Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2016...  (Read 23048 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2016...
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »

1. The Hateful Eight - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Sisters - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
3. The Danish Girl - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
4. Point Break - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
5. Cape Fear (1962) - TCM
6. Lamb - AMC Newport on the Levee
7. The Odd Couple (1968) - TCM
8. The Long, Long Trailer (1953) - TCM
9. The Revenant - Cinemark Oakley
10. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Sounder (1969) - TCM
12. Mustang - Regal Belltower (Ft. Myers, FL)
13. The Caine Mutiny (1954) - TCM
14. Anomalisa - Esquire Theater
15. The More, The Merrier (1943) - TCM
16. Theeb - Esquire Theater
17. The Finest Hours - Cinemark Oakley
18. Hearts and Minds (1974) - TCM
19. In the Courtyard (France 2015) - DVD
20. A Nun's Story (1959) - TCM
21. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) - TCM
22. The Pope's Toilet (Colombia 2007) - DVD
23. And The Oscar Goes To... - TCM
24. Carol - Esquire Theater
Updating the past week (bold seen in the theater)

25. Days and Nights (DVD)
26. 45 Years (Mariemont Theater)
27. Remember (2016 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival - Carnegie Theater)
28. Mad Max Fury Road (DVD)
29. Look At us Now, Mother! (2016 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival - Cinemark Oakley)
30. Victor "Young" Perez (2016 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival - Cinemark Oakley)

45 Years is the movie everyone knows of from the stellar and Oscar-nominated performance by Charlotte Rampling. Why the equally thrilling performance of Tom Courtenay (Rampling's husband in the movie) is not talked about, is a mystery to me. Anyway, great little movie about the mysteries of keeping a 45 year old marriage going strong (or not).

Some great movies at the 2016 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival, none more so than Remember, a Holocaust-related thriller directed by Atom Egoyan (yes, he of Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter), and starring an amazing performance by Christopher Plummer, now a crisp 86 years young, playing a Holocaust survivor and suffering mild dementia, but determined to track down the German Nazi officer who killed his family in Auschwitz, now living somewhere in the US. I won't say anymore, other than there were repeated gasps from the audience during the screening. The movie gets a wider theatrical release in March. See it if you have a chance, you won't regret it.

Repeat viewing of the latest Mad Max confirms what an unbelievable movie this is, but also brings home how much you lose by watching it on the small screen, as opposed to the big screen.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »

45 Years is the movie everyone knows of from the stellar and Oscar-nominated performance by Charlotte Rampling.

Yep, everyone.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »

Movies seen in 2016 (new movies in bold):
1. A Walk Among The Tombstones
2. Sicario

3. Die Hard
4. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
5. Brian's Song

6. Road House
7. Eragon

The redheaded princess magician whatever character is still a dream character for me. Didn't realize it until now but it's the same actress who plays Jill Valentine in the Resident Evil films so that's fun. I am more in love with her character in this film though.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2016, 12:32:47 PM »

I've decided to use the Bechdel Test this year as part of my reviews. The test requires two named female characters to have a conversation about something other than a man. It's evidently harder than you'd think. I'm not going out of my way to do feminist-only films or anything, just watching as I normally do (blockbusters, rom coms, dramas, etc) Bechdel will be indicated with B=Y or N.
1. The Abominable Bride- Banter! Martin Freeman! Benderpants Cumbersnoodle! It made me happy, while it was not perfect, I had no problem with it. (B=N)
2. Sisters- I laughed, a whole lot. And John Cena is now in the list of "Oh, he's in that movie? Maybe I will see it" because he stole every scene he's in. (B=Y- it better!)
3. Zoolander- this is still so funny. I remember seeing it in the theater with Ella, and we were almost the only ones there- noone else I knew liked it or was interested in it. (B=Y)
4. Galaxy Quest- Alan Rickman! Sob! Such a good movie. (B=N)
5. The Right Kind of Wrong- Netflix. Watched purely because of Ryan Kwanten. He needs a better agent. (B=N)
6. An Ideal Husband- Oscar Wilde was a brilliant writer who's words still hold up 100 years later (B= Y)
7. Clear and Present Danger- Meh. It's a bit dated at this point. (B= N)
8. Save the Date Lizzy Caplan, Allison Brie are the main characters, and sisters! And they barely have a conversation not about Lizzy's relationship status. I talk to both of my sisters about many things besides men. Booo! This could have been a much better movie, but it was way too Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Needed a better script. B=Y, but barely.
9. Ant Man Part of the Marvel machine. Was not as fun as Guardians of the Galaxy. Really pissed off at how Judy Greer's character was non-existent in the movie. She was Rudd's ex-wife! Primary caretaker for his daughter, and doesn't have the conversations about his parenting with him? Grr. B=N
10. American Ultra - started off fun, then became predictable. Connie Britton's hair is still amazing. B=N
11. Centurion 2010 Michael Fassbender movie, where he is a Roman Centurion. Meh. One of the 3 women in the film had had her tongue cut out, so she definitely couldn't talk to anyone! Also, classic use of the rape of a woman to motivate the actions of the men in the movie. Would have been a better movie if it had been about her getting revenge, or something, but nope, she was just a tool. B=N
12. Sense and Sensibility- Thompson, Rickman, Grant. This movie is so very good. B=Y
13. Hail, Ceasar- Very Coen-y, was super fun. I loved the movie-within-a-movie conceit. B=N
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- the fight scenes in this movie are so good. Amazing choreography. And I just like Cap so much. B=N

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »

I've decided to use the Bechdel Test this year as part of my reviews. The test requires two named female characters to have a conversation about something other than a man. It's evidently harder than you'd think. I'm not going out of my way to do feminist-only films or anything, just watching as I normally do (blockbusters, rom coms, dramas, etc) Bechdel will be indicated with B=Y or N.
1. The Abominable Bride- Banter! Martin Freeman! Benderpants Cumbersnoodle! It made me happy, while it was not perfect, I had no problem with it. (B=N)
2. Sisters- I laughed, a whole lot. And John Cena is now in the list of "Oh, he's in that movie? Maybe I will see it" because he stole every scene he's in. (B=Y- it better!)
3. Zoolander- this is still so funny. I remember seeing it in the theater with Ella, and we were almost the only ones there- noone else I knew liked it or was interested in it. (B=Y)
5. The Right Kind of Wrong- Netflix. Watched purely because of Ryan Kwanten. He needs a better agent. (B=N)
6. An Ideal Husband- Oscar Wilde was a brilliant writer who's words still hold up 100 years later (B= Y)
8. Save the Date Lizzy Caplan, Allison Brie are the main characters, and sisters! And they barely have a conversation not about Lizzy's relationship status. I talk to both of my sisters about many things besides men. Booo! This could have been a much better movie, but it was way too Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Needed a better script. B=Y, but barely.
9. Ant Man Part of the Marvel machine. Was not as fun as Guardians of the Galaxy. Really pissed off at how Judy Greer's character was non-existent in the movie. She was Rudd's ex-wife! Primary caretaker for his daughter, and doesn't have the conversations about his parenting with him? Grr. B=N
10. American Ultra - started off fun, then became predictable. Connie Britton's hair is still amazing. B=N
11. Centurion 2010 Michael Fassbender movie, where he is a Roman Centurion. Meh. One of the 3 women in the film had had her tongue cut out, so she definitely couldn't talk to anyone! Also, classic use of the rape of a woman to motivate the actions of the men in the movie. Would have been a better movie if it had been about her getting revenge, or something, but nope, she was just a tool. B=N
12. Sense and Sensibility- Thompson, Rickman, Grant. This movie is so very good. B=Y
13. Hail, Ceasar- Very Coen-y, was super fun. I loved the movie-within-a-movie conceit. B=N
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- the fight scenes in this movie are so good. Amazing choreography. And I just like Cap so much. B=N

15. Casablanca- no, I'd never seen it, and didn't get the big deal about it until now- it still holds up decades after its release. Had no idea "As Time Goes By" was such an integral part of the movie. Much more diverse cast than I expected, Bergman is luminous, Sam needed more screentime, and holy moly! Those people talk fast. I needed closed captioning for the first 10 minutes! Incredible movie. B=N
16. Deadpool- the opposite end of the spectrum from Casablanca. I laughed, it was irreverent, and the movie Ryan Reynolds has wanted to make for years, and the movie he should have been making. Thoroughly enjoyed, and I hope the Blu-ray has loads of alternative takes. B=N

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »

2. Sicario

3. Die Hard
5. Brian's Song

6. Road House
7. Eragon
8. Pitch Perfect 2
9. Deadpool
10. Hail, Caesar!
11. Spy

Pitch Perfect 2 was basically the perfect comedy. I laughed (A LOT) and that's the point, and I didn't care at ALL how predictable it was. There was a joke a minute and everyone seemed like they were having fun. I wish I had seen it in the theaters just so I could have given them my money so as to encourage more fun comedies like this.

Deadpool was awesome. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I recommend everyone (who is not a child) to see it! I didn't even realize it was from Fox until I read a review afterward. I am impressed.

Hail, Caesar! was very Coen-y, like v_v says above. I didn't like it, but I don't like Coen Bros stuff. I mean, I enjoyed seeing all the actors that I knew in bit parts, so that was fun. And the set-tastic sets were fabulous, so that was neat too. I really liked Josh Brolin's character as well. But the story wasn't anything (for me) so I didn't like it. But I saw it b/c the wife wanted to and I drag her to a TON of films she doesn't like so I owed her this.

Spy was a funny in parts, too slapstick/unfunny in parts. Silly characters, beautiful sets, actors we like but the slapstick stuff annoyed us.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:07:07 PM by Dan »

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2016, 10:53:49 PM »

Let's see if I can do this, although I think I've already forgotten one. I only list new to me movies:

1. Sherlock: The Abominable Bride (PBS)
2. The Second Best Marigold Hotel (DVR)
3. Your Sister's Sister (Netflix)
4. Boy Meets Girl (Netflix)
5. The African Queen (DVR) - Bogart and Hepburn filmed by John Huston.
6. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (IMAX) - Third time, this time on the giant IMAX

also known as rcc94

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2016, 08:46:02 AM »

1. Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - 8
2. Foxcatcher - 6
3. Big Hero 6 - 8
4. Two Days, One Night - 7
5. Creep - 7
6. For Your Consideration - 6
7. The Martian - 7
8. Kingsman: The Secret Service - 9
9. Room - 10

10. Seven Psychopaths - 6

How meta is too meta?  THIS.  Some great scenes in here, but some really stupid crap too.  Sam Rockwell tries hard, but his character really just makes no sense in the last half of the movie.

11. The End of the Tour - 6

Watched this on the second half of my flight into LAX, and it was SUPER-LATE and I fell asleep during parts of the last 20 minutes... and still don't feel like I missed that much.  Jason Segel was really good, and Eisenberg was Eisenberg.

12. Sicario - 8

Suffers a bit towards the end, and I really didn't like how they handled Emily Blunt's partner character... but a really tense, satisfying drug crime thriller overall that ends with a bit of a whimper.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »

Hail, Caesar! was very Coen-y, like v_v says above. I didn't like it, but I don't like Coen Bros stuff. I mean, I enjoyed seeing all the actors that I knew in bit parts, so that was fun. And the set-tastic sets were fabulous, so that was neat too. I really liked Josh Brolin's character as well. But the story wasn't anything (for me) so I didn't like it. But I saw it b/c the wife wanted to and I drag her to a TON of films she doesn't like so I owed her this.

The Josh Brolin character was probably my least favorite part! I would have enjoyed him very much in another movie on the topic, just not a Coen brothers movie.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● The Wrong Trousers
2 ● Vacation
3 ● Life Stinks
4 ● The Irish Pub
5 ● Disco: Spinning the Story
6 ● Fantastic 4
7 ● A LEGO Brickumentary
8 ● Noah
9 ● Swordfish
10 ● Rob the Mob
11 ● Gone in 60 Seconds
12 ● Time out of Mind
13 ● Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
14 ● Catwoman
15 ● Across the Universe
16 ● Notting Hill
17 ● Wild Card
18 ● Ex Machina
19 ● The Words
20 ● Sicario
21 ● Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
22 ● Ted 2
23 ● Calendar Girls
24 ● Inside Out
25 ● V for Vendetta
26 ● Experimenter
27 ● The Abominable Bride
28 ● Butterfly
29 ● Blow Out
30 ● Mistress America
31 ● Minions
32 ● Sleeping with Other People
33 ● Adult Beginners
34 ● The Martian
35 ● Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
36 ● The Prestige
37 ● Tokyo Fiancée
38 ● Snowpiercer
39 ● Amy
40 ● Mr Holmes
41 ● Ricki and the Flash
42 ● Margarita, with a Straw
43 ● The Intern
44 ● No Escape
45 ● Heist
46 ● The Forger
47 ● A Walk in the Woods
48 ● Freeheld
49 ● Bridge of Spies
50 ● The Details
51 ● Spectre
52 ● Game|Change
53 ● The Fifth Element
54 ● Project Almanac
55 ● MI-5
56 ● Inception
adding
57 ● Learning to Drive
Definitely falls into the category of "why was it made/how was it greenlit" but this tale of driving instructor Ben Kingsley and his errant pupil entertained enough without seeming "wow"
58 ● Dark Star: H.R.Giger's World
Like many other people 'of my age' I first became aware of Giger's work when he did the album sleeve for ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery" in the early 70's. I then bought Necronomicon (or however you spell it) and a couple of other art books, long before he went stratospheric with his design for "Alien"
59 ● ReDirected
Cheap British gangster movie - set in Lithuania - starring Vinnie Jones. Yes, STARRING Vinnie Jones. 'Nuff said
60 ● Jurassic World
If only the gigantasaurus (or whatever the fuck it was called) had killed the kids. This would've been a much better - shorter - movie.
61 ● Everest
Visually impressive, but very 'plodding' and actually quite dull
62 ● Wild
For whatever reason, I REALLY liked this. I liked the "thinking out loud" moments Witherspoon expressed, enjoyed the vignette style of film-making and the way that, unlike movies of a similar ilk (Walk in the Woods for example) it didn't concentrate on the negativity and 'anguish' of achieving such a feat of endurance. Instead it was mainly positive in tone and felt very uplifting. I thought - wrongly - in advance that I would hate this but instead it was a very welcomed surprise indeed
63 ● Bed Scenes
French short (w/English subtitles). 7 mediocre stories about percy filth
64 ● Margin Call
Jeremy Irons as a badass corporate owner. Kevin Spacey as a badass trader. Loads of good supporting actors. And Demi Moore.
65 ● Straight Outta Compton
Terrific. Simply terrific.
66 ● Burnt
Bradley Cooper plays a tortured chef who makes good. Like many other chef movies really. Some great shots of London though
67 ● Kung Fury
30 minutes of hilarity. Just watch it! (Netflix)
68 ● The Drop
Weirdly captivating mobster drama(Netflix)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:33:53 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »

I found Hail, Caesar! to be one of my least favorite Coen Brothers movie,m and certainly one of the ost, if not THE most forgettable movie from them.

When the end credits started rolling, tellingly the guy sitting next to me says to his wife: "what was the point of this movie?", and the answer of course is that there is no real point to the movie. Just a nostalgic look at Hollywood's golden age (already in decline by then, of course). It just didn't resonate with me, and now 5 days later, I feel even less positive about the movie.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »

2. Sicario

3. Die Hard
5. Brian's Song

6. Road House
7. Eragon
8. Pitch Perfect 2
9. Deadpool
10. Hail, Caesar!
11. Spy
12. Inside Out

Enjoyable look at what could be going on inside one's brain. The wife was very concerned about the "sadness" character and hating how it might portray the importance of being happy all the time. She was pleased with the result.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »

Everybody on Randomville needs to watch "Kung Fury" on Netflix. 30 minutes of silly comedy gold.
Opulence. I has it.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2016, 11:27:37 PM »

15. Casablanca- no, I'd never seen it, and didn't get the big deal about it until now- it still holds up decades after its release. Had no idea "As Time Goes By" was such an integral part of the movie. Much more diverse cast than I expected, Bergman is luminous, Sam needed more screentime, and holy moly! Those people talk fast. I needed closed captioning for the first 10 minutes! Incredible movie. B=N
16. Deadpool- the opposite end of the spectrum from Casablanca. I laughed, it was irreverent, and the movie Ryan Reynolds has wanted to make for years, and the movie he should have been making. Thoroughly enjoyed, and I hope the Blu-ray has loads of alternative takes. B=N
17. 2016 Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts Not for kids, yet they were in the theater. C'mon, parents! My favorite was a wordless Russian short.
18. Until We Go Chris Evans's directorial debut. It was OK, felt very much like a play- even staged that way to some degree. Not a deep movie by any stretch, but harmless and a good beginning.  B=N

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2016, 07:54:40 AM »

1. Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - 8
2. Foxcatcher - 6
3. Big Hero 6 - 8
4. Two Days, One Night - 7
5. Creep - 7
6. For Your Consideration - 6
7. The Martian - 7
8. Kingsman: The Secret Service - 9
9. Room - 10
10. Seven Psychopaths - 6
11. The End of the Tour - 6
12. Sicario - 8

13. Deadpool - 7

Refreshed the superhero genre for me a bit, but there were so many jokes that fell flat, it was a little ridiculous.  Yes, there were some where I laughed quite a lot, but so many others that I found stupid.  Yes, we took the boys.  Yes, c-fan attempted to cover Ethan's eyes during the strip club scene.  Yes, Alex covered his own eyes during it.

14. Raising Arizona

15. Cartel Land - 8

The story of 2 citizen vigilante groups who are fighting against Mexican drug cartels, Cartel Land suffers a bit from one of its subjects being massively more interesting than the other.  It is worth the time for the story about the Mexican Autodefensas who are attempting to take back the state of Michoacan from the Knights Templar drug cartel.  Scenes of physical danger intersperse with scenes of inspiration as a local doctor helps lead the locals in taking back their towns from terrorization from the cartel.  However, the story of inspiration turns political and becomes complicated rather quickly.  The Autodefensas story by itself would be a 10.  Worth your time if you are a documentary fan.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31   Go Up