Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2016...  (Read 22150 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2016...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »

I guess I'll give this a shot this year, but I'll probably lose track in a month.

New to me in bold.

1. Hateful 8 - I'm sure this will engender some disbelief, but I didn't like it.  Overly long and excruciatingly slow.  I actually fell asleep during one of the talkier sections.  I also didn't enjoy being assaulted with the "N word" every five seconds.  I'm not the PC police but it was gratuitous for the sake of being gratuitous, and I have no respect for that where that particular word is concerned.  It was not unavoidable, and did not increase the quality of the film, nor did it help the story telling.  On the other hand Walton Goggins was pretty freakin' amazing, but isn't he always?

2. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:53:25 AM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »

On the other hand Walton Goggins was pretty freakin' amazing, but isn't he always?
HELL YES. He was made to spit QT's dialogue. No doubt.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 04:17:20 PM »

3. SISTERS – 01/03/16 – Merchant’s Walk with my Belles and va_vacious – This movie gave me the giggles. There were moments that were too over the top (Paula Pell’s scene is THE WORST and I adore her usually), but I still laughed and laughed. Had heart when it needed to have heart. Also, Dianne Wiest says “c*untingly”. So, there’s that.

And while I had an icee (I HAD to!) I managed to not slurp during quiet, introspective scenes! Go, me! :) (Lando will continue to see movies with me, I hope!)
Well done! I forgot you had an Icee until I read this post. But, I think we filled all silences with laughter. Hence, no silence and no time for loud slurping.
YOU ARE NOT BANNED.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »

1. Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - 8

Haunting HBO documentary that is basically just following some 20-something heroin users (and dealers) in Cape Cod, which is mirroring a lot of the suburban US with its rampant heroin use and crime revolving around it.  Does a really good job explaining how some of these kids get sucked into using, the path out, and why it's so hard to actually follow that path... and what the human cost is in lives, money, and relationships.  Highly recommended if you have even just a passing interest in the subject matter.  Also a lot of needle use, so if you are squeamish about needles (which I am), be prepared to avert your eyes a lot.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »

YOU ARE NOT BANNED.

Yaaaayyyy! Double feature of Deathpool and 2oolander on Feb 12! (or something)

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »

1. Heroin: Cape Cod, USA - 8

I just watched that a couple days ago and woke up in the middle of the night unable to stop thinking about Marissa.  The way she described the isolation of addiction will stick with me for quite a while, I suspect.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »

1- muscle shoals- well that was fantastic.  i've been privy to the background but didn't understand the importance.  what a revelation
2- blue ruin- a revenge flick.  i didn't know that before hand otherwise i probably would have still watched it.  upon first glance, i thought, ok, an innocuous drifter.  right up my alley.  and then the revenge kicks in. 
3- exit through the gift shop- is banksy like, the world's biggest rockstar?  mr brainwash is comic, full of life, completely fearless, and quite possibly not as naive as he appears.  but he isn't genuine to street art (like i know shit about it) but perhaps he isn't trying to be.  when they showed folks showcasing their street art next to their picasso's or what have you, that was never something that was intended to be sold for profit.  it isn't a tangible thing, but who am i to tell people what they can collect
poach eggs, not elephants

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »

Blue Ruin was GREAT.  So was Exit.  I guess the jury is still out on whether or not Mr. Brainwash is a real thing, but he's still out there doing stuff last I heard.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 08:08:45 AM »

I've never even heard of BLUE RUIN. Putting it on the list.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 08:13:04 AM »

Lando - aren't you SO EXCITED to come to a NYC movie screening sometime with me?!?
:-)
How about we skip the movie watching and just take walking tours of the city? You can point out all of the crosswalks and signage you want. :)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »

Blue Ruin was GREAT.  So was Exit.  I guess the jury is still out on whether or not Mr. Brainwash is a real thing, but he's still out there doing stuff last I heard.

i certainly didn't think blue ruin was great.  it kept me watching though.  all the rave reviews will have me second guessing.  there was potential for a complete mind fuck.  i possibly missed something about that boy

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »

Mr Brainwash not real?  i'm not heavily involved in the arts scene

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 09:20:07 AM »

Movies seen in 2016 (new movies in bold):
1. A Walk Among The Tombstones
2. Sicario

Wow that was intense. And not really what I expected. Fortunately the shock value factor was only in the opening scenes - after that it was a little more tame. Well told, good acting, powerful stuff, a small reveal, and generally a well made film. I know euro60 thought it was the best of the year - I don't know about that...I'd have to think about it. But it's good for sure.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 04:54:53 PM »

New (to me) films in bold

1 ● The Wrong Trousers
2 ● Vacation
3 ● Life Stinks
4 ● The Irish Pub
5 ● Disco: Spinning the Story
6 ● Fantastic 4
7 ● A LEGO Brickumentary
8 ● Noah
9 ● Swordfish
10 ● Rob the Mob
11 ● Gone in 60 Seconds
12 ● Time out of Mind
13 ● Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
14 ● Catwoman
15 ● Across the Universe
16 ● Notting Hill
adding
17 ● Wild Card
Jason Statham kicks is regular movie arse in Vegas setting
18 ● Ex Machina
SciFi hokum wherein a female robot's boobs disconcertingly change size through the movie. Like a BAD Black Mirror script. Should've abandoned it. Didn't.
19 ● The Words
I couldn't work out if this story about literary theft was supposed to be a romantic tale, a mystery or what. It grabbed me a little, not a lot
20 ● Sicario
Good, not great. Some nice performances. I thought the third act dragged a little and seemed to wind the tension down
21 ● Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Blu-Ray. Yeah Baby. So many good gags.
22 ● Ted 2
The law of diminishing returns undoubtedly applies here. Laughs definitely unabundant
23 ● Calendar Girls
I was inspired to revisit this thanks to a recent storyline in BBC Radio's longtime drama series "The Archers". Very enjoyable and fun. Plus Helen Mirren and her "charms"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:13:57 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »

Let's see if I can do this, although I think I've already forgotten one. I only list new to me movies:

1. Sherlock: The Abominable Bride (PBS)
2. The Second Best Marigold Hotel (DVR)
also known as rcc94
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Up