Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2016  (Read 7088 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Books in 2016
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »

I just finished reading Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, the book the HBO documentary was based on.  Highly recommended, especially if you found the film interesting.  There are so many more details about the insanity of the cult and it's leaders.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »

3. Markus Zusak - The Book Thief

This was a good story about WWII Germany told from the perspective of a poor young girl and how the war impacted her life. While I was reading it I never really cared about anyone or anything and not once did I think to myself, "hey, I wonder how they are doing" and go out of my way to read. But continue on I did and at the end I there were tears and tears and tears, so I guess the author did something right. Good for you, Zusak.
I never read the book, but I did see the big screen adaptation, a year or 2 ago? I thought the movie was okay, not great, not bad either. You should check it out at your local library. I'll be interested in your take on it.

I didn't even know there was a movie! Thanks for the heads up.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »

1- the heart of darkness/ the secret sharer- joseph conrad
2- blacking up; the minstrel show in 19th century america- robert c toll
3- the subterraneans/ pic- jack kerouac     
4-  judgement of paris: california v france and the historic 1976 paris tasting that revolutionized wine- george m. taber
5- tao te ching- lao tzu
6- sex at dawn: the prehistoric origins of modern sexuality- christopher ryan and cadilda jetha
7- diary of a madman and other stories- nikolai gogol
8- wars of reconstruction- douglas egerton. 
9- bringing up bebe- pamela druckerman

10- out of my life and thought- albert schweitzer- preacher, lecturer, author, philosopher, organ aficionado, traveling musician etc..  felt life was too easy so he became a doctor.  devoted half of his life to equatorial africa.  i felt it beautiful he spent a considerable amount of his life during two world wars.  he was having a difficult time trying to help people while the world was engage in hurting.  he won a nobel prize for his "philosophy of civilization."  he critiqued the accepted idea of christ as only being mystical/spiritual as he did hindu, that the best course of action is to die as the material world is meaningless.   he found value in the material and bounded that with the mystical/spiritual. 

for the amount he dismisses eastern thought, he had an eastern tinge to his own.  he recognized a connection with every living being.  i'd be interested in reading his work regarding hinduism. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:17:04 PM by daytime drinking »
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:02 AM »

1. "Fangirl" - Rainbow Rowell - I think I've turned into a Rainbow Rowell fangirl. Sigh.
2. "The Overlook" - Michael Connelly - That was an abrupt ending.
3. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" - Benjamin Alire Saenz - This was a beautiful coming of age story. Didn't hurt that I listened to the audiobook narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. I've enjoyed spending a week with him in my car.
4. "Martini Man: The Life of Dean Martin" - William Schoell - I'm sure that there are much better biographies than this one for Dino's life. I learned a few things, but I don't think that this author interviewed many important people in Dean's life. He seemed to put more effort into the movie reviews than anything else. Even the photos were second or third tier. Ended up skimming most of the book. Meh.
5. "Clever Girl" - Tessa Hadley
6. "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener" - M.C. Beaton (audiobook) - Thought I'd give this series one more go and I regret it. At least it was an audiobook.
7. "The Clasp" - Sloane Crosley
8. "The Bottoms" - Joe R. Lansdale - This is my first time reading anything by Lansdale and I'm ashamed of myself. GOOD, good stuff here. This book was "To Kill a Mockingbird" with a Stephen King twist to me.
9. "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" - David Sedaris (audiobook) - David goes a little dark there at the end with the short essays that aren't autobiographical. I can see why this book received some harsh reviews. But, it was mostly my cup of tea.
10. "The Drop" - Michael Connelly (audiobook) - Just felt like spending some time with Harry Bosch again even though I've already read this one. Good traffic companion and traffic has been SHIT lately.
11. "Blonde Faith" - Walter Mosley - the Easy Rawlins book that comes before "Little Green". Somehow I had missed this one. Not enough Mouse.
12. "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" - Walter Mosley (audiobook) - This is not an Easy Rawlins book. Somehow, I had never heard of this Mosley character, Socrates Fortlow. He's a complicated cat as detailed in these short stories. Loved the voice of the narrator.
13. "Modern Romance" - Aziz Ansari - Interesting and funny, though I did end up skimming some sections. Recommended to my friend who is struggling now with online dating. If you're in that boat, it's probably an encouraging read.
14. "Saint Mazie" - Jami Attenberg
“We all lose sometimes. Life’s plenty easy when you’re winning. It’s what you do when you’re down. That’s the real test.”
15. "The Crossing" - Michael Connelly - What will Harry Bosch do now that he is really retired from the LAPD? Help his half-brother, Mickey Haller, of course.
16. "Guilt by Association" - Marcia Clark - Not bad, Clark. I do hate this character's relationship with food. It was something that struck me as super annoying EVERY TIME she brought it up. A weird thing to pick as a character trait. But, the cases were interesting enough to keep me reading.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 11:54:06 PM »

1.  Finding Audrey--Sophie Kinsella
2.  Watermelon--Marian Keyes
3.  The Treatment--Suzanne Young
4.  Jesse's Girl--Miranda Kenneally
5.  A Good Place to Hide: How One French Village Saved Thousands of Lives During World War II--Peter Grose
6.  Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children--Ransom Riggs
7.  Winter Time: Memoirs of a German Sinto who Survived Auschwitz--Walter Stanoski Winter
8.  The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B--Teresa Toten
9.  The Boy in the Black Suit--Jason Reynolds
10.  Hana's Suitcase: A True Story--Karen Levine
11.  The Weight of Feathers--Anna-Marie McLemore
12.  Bone Gap--Laura Ruby
13.  Grave Secrets--Kathy Reichs
14.  Wonders of the Invisible World--Christopher Barzak
15.  Hollow City--Ransom Riggs
16.  Finding Forever--Ken Baker
17.  In the Unlikely Event--Judy Blume
18.  NYPD Red 4--James Patterson
19.  Private Paris--James Patterson
20.  X--Ilyasah Shabazz
21.  Stones on a Grave--Kathy Kacer
22.  Tapestry of Hope: Holocaust Writing for Young People--Lillian Boraks-Nemetz
23.  Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda--Becky Albertalli
24.  As Time Goes By--Mary Higgins Clark
25.  Because You'll Never Meet Me--Leah Thomas
26.  Children of the Slaughter:  Young People of the Holocaust--Ted Gottfried
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2016, 02:36:12 PM »

1. "Fangirl" - Rainbow Rowell - I think I've turned into a Rainbow Rowell fangirl. Sigh.
3. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" - Benjamin Alire Saenz - This was a beautiful coming of age story. Didn't hurt that I listened to the audiobook narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. I've enjoyed spending a week with him in my car.
4. "Martini Man: The Life of Dean Martin" - William Schoell - I'm sure that there are much better biographies than this one for Dino's life. I learned a few things, but I don't think that this author interviewed many important people in Dean's life. He seemed to put more effort into the movie reviews than anything else. Even the photos were second or third tier. Ended up skimming most of the book. Meh.
6. "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener" - M.C. Beaton (audiobook) - Thought I'd give this series one more go and I regret it. At least it was an audiobook.
8. "The Bottoms" - Joe R. Lansdale - This is my first time reading anything by Lansdale and I'm ashamed of myself. GOOD, good stuff here. This book was "To Kill a Mockingbird" with a Stephen King twist to me.
9. "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" - David Sedaris (audiobook) - David goes a little dark there at the end with the short essays that aren't autobiographical. I can see why this book received some harsh reviews. But, it was mostly my cup of tea.
10. "The Drop" - Michael Connelly (audiobook) - Just felt like spending some time with Harry Bosch again even though I've already read this one. Good traffic companion and traffic has been SHIT lately.
11. "Blonde Faith" - Walter Mosley - the Easy Rawlins book that comes before "Little Green". Somehow I had missed this one. Not enough Mouse.
12. "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" - Walter Mosley (audiobook) - This is not an Easy Rawlins book. Somehow, I had never heard of this Mosley character, Socrates Fortlow. He's a complicated cat as detailed in these short stories. Loved the voice of the narrator.
13. "Modern Romance" - Aziz Ansari - Interesting and funny, though I did end up skimming some sections. Recommended to my friend who is struggling now with online dating. If you're in that boat, it's probably an encouraging read.
“We all lose sometimes. Life’s plenty easy when you’re winning. It’s what you do when you’re down. That’s the real test.”
15. "The Crossing" - Michael Connelly - What will Harry Bosch do now that he is really retired from the LAPD? Help his half-brother, Mickey Haller, of course.
16. "Guilt by Association" - Marcia Clark - Not bad, Clark. I do hate this character's relationship with food. It was something that struck me as super annoying EVERY TIME she brought it up. A weird thing to pick as a character trait. But, the cases were interesting enough to keep me reading.
17. "My Mother Was Nuts" - Penny Marshall - A fun read. Lots of stuff I never knew!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »

17. "My Mother Was Nuts" - Penny Marshall - A fun read. Lots of stuff I never knew!
18. "The Brightest Star in the Sky" - Marian Keyes - This was the first time I've read one of her books. But, she seems to be popping up in my FB feed and the main character in ME BEFORE YOU was reading one of her books in the movie.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »

4-  judgement of paris: california v france and the historic 1976 paris tasting that revolutionized wine- george m. taber
5- tao te ching- lao tzu
6- sex at dawn: the prehistoric origins of modern sexuality- christopher ryan and cadilda jetha
10- out of my life and thought- albert schweitzer

11- p.t. barnum: america's greatest showman- the kunhardt's- this is what ayn rand is talking about.  three fires to his museum's that any one of which would have shattered one financial, personally, spiritually.  but he shrugged them all off.  even a disastrous land speculation deal which ruined him.  just shrugged it off.  he was like a steve jobs.  he knew what we wanted.  and he was the most successful person in the world in his era.  his most genius ploy was to procure some commodity legally, completely legit.  say it's an elephant named jumbo (which is the origin of that word), and spread word through the london press that you practically stole it.  nobody in london cared too much about this elephant.  it was a monster.  but after word spread that pt barnum, this yankee, had swindled the owners, a sensation was born.  marketing at it's best. 

but of course in those numerous fires, train derailments, not many of his animals made it.  but the law was on his side shockingly, against animal advocacy groups.  fuck his flaws, the man was brilliant

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2016, 12:55:36 PM »

5- tao te ching- lao tzu
10- out of my life and thought- albert schweitzer
11- p.t. barnum: america's greatest showman- the kunhardt's-

12- the virtue of selfishness- ayn rand.  mo' cold hard trufs fo' yo' commie ass.  of course, what a title!  but of course, it wasn't meant to be attention grabbing.  if you bother to read any of her work, you'll understand where she's coming from, the title won't be as incendiary.  maybe the title isn't offensive to you, it has been for a few of my friends.  "that bitch," they say.  don't bother reading it.  just hate her abstractly.  your worldly views won't start to bleed.  the chapter on racism is dead on.  now, she would probably dismiss me today, it's probably better you hate your fans. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »

"... racism is much more prevalent among the poor white trash than among their intellectual betters."

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 03:16:45 PM »

"... racism is much more prevalent among the poor white trash than among their intellectual betters."

i'm sure it's hard to qualify, but is it not more likely than not true? 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2016, 10:54:40 AM »

i'm sure it's hard to qualify, but is it not more likely than not true?

It's racist and classist as fuck.  How does that sentence make any sense in the context of Rand's contempt for "collectivism?"

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2016, 04:19:37 PM »

i was taken back a bit when she said "poor white trash."  but isn't it more likely to find bigots and racists among the less educated? 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »

That's not really the point.

The book is not a socioeconomic study of the characteristics of poor or uneducated people.  Rand thinks that shit is for liberal losers.  It's a (horribly bad) philosophical/metaphysical treatise.

Think about the whole point of the book.  It's to reject collectivism, which is the subjugation of the individual to the group-- whether that group is based on class, race, or whatever.

Rand's attempted point is that racism is just one form of collectivism, and collectivism in any form is bad.  And yet she lumps people into groups willy-nilly.  More so than even the average weak, liberal loser.  So she's being a total hypocrite there.

Moreover, her attempted point in that specific chapter is to say that racism follows from collectivism.  In other words if you think in terms of groups at all, you will inevitably become racist.

Except that there are plenty of people who are not "objectivist" who aren't at all racist and think it is stupid.  I'm guessing that all of us fall in that category.  And it's because the problem with grouping people by race isn't the fact that you grouped them, but rather that you grouped them STUPIDLY.  There's no scientific or logical reason to believe that blacks are stupid or lazy, or whatever.

Conversely, most racists are not like "Gee, I need to subjugate myself to the needs of the group.  Therefore, as a white guy I will regretfully accept property and riches as a self-sacrifice."  See what I'm saying? 

She says she is above collectivism, yet she stereotypes like a mofo.  Other people are not above collectivism, yet they don't stereotype less than she does.  So how does collectivism lead to racism/classism, etc.?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:50:52 PM by Zafer Kaya »

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »

possibly that it allows racism to perpetuate?  it's the argument against affirmative action i feel is what she's going after.  the individual must sacrifice for society as if a cure all.  she's saying, the moment you make a decision based on race, you're a racist. 

kudos to you and your memory.  i had to dig thru notes to remember shit

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up