Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2016  (Read 3130 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Books in 2016
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2016, 08:14:23 AM »

1. "Fangirl" - Rainbow Rowell - I think I've turned into a Rainbow Rowell fangirl. Sigh.
2. "The Overlook" - Michael Connelly - That was an abrupt ending.
3. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" - Benjamin Alire Saenz - This was a beautiful coming of age story. Didn't hurt that I listened to the audiobook narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. I've enjoyed spending a week with him in my car.
4. "Martini Man: The Life of Dean Martin" - William Schoell - I'm sure that there are much better biographies than this one for Dino's life. I learned a few things, but I don't think that this author interviewed many important people in Dean's life. He seemed to put more effort into the movie reviews than anything else. Even the photos were second or third tier. Ended up skimming most of the book. Meh.
5. "Clever Girl" - Tessa Hadley
6. "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener" - M.C. Beaton (audiobook) - Thought I'd give this series one more go and I regret it. At least it was an audiobook.
7. "The Clasp" - Sloane Crosley
8. "The Bottoms" - Joe R. Lansdale - This is my first time reading anything by Lansdale and I'm ashamed of myself. GOOD, good stuff here. This book was "To Kill a Mockingbird" with a Stephen King twist to me.
9. "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" - David Sedaris (audiobook) - David goes a little dark there at the end with the short essays that aren't autobiographical. I can see why this book received some harsh reviews. But, it was mostly my cup of tea.
10. "The Drop" - Michael Connelly (audiobook) - Just felt like spending some time with Harry Bosch again even though I've already read this one. Good traffic companion and traffic has been SHIT lately.
11. "Blonde Faith" - Walter Mosley - the Easy Rawlins book that comes before "Little Green". Somehow I had missed this one. Not enough Mouse.
12. "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" - Walter Mosley (audiobook) - This is not an Easy Rawlins book. Somehow, I had never heard of this Mosley character, Socrates Fortlow. He's a complicated cat as detailed in these short stories. Loved the voice of the narrator.
13. "Modern Romance" - Aziz Ansari - Interesting and funny, though I did end up skimming some sections. Recommended to my friend who is struggling now with online dating. If you're in that boat, it's probably an encouraging read.
14. "Saint Mazie" - Jami Attenberg
“We all lose sometimes. Life’s plenty easy when you’re winning. It’s what you do when you’re down. That’s the real test.”
15. "The Crossing" - Michael Connelly - What will Harry Bosch do now that he is really retired from the LAPD? Help his half-brother, Mickey Haller, of course.
16. "Guilt by Association" - Marcia Clark - Not bad, Clark. I do hate this character's relationship with food. It was something that struck me as super annoying EVERY TIME she brought it up. A weird thing to pick as a character trait. But, the cases were interesting enough to keep me reading.
17. "My Mother Was Nuts" - Penny Marshall - A fun read. Lots of stuff I never knew!
18. "The Brightest Star in the Sky" - Marian Keyes - This was the first time I've read one of her books. But, she seems to be popping up in my FB feed and the main character in ME BEFORE YOU was reading one of her books in the movie.
19. "Necessary Lies" - Diane Chamberlain - I don't remember how I came across this book, but it was definitely interesting. Historical fiction that spins around the Eugenics program in NC in the 60s. This book got me all fired up about reproductive rights for sure.
20. "Yes, Please" - Amy Poehler (audiobook) - Special guest readers are Kathleen Turner, Seth Meyers, Carol Burnett, Patrick Stewart, and Amy's parents. Good stuff. Never knew she was such a pot head. Loved her suggested titles for helpful books about divorce.
21. "Everybody Rise" - Stephanie Clifford - If you think of social climbing as an addiction, this might be the book for you.
22. "Two Summers" - Aimee Friedman - SLIDING DOORS for the teen set. I enjoyed it.
23. "The Passenger" - Lisa Lutz - I will always be unhappy that her newest book isn't a new Spellman book but I will always be happy that she keeps putting out any books every year or so. She's my kind of curmudgeon. I was afraid this would get to be too "Gone Girl" or "Girl on the Train" or whatever. But, she walked that fine line on the right side.
24. "Career of Evil" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - Better mystery in this one, but too much emphasis on the two main characters and their whole will they/won't they dynamic. I've already seen MOONLIGHTING. Just solve the cases.
25. "Wonder" - R.J. Palacio - A lovely YA read about choosing kindness. I love the world of characters that this author created.
25 1/2. "The Julian Chapter" - R.J. Palacio - Hardly worth counting if you go by number of pages. But, I love that even the bully got to tell his side of the story (even if his grandmother's story was the heart of the chapter).
26. "Everyone Brave is Forgiven" - Chris Cleave - War is a motherfucker.
27. "The Alchemist" - Paulo Coelho
28. "The Royal We" - Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan - A re-imagining of sorts of the courtship of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge if Kate had been an American. Didn't think it would be my thing, but it is perfectly written as a smart rom-com and it was a lot of fun to read.
29. "The Vinyl Detective Mysteries - Written in Dead Wax: A Vinyl Detective Mystery" - Andrew Cartmel - I thought this book, about a  record collector (of the charity shop, crate-digging variety) who is offered a large sum of money to help a woman find a highly collectible jazz album in London, was a very fun read. I immediately fell in love with the main character (and his adorable kitties) and can't wait to read the next installment. Apparently the author was the script doctor for DOCTOR WHO for a few years - if that's your thing.
30. "Not My Father's Son: A Memoir" - Alan Cumming - I had always loved Alan's episode of WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE. This memoir adds a very dramatic and moving layer to his experience during the filming of that show. Also, he's just lovely.
31. "You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom" - Phil Rosenthal - I just adore Phil and wanted to spend some time with him. Some good stories in here, but nothing deep.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2016, 09:04:38 AM »

1- the heart of darkness/ the secret sharer- joseph conrad
2- blacking up; the minstrel show in 19th century america- robert c toll
3- the subterraneans/ pic- jack kerouac     
4-  judgement of paris: california v france and the historic 1976 paris tasting that revolutionized wine- george m. taber
5- tao te ching- lao tzu
6- sex at dawn: the prehistoric origins of modern sexuality- christopher ryan and cadilda jetha
7- diary of a madman and other stories- nikolai gogol
8- wars of reconstruction- douglas egerton. 
9- bringing up bebe- pamela druckerman
10- out of my life and thought- albert schweitzer
11- p.t. barnum: america's greatest showman- the kunhardt's-
12- the virtue of selfishness- ayn rand
13- the way of zen- alan watts
14- poor folk- dostoyevsky
15- the last great walk-  wayne curtis
16- the writer's journey:  mythic structure for writers- christopher vogler
17- the arabian nights- translated by husain haddawy
18- local anesthetic- gunter grass
19- the sheltering sky- paul bowles.  Adventure!  Mayhem!  Hijinx!  Post War!  Murder!  Or was it typhoid?  How exotic
poach eggs, not elephants

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »

1. Ardennes 1944: The Battle of the Bulge - Antony Beevor
2. Krazy & Ignatz 1939-1940: A Brick Stuffed with Moom-bims - George Herriman
3. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
4. Tit For Tat and Other Latvian Folk Tales - Retold by Mae Durham
5. Gulag to Independence: Personal Accounts of Latvian Gulag Survivors - Eugene Williams
6. Walking Since Daybreak: A Story of Eastern Europe, WWII and the Heart of Our Century - Modris Eksteins
7 The Road to Little Dribbling - Bill Bryson
8. Rock Stars Stole My Life: A Big Bad Love Affair With Music - Mark Ellen
9. 1971: Never a Dull Moment - David Hepworth
10. Ramones at 40 - Martin Popoff
11. Love Wins: The Lovers and Lawyers Who Fought the Landmark Case for Marriage Equality - Debbie Cenziper and Jim Obergefell
12. Truly, Madly, Guilty - Liane Moriarty

13. Tender at the Bone - Ruth Reichl

Our December book club choice is always food-related and chosen by the resident celebrity chef in our building, Marilyn Harris, who hosts the annual book club holiday party. Last year she chose another of Reichl's books and of the two I enjoyed "Tender at the Bone" more, I think because it was biographical rather than fiction and I'm a big fan of biographies. Fiction, not so much.

The book follows the author's path of food discovery from childhood through her breakthrough to fame in the late 1970s. She knows how to tell a good tale and makes each chapter interesting, engaging and fun. As a bonus, she includes a recipe at the end of each chapter that was mentioned in each story.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2016, 04:12:30 PM »

1. "Fangirl" - Rainbow Rowell - I think I've turned into a Rainbow Rowell fangirl. Sigh.
3. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" - Benjamin Alire Saenz - This was a beautiful coming of age story. Didn't hurt that I listened to the audiobook narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. I've enjoyed spending a week with him in my car.
4. "Martini Man: The Life of Dean Martin" - William Schoell - I'm sure that there are much better biographies than this one for Dino's life. I learned a few things, but I don't think that this author interviewed many important people in Dean's life. He seemed to put more effort into the movie reviews than anything else. Even the photos were second or third tier. Ended up skimming most of the book. Meh.
6. "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener" - M.C. Beaton (audiobook) - Thought I'd give this series one more go and I regret it. At least it was an audiobook.
8. "The Bottoms" - Joe R. Lansdale - This is my first time reading anything by Lansdale and I'm ashamed of myself. GOOD, good stuff here. This book was "To Kill a Mockingbird" with a Stephen King twist to me.
9. "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" - David Sedaris (audiobook) - David goes a little dark there at the end with the short essays that aren't autobiographical. I can see why this book received some harsh reviews. But, it was mostly my cup of tea.
10. "The Drop" - Michael Connelly (audiobook) - Just felt like spending some time with Harry Bosch again even though I've already read this one. Good traffic companion and traffic has been SHIT lately.
11. "Blonde Faith" - Walter Mosley - the Easy Rawlins book that comes before "Little Green". Somehow I had missed this one. Not enough Mouse.
12. "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" - Walter Mosley (audiobook) - This is not an Easy Rawlins book. Somehow, I had never heard of this Mosley character, Socrates Fortlow. He's a complicated cat as detailed in these short stories. Loved the voice of the narrator.
13. "Modern Romance" - Aziz Ansari - Interesting and funny, though I did end up skimming some sections. Recommended to my friend who is struggling now with online dating. If you're in that boat, it's probably an encouraging read.
“We all lose sometimes. Life’s plenty easy when you’re winning. It’s what you do when you’re down. That’s the real test.”
15. "The Crossing" - Michael Connelly - What will Harry Bosch do now that he is really retired from the LAPD? Help his half-brother, Mickey Haller, of course.
16. "Guilt by Association" - Marcia Clark - Not bad, Clark. I do hate this character's relationship with food. It was something that struck me as super annoying EVERY TIME she brought it up. A weird thing to pick as a character trait. But, the cases were interesting enough to keep me reading.
17. "My Mother Was Nuts" - Penny Marshall - A fun read. Lots of stuff I never knew!
18. "The Brightest Star in the Sky" - Marian Keyes - This was the first time I've read one of her books. But, she seems to be popping up in my FB feed and the main character in ME BEFORE YOU was reading one of her books in the movie.
19. "Necessary Lies" - Diane Chamberlain - I don't remember how I came across this book, but it was definitely interesting. Historical fiction that spins around the Eugenics program in NC in the 60s. This book got me all fired up about reproductive rights for sure.
20. "Yes, Please" - Amy Poehler (audiobook) - Special guest readers are Kathleen Turner, Seth Meyers, Carol Burnett, Patrick Stewart, and Amy's parents. Good stuff. Never knew she was such a pot head. Loved her suggested titles for helpful books about divorce.
21. "Everybody Rise" - Stephanie Clifford - If you think of social climbing as an addiction, this might be the book for you.
22. "Two Summers" - Aimee Friedman - SLIDING DOORS for the teen set. I enjoyed it.
23. "The Passenger" - Lisa Lutz - I will always be unhappy that her newest book isn't a new Spellman book but I will always be happy that she keeps putting out any books every year or so. She's my kind of curmudgeon. I was afraid this would get to be too "Gone Girl" or "Girl on the Train" or whatever. But, she walked that fine line on the right side.
24. "Career of Evil" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - Better mystery in this one, but too much emphasis on the two main characters and their whole will they/won't they dynamic. I've already seen MOONLIGHTING. Just solve the cases.
25. "Wonder" - R.J. Palacio - A lovely YA read about choosing kindness. I love the world of characters that this author created.
25 1/2. "The Julian Chapter" - R.J. Palacio - Hardly worth counting if you go by number of pages. But, I love that even the bully got to tell his side of the story (even if his grandmother's story was the heart of the chapter).
28. "The Royal We" - Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan - A re-imagining of sorts of the courtship of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge if Kate had been an American. Didn't think it would be my thing, but it is perfectly written as a smart rom-com and it was a lot of fun to read.
29. "The Vinyl Detective Mysteries - Written in Dead Wax: A Vinyl Detective Mystery" - Andrew Cartmel - I thought this book, about a  record collector (of the charity shop, crate-digging variety) who is offered a large sum of money to help a woman find a highly collectible jazz album in London, was a very fun read. I immediately fell in love with the main character (and his adorable kitties) and can't wait to read the next installment. Apparently the author was the script doctor for DOCTOR WHO for a few years - if that's your thing.
30. "Not My Father's Son: A Memoir" - Alan Cumming - I had always loved Alan's episode of WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE. This memoir adds a very dramatic and moving layer to his experience during the filming of that show. Also, he's just lovely.
31. "You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom" - Phil Rosenthal - I just adore Phil and wanted to spend some time with him. Some good stories in here, but nothing deep.
32. "All the Summer Girls" - Meg Donohue - Aiiight.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »

1- the heart of darkness/ the secret sharer- joseph conrad
2- blacking up; the minstrel show in 19th century america- robert c toll
3- the subterraneans/ pic- jack kerouac     
4-  judgement of paris: california v france and the historic 1976 paris tasting that revolutionized wine- george m. taber
5- tao te ching- lao tzu
6- sex at dawn: the prehistoric origins of modern sexuality- christopher ryan and cadilda jetha
7- diary of a madman and other stories- nikolai gogol
8- wars of reconstruction- douglas egerton. 
9- bringing up bebe- pamela druckerman
10- out of my life and thought- albert schweitzer
11- p.t. barnum: america's greatest showman- the kunhardt's-
12- the virtue of selfishness- ayn rand
13- the way of zen- alan watts
14- poor folk- dostoyevsky
15- the last great walk-  wayne curtis
16- the writer's journey:  mythic structure for writers- christopher vogler
17- the arabian nights- translated by husain haddawy
18- local anesthetic- gunter grass
19- the sheltering sky- paul bowles

20- the symposium- plato.  socrates schools some punks on love.  greek homosexuality wasn't as gay as i thought it was
poach eggs, not elephants

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »

1.  Finding Audrey--Sophie Kinsella
2.  Watermelon--Marian Keyes
3.  The Treatment--Suzanne Young
4.  Jesse's Girl--Miranda Kenneally
5.  A Good Place to Hide: How One French Village Saved Thousands of Lives During World War II--Peter Grose
6.  Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children--Ransom Riggs
7.  Winter Time: Memoirs of a German Sinto who Survived Auschwitz--Walter Stanoski Winter
8.  The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B--Teresa Toten
9.  The Boy in the Black Suit--Jason Reynolds
10.  Hana's Suitcase: A True Story--Karen Levine
11.  The Weight of Feathers--Anna-Marie McLemore
12.  Bone Gap--Laura Ruby
13.  Grave Secrets--Kathy Reichs
14.  Wonders of the Invisible World--Christopher Barzak
15.  Hollow City--Ransom Riggs
16.  Finding Forever--Ken Baker
17.  In the Unlikely Event--Judy Blume
18.  NYPD Red 4--James Patterson
19.  Private Paris--James Patterson
20.  X--Ilyasah Shabazz
21.  Stones on a Grave--Kathy Kacer
22.  Tapestry of Hope: Holocaust Writing for Young People--Lillian Boraks-Nemetz
23.  Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda--Becky Albertalli
24.  As Time Goes By--Mary Higgins Clark
25.  Because You'll Never Meet Me--Leah Thomas
26.  Children of the Slaughter:  Young People of the Holocaust--Ted Gottfried
27.  Killing Cupid--Laura Levine
28.  Everything, Everything--Nicola Yoon
29.  The Porcupine of Truth--Bill Konigsberg
30.  Conviction--Kelly Loy Gilbert
31.  15th Affair--James Patterson
32.  Fading Ads of Cincinnati--Ronny Salerno
33.  All American Boys--Jason Reynolds
34.  Troublemaker--Linda Howard
35.  Remembrance--Meg Cabot
36.  The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly--Stephanie Oakes
37.  Out of Darkness--Ashley Hope Perez
38.  Lost Along the Way--Erin Duffy
39.  The Boy at the Top of the Mountain--John Boyne
40.  The True Tails of Baker and Taylor: The Library Cats Who Left Their Pawprints on a Small Town . . . and the World--Jan Louch
41.  We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement That Defied Adolf Hitler--Russell Freedman
42.  The Darkest Lie--Pintip Dunn
43.  Bullseye--James Patterson
44.  The Games--James Patterson
45.  Rose Under Fire--Elizabeth Wein
46.  First Comes Love--Emily Giffin
47.  Frost Line--Linda Howard
48.  Witness to the Holocaust--Azriel Eisenberg
49.  Library of Souls--Ransom Riggs
50.  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2--JK Rowling
51.  Woman of God--James Patterson
52.  We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation--Justine Van der Leun  ( a suggested book by Euro)
53.  Bedmates--Nichole Chase
54.  The Secrets of Lost Cats: One Woman, Twenty Posters, and a New Understanding of Love--Nancy Davidson
55.  Throw Like a Woman--Susan Petrone
56.  Missing--James Patterson
57.  Fans of the Impossible Life--Kate Scelsa
58.  Salt to the Sea--Ruth Sepetys
59.  The Sleeping Beauty Killer--Mary Higgins Clark
60.  The Cage--Ruth Minsky Sender
61.  The Whistler--John Grisham
62.  Hour of the Bees--Lindsay Eager
63.  I See You--Molly McAdams
64.  Park Scientists: Gila Monsters, Geysers, and Grizzly Bears in America's Own Backyard--Mary Kay Carson
65.  I Was There--Hans Peter Richter
66.  Two by Two--Nicholas Sparks
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »

32. "All the Summer Girls" - Meg Donohue - Aiiight.
33. "The Name of the Wind" - Patrick Rothfuss (audio book) - Took a long while to get into this book (maybe an audio book thing). But, once it sucked me in, I enjoyed it. I would never have picked this as the source material for Lin-Manuel Miranda's next big project. But, it'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

I've abandoned several books lately. Nothing seems to be grabbing me enough to keep reading it. Hopefully that will change with the stack of new books that just came in for me at the library (and the book foolsgold gifted to me for Xmas).

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2016, 10:19:04 AM »

1. Anne McCaffrey - Dragonflight
2. Lori Hope - 20 Things People With Cancer Want You To Know
3. Markus Zusak - The Book Thief
4. Mindy Kaling - Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me?
5. Bill Bryson - The Lost Continent
6. Katherine Dunn - Geek Love
7. Frank Herbert - Dune
8. Lauren Groff - Fates and Furies

Excellent! Highly recommended!
I didn't know what I was going to read about when I started this. I was often annoyed at the characters, annoyed at Groff for her writing style and her obvious love of language and the written word, and usually upset at the lack of information. I think I changed my mind at least three times regarding what I decided the book might be about. Turns out...that's all part of the fun.

Very well written and interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up