta and I had no clue. Mae Whitman is the cutest.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● The Wrong Trousers
2 ● Vacation
3 ● Life Stinks
4 ● The Irish Pub
5 ● Disco: Spinning the Story
6 ● Fantastic 4
7 ● A LEGO Brickumentary
8 ● Noah
9 ● Swordfish
10 ● Rob the Mob
11 ● Gone in 60 Seconds
12 ● Time out of Mind
13 ● Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
14 ● Catwoman
15 ● Across the Universe
16 ● Notting Hill
17 ● Wild Card
18 ● Ex Machina
19 ● The Words
20 ● Sicario
21 ● Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
22 ● Ted 2
23 ● Calendar Girls
24 ● Inside Out
25 ● V for Vendetta
26 ● Experimenter
27 ● The Abominable Bride
28 ● Butterfly
29 ● Blow Out
30 ● Mistress America
31 ● Minions
32 ● Sleeping with Other People
33 ● Adult Beginners
34 ● The Martian
35 ● Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
36 ● The Prestige
37 ● Tokyo Fiancée
38 ● Snowpiercer
39 ● Amy
adding
40 ● Mr Holmes
Enoyable period romp. McKellan is wonderful. No sign of Benilyn Thundercrackers.
41 ● Ricki and the Flash
Meryl's other Mamma Mia moment. Meh!
42 ● Margarita, with a Straw
Wonderfully humbling movie about a girl with cerebral palsy and her coming of age in the face of family tradition
43 ● The Intern
DeNiro phones it in again. Pleasant story, nicely told - excepting one ludicrous and unnecessary 'house break in' aside which fucked up the flow of everything.
44 ● No Escape
Pierce Brosnan good. Owen Wilson bad. Concept good. Execution bad. Where's Dolph Lundgren when you need him?
45 ● Heist
DeNiro sends it in by text. Speed meets Oceans11 meets Jerry Lewis
46 ● The Forger
Travolta is about as believable as a forger as I am a track star
47 ● A Walk in the Woods
Redford is good as Bill Bryson in this adaptation of his Appalachian Trail book, but Nolte is better.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:51:31 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2016, 02:55:10 PM »

10. THE DUFF - 01/30/16 - dvd from library - This was fun. Better than I thought it was going to be. Also, it was filmed here in Atlanta and I had no clue. Mae Whitman is the cutest.

Her?

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »

Her?
It's as Ann as the nose on plain's face.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2016, 08:15:55 PM »

I love this movie! I bought it, if you ever want to borrow it. Not enough special features, though. I thought there would be more outtakes than they had.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2016, 09:20:56 PM »

Did you read the book?
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 12:50:20 PM »

Did you read the book?

I did! I quite liked it, too, though it is very different than the movie. I ended up reading more of Keplinger's stuff, which is a little hit and miss, but I think she gets that teenagers are complex and mercurial.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »

Did you read the book?

I did! I quite liked it, too, though it is very different than the movie. I ended up reading more of Keplinger's stuff, which is a little hit and miss, but I think she gets that teenagers are complex and mercurial.
I didn't know it was based on a book until 2 days before I borrowed it from the library. So, nope. Didn't read the book, but finally figured out that a book was the source material for the movie.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31   Go Up