Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2016...  (Read 29176 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: 50 Movies in 2016...
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »

You should read the book - it's an easy read. I have it on Kindle, if there is some way I can loan it to you. (I think I can?)

She has another one based on Lysistrata (SP?) and set in High School.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »

1. The Hateful Eight - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Sisters - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
3. The Danish Girl - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
4. Point Break - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
5. Cape Fear (1962) - TCM
6. Lamb - AMC Newport on the Levee
7. The Odd Couple (1968) - TCM
8. The Long, Long Trailer (1953) - TCM
9. The Revenant - Cinemark Oakley
10. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Sounder (1969) - TCM
12. Mustang - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
13. The Caine Mutiny (1954) - TCM
14. Anomalisa - Esquire Theater
15. The More, The Merrier (1943) - TCM
Updating the last couple of weeks (bold seen in the theater)

16. Theeb - Esquire Theater
17. The Finest Hours - Cinemark Oakley
18. Hearts and Minds (1974) - TCM
19. In the Courtyard (France 2015) - DVD
20. A Nun's Story (1959) - TCM
21. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) - TCM
22. The Pope's Toilet (Colombia 2007) - DVD
23. And The Oscar Goes To... - TCM
24. Carol - Esquire Theater

Theeb is one of the 5 Oscar-nominated foreign films. It's essentially a western, Jordanian-style. Great little movie, and shot with mostly with non-professional actors from nomad tribes in Jordan.

Hearts and Minds is a fascinating documentary about the Vietnam War, shot in 1973-74, meaning before the end of the war. Well worth checking out.

I hadn't seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in forever. Hasn't aged all that well IMHO...

And The Oscar Goes To... is a documentary about the Oscars. Did you know that the reason the Academy was founded had nothing to do with handing out awards? (The Academy was founded to counter the threat of the unions taking over Hollywood. That didn't work out so well. So the Academy invented the Oscars as a new raison d'être.)

I just had to see Carol again before it left the theaters. Fabulous movie.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2016, 10:49:54 PM »

I did! I quite liked it, too, though it is very different than the movie. I ended up reading more of Keplinger's stuff, which is a little hit and miss, but I think she gets that teenagers are complex and mercurial.
I borrowed the movie last week, but still haven't watched it.  I remember when the trailers started showing up on TV before the movie was released and wasn't quite sure how well the book would translate into a movie.  So it'll be interesting I'm sure to see how much is different.  Different is not always a good thing...while I like the Princess Diaries, I still get mad about all the unnecessary (IMO) changes they made in the movie. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2016, 11:01:33 PM »

Some of the storylines in the book are totally trunkated (or missing), andthe friendship between the girls is muted, which is a real shame. The movie could have broken new ground (in terms of teen movies) if they had addressed that part, too.

It's not the same, but it still works. I'd like to hear what you think of it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2016, 08:32:32 AM »

You should read the book - it's an easy read. I have it on Kindle, if there is some way I can loan it to you. (I think I can?)

She has another one based on Lysistrata (SP?) and set in High School.
I can get it from Cobb County when I'm ready. I have 5 books on my plate right now. I'll probably actually read two of them. HA.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »

Movies seen in 2016 (new movies in bold):
1. A Walk Among The Tombstones
2. Sicario

3. Die Hard
4. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
5. Brian's Song

I had no idea Billy Dee Williams was ever so young! And how come James Caan looked about 10 years older than he should have? Was he always a grizzled late 30's something?

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2016, 09:15:43 AM »

And how come James Caan looked about 10 years older than he should have? Was he always a grizzled late 30's something?
THE GODFATHER says "Yes".

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »

1. THE HATEFUL 8 – 01/01/16 – AMC Pkwy Pointe – The Tarantino movie for which I have been waiting. I loved it and can’t wait to see it again (in 70MM hopefully).
2. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY – 01/02/16 – cable – Never read the books. It was fine enough as a movie to pass some time. Can’t see why anyone would ever fall in love with these characters. But, it wasn’t mind numbingly awful either.
3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.
4. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD – 01/04/16 – cable – I’ve never read this Thomas Hardy book but I enjoyed the film adaptation. There is one of the worst animal death scenes that I have ever seen on film in the first 10 minutes. EEK. But, I reminded myself that it was just a movie and focused on the pretty suitors instead. Brand new lady b0ne for Matthias Schoenarts.
5. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE - 01/09/16 - Netflix - Has there ever been a more annoying cry baby man child on the big screen than Liberty Valance?
6. SPOTLIGHT - 01/16/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I enjoyed Keaton and Ruffalo. Didn't have the ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN vibe that I was hoping for.
7. THE MECHANIC - 01/17/16 - MGM channel - The one with Charlie Bronson and Jan Michael Vincent. Great beginning and ending. Some good stuff in the middle. The soundtrack, cars, and decor are SOOOOOOOOOO early 70s.
8. THE REVENANT - 01/23/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - A beautiful movie. I'll never look at trees the same way again.
9. ENTOURAGE - 01/23/16 - HBO - So at the complete opposite side of the "artsy" scale we have this movie, which is about what you would expect from an ENTOURAGE movie. The Thierry Henry cameo was funny (all .5 seconds of it).
10. THE DUFF - 01/30/16 - dvd from library - This was fun. Better than I thought it was going to be. Also, it was filmed here in Atlanta and I had no clue. Mae Whitman is the cutest.
11. ANOMALISA - 02/04/16 - AMC Barrett Commons 24 - It's like you've heard. A very human film made with puppets. And just a reminder, humans are strange assholes (except for the humans who took the time to make this world so realistic).

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2016, 09:26:58 AM »

11. ANOMALISA - 02/04/16 - AMC Barrett Commons 24 - It's like you've heard. A very human film made with puppets. And just a reminder, humans are strange assholes (except for the humans who took the time to make this world so realistic).
c-lando, after seeing the movie, I was astonished to find out the buzz on the internets about what 'really' happened between Michael and Lisa:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401878/board/nest/252282792?ref_=tt_bd_1

The thought hadn't even entered my mind.

(Spoiler alert: for those that haven't seen it yet and plan to, do not go to this link)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »

(Spoiler alert: for those that haven't seen it yet and plan to, do not go to this link)

c-lando, after seeing the movie, I was astonished to find out the buzz on the internets about what 'really' happened between Michael and Lisa:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401878/board/nest/252282792?ref_=tt_bd_1

The thought hadn't even entered my mind.

Didn't cross mine either, especially after hearing it referred to as a tender moment between the two on both Marc Maron's podcast and Charlie & Duke's episode of Fresh Air with Terry Gross.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »

I've decided to use the Bechdel Test this year as part of my reviews. The test requires two named female characters to have a conversation about something other than a man. It's evidently harder than you'd think. I'm not going out of my way to do feminist-only films or anything, just watching as I normally do (blockbusters, rom coms, dramas, etc) Bechdel will be indicated with B=Y or N.
1. The Abominable Bride- Banter! Martin Freeman! Benderpants Cumbersnoodle! It made me happy, while it was not perfect, I had no problem with it. (B=N)
2. Sisters- I laughed, a whole lot. And John Cena is now in the list of "Oh, he's in that movie? Maybe I will see it" because he stole every scene he's in. (B=Y- it better!)
3. Zoolander- this is still so funny. I remember seeing it in the theater with Ella, and we were almost the only ones there- noone else I knew liked it or was interested in it. (B=Y)
4. Galaxy Quest- Alan Rickman! Sob! Such a good movie. (B=N)
5. The Right Kind of Wrong- Netflix. Watched purely because of Ryan Kwanten. He needs a better agent. (B=N)
6. An Ideal Husband- Oscar Wilde was a brilliant writer who's words still hold up 100 years later (B= Y)
7. Clear and Present Danger- Meh. It's a bit dated at this point. (B= N)
8. Save the Date Lizzy Caplan, Allison Brie are the main characters, and sisters! And they barely have a conversation not about Lizzy's relationship status. I talk to both of my sisters about many things besides men. Booo! This could have been a much better movie, but it was way too Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Needed a better script. B=Y, but barely.
9. Ant Man Part of the Marvel machine. Was not as fun as Guardians of the Galaxy. Really pissed off at how Judy Greer's character was non-existent in the movie. She was Rudd's ex-wife! Primary caretaker for his son, and doesn't have the conversations about his parenting with him? Grr. B=N
10. American Ultra - started off fun, then became predictable. Connie Britton's hair is still amazing. B=N
11. Centurion 2010 Michael Fassbender movie, where he is a Roman Centurion. Meh. One of the 3 women in the film had had her tongue cut out, so she definitely couldn't talk to anyone! Also, classic use of the rape of a woman to motivate the actions of the men in the movie. Would have been a better movie if it had been about her getting revenge, or something, but nope, she was just a tool. B=N

12. Sense and Sensibility- Thompson, Rickman, Grant. This movie is so very good. B=Y
13. Hail, Ceasar- Very Coen-y, was super fun. I loved the movie-within-a-movie conceit. B=N

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2016, 10:14:48 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● The Wrong Trousers
2 ● Vacation
3 ● Life Stinks
4 ● The Irish Pub
5 ● Disco: Spinning the Story
6 ● Fantastic 4
7 ● A LEGO Brickumentary
8 ● Noah
9 ● Swordfish
10 ● Rob the Mob
11 ● Gone in 60 Seconds
12 ● Time out of Mind
13 ● Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
14 ● Catwoman
15 ● Across the Universe
16 ● Notting Hill
17 ● Wild Card
18 ● Ex Machina
19 ● The Words
20 ● Sicario
21 ● Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
22 ● Ted 2
23 ● Calendar Girls
24 ● Inside Out
25 ● V for Vendetta
26 ● Experimenter
27 ● The Abominable Bride
28 ● Butterfly
29 ● Blow Out
30 ● Mistress America
31 ● Minions
32 ● Sleeping with Other People
33 ● Adult Beginners
34 ● The Martian
35 ● Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
36 ● The Prestige
37 ● Tokyo Fiancée
38 ● Snowpiercer
39 ● Amy
40 ● Mr Holmes
41 ● Ricki and the Flash
42 ● Margarita, with a Straw
43 ● The Intern
44 ● No Escape
45 ● Heist
46 ● The Forger
47 ● A Walk in the Woods
adding
48 ● Freeheld
I adore that movies like this are being made about miscarriages of justice, legal, moral or otherwise. Julianne Moore is phenomenal in the lead role
49 ● Bridge of Spies
Fantastic stuff. The period is perfectly displayed, the acting and direction sublime. The subject matter merely highlights the fact that America has always been "frightened" of something. Itself mainly.
50 ● The Details
The darkest comedy you've never heard of. Amazon Prime, watch it. And that my 50 for 2016 I suppose. By February 9th. *gulp*
51 ● Spectre
Skyfall was everything this wasn't. A couple of good action sequences - the Bond 'rites of passage' - but the movie was hampered by a go nowhere script and an ending so predictable Stevie Wonder could've seen it coming. I'll reiterate what other people have said too, Craig looked 'bored' in the role, in fact everybody seemed to be just going through the motions. Oh and the title song is pants and as insipid as the script.
52 ● Game|Change
Rewatched to remind myself that in 8-years the GOP learned nothing - n.o.t.h.i.n.g - about the kinds of characters they out up for election on the national stage. Same circus car, different clowns
53 ● The Fifth Element
The Guardians of the Galaxy of its generation
54 ● Project Almanac
Time travel bollocks
55 ● MI-5
Movie of (to me) much loved British spy series turns out to be disappointing
56 ● Inception
Blu-Ray didn't make me understand it any more than I did first time round, but it sure looked fantastic
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:38:46 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »

New to me in bold.

1. Hateful 8
2. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
3. The Abominable Bride
4. Tomorrowland
5. Spy

6. Kung Fu Panda 3 - Silly and fun.  Kate Hudson is wasted, but then, what else was she doing?  Worth the $5 By-Jo ticket price.

7. Hail, Ceasar! - Not gonna be in the top five of the Coen Brothers' canon, but still awesome.  The individual narratives were all great.  Channing Tatum is the next Gene Kelly.

8. Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief - I knew enough about Scientology going in to know that its members are nutjobs, but now that I have a clearer picture of L. Ron Hubbard, and his protege David Miscavige (whom I knew nothing about) I'm blown away.  How is this even a thing?  The description of the prison complex for the "Sea Org" people?  Just... wow!
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »

1. THE HATEFUL 8 – 01/01/16 – AMC Pkwy Pointe – The Tarantino movie for which I have been waiting. I loved it and can’t wait to see it again (in 70MM hopefully).
2. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY – 01/02/16 – cable – Never read the books. It was fine enough as a movie to pass some time. Can’t see why anyone would ever fall in love with these characters. But, it wasn’t mind numbingly awful either.
3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.
4. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD – 01/04/16 – cable – I’ve never read this Thomas Hardy book but I enjoyed the film adaptation. There is one of the worst animal death scenes that I have ever seen on film in the first 10 minutes. EEK. But, I reminded myself that it was just a movie and focused on the pretty suitors instead. Brand new lady b0ne for Matthias Schoenarts.
5. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE - 01/09/16 - Netflix - Has there ever been a more annoying cry baby man child on the big screen than Liberty Valance?
6. SPOTLIGHT - 01/16/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I enjoyed Keaton and Ruffalo. Didn't have the ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN vibe that I was hoping for.
7. THE MECHANIC - 01/17/16 - MGM channel - The one with Charlie Bronson and Jan Michael Vincent. Great beginning and ending. Some good stuff in the middle. The soundtrack, cars, and decor are SOOOOOOOOOO early 70s.
8. THE REVENANT - 01/23/16 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - A beautiful movie. I'll never look at trees the same way again.
9. ENTOURAGE - 01/23/16 - HBO - So at the complete opposite side of the "artsy" scale we have this movie, which is about what you would expect from an ENTOURAGE movie. The Thierry Henry cameo was funny (all .5 seconds of it).
10. THE DUFF - 01/30/16 - dvd from library - This was fun. Better than I thought it was going to be. Also, it was filmed here in Atlanta and I had no clue. Mae Whitman is the cutest.
12. MICHAEL JACKSON'S JOURNEY FROM MOTOWN TO OFF THE WALL - 02/06/16 - Showtime - This was a lot of fun. I was dancing along as I watched this documentary. Great commentary and wonderful clips of a young Michael talking about his career and artistry before that got all muddled up with the other stuff in his life. Loved seeing the live performances from that era. No controversies here. Spike said that wasn't the movie he wanted to make and leaves that to someone else if they want to take it up.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »

Movies seen in 2016 (new movies in bold):
1. A Walk Among The Tombstones
2. Sicario

3. Die Hard
4. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
5. Brian's Song

6. Road House

Pain don't hurt.

What a silly movie. Half of it doesn't even make sense. And the hero ends up killing people - weird hero, right? And how is it that there are NO COPS whatsoever for the whole movie...until the final scene? It's one or the other: the police are present or they are completely absent. Because showing up for the final scene is idiotic if you're going to let the whole town watch someone destroy a car dealership on purpose and not do anything about it. (Or blow up two different buildings.)

Still...that love interest was SMOKING hot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:27:00 PM by Dan »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31   Go Up