Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2016  (Read 7946 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: 50 Books in 2016
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »

Still missing the point.

Why is Rand talking about "blacks," "poor", "white," "communists" etc. in the first place?  She's grouping people into a collective instead of treating them as individuals and thus violating her own principles. 

What gives her the right to characterize a group of blacks at a sit-in as a collective group campaigning for collective rights, instead of a bunch of individual Rosa Parks who are just don't feel like sitting on the back of the bus?

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »

1. "Fangirl" - Rainbow Rowell - I think I've turned into a Rainbow Rowell fangirl. Sigh.
2. "The Overlook" - Michael Connelly - That was an abrupt ending.
3. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" - Benjamin Alire Saenz - This was a beautiful coming of age story. Didn't hurt that I listened to the audiobook narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. I've enjoyed spending a week with him in my car.
4. "Martini Man: The Life of Dean Martin" - William Schoell - I'm sure that there are much better biographies than this one for Dino's life. I learned a few things, but I don't think that this author interviewed many important people in Dean's life. He seemed to put more effort into the movie reviews than anything else. Even the photos were second or third tier. Ended up skimming most of the book. Meh.
5. "Clever Girl" - Tessa Hadley
6. "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener" - M.C. Beaton (audiobook) - Thought I'd give this series one more go and I regret it. At least it was an audiobook.
7. "The Clasp" - Sloane Crosley
8. "The Bottoms" - Joe R. Lansdale - This is my first time reading anything by Lansdale and I'm ashamed of myself. GOOD, good stuff here. This book was "To Kill a Mockingbird" with a Stephen King twist to me.
9. "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" - David Sedaris (audiobook) - David goes a little dark there at the end with the short essays that aren't autobiographical. I can see why this book received some harsh reviews. But, it was mostly my cup of tea.
10. "The Drop" - Michael Connelly (audiobook) - Just felt like spending some time with Harry Bosch again even though I've already read this one. Good traffic companion and traffic has been SHIT lately.
11. "Blonde Faith" - Walter Mosley - the Easy Rawlins book that comes before "Little Green". Somehow I had missed this one. Not enough Mouse.
12. "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" - Walter Mosley (audiobook) - This is not an Easy Rawlins book. Somehow, I had never heard of this Mosley character, Socrates Fortlow. He's a complicated cat as detailed in these short stories. Loved the voice of the narrator.
13. "Modern Romance" - Aziz Ansari - Interesting and funny, though I did end up skimming some sections. Recommended to my friend who is struggling now with online dating. If you're in that boat, it's probably an encouraging read.
14. "Saint Mazie" - Jami Attenberg
“We all lose sometimes. Life’s plenty easy when you’re winning. It’s what you do when you’re down. That’s the real test.”
15. "The Crossing" - Michael Connelly - What will Harry Bosch do now that he is really retired from the LAPD? Help his half-brother, Mickey Haller, of course.
16. "Guilt by Association" - Marcia Clark - Not bad, Clark. I do hate this character's relationship with food. It was something that struck me as super annoying EVERY TIME she brought it up. A weird thing to pick as a character trait. But, the cases were interesting enough to keep me reading.
17. "My Mother Was Nuts" - Penny Marshall - A fun read. Lots of stuff I never knew!
18. "The Brightest Star in the Sky" - Marian Keyes - This was the first time I've read one of her books. But, she seems to be popping up in my FB feed and the main character in ME BEFORE YOU was reading one of her books in the movie.
19. "Necessary Lies" - Diane Chamberlain - I don't remember how I came across this book, but it was definitely interesting. Historical fiction that spins around the Eugenics program in NC in the 60s. This book got me all fired up about reproductive rights for sure.
20. "Yes, Please" - Amy Poehler (audiobook) - Special guest readers are Kathleen Turner, Seth Meyers, Carol Burnett, Patrick Stewart, and Amy's parents. Good stuff. Never knew she was such a pot head. Loved her suggested titles for helpful books about divorce.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »

Still missing the point.

Why is Rand talking about "blacks," "poor", "white," "communists" etc. in the first place?  She's grouping people into a collective instead of treating them as individuals and thus violating her own principles. 

What gives her the right to characterize a group of blacks at a sit-in as a collective group campaigning for collective rights, instead of a bunch of individual Rosa Parks who are just don't feel like sitting on the back of the bus?

i knew you wouldn't let me off that easy.   :) 

well, i'm sure this is just going to annoy you.  those are your words, correct?  you're suggesting that people rallying together for their freedom is what she would call collectivism?  she might have said or alluded to that.  i'm not going to pretend i can speak on her behalf.  she might be and probably is a hypocrite.  but i think you're being petty here considering what else she had to say. 

poach eggs, not elephants

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »

His point is that it's all bullshit.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2016, 03:54:31 PM »

you're suggesting that people rallying together for their freedom is what she would call collectivism? 

I'm suggesting that Rand characterizes things however she wants.

Like when she suggested that the mass genocide of Native Americans was necessary because THEY were all racist.  See, the Native Americans had this idea that the land belonged to them by virtue of their culture or heritage and having been on it first or something.  Which essentially made them racists.  Also, they liked to commune with nature and save it for future generations which is very collectivist.  All they were doing on it was a bit of hunting, maybe planting a few crops.  Even though there was copper and timber to be had at great profits.  So they were looters, too.

Whereas the White Europeans would generate the most profit out of the land, and that profit would go to the most Galti-est of individuals, and thus a higher state of being could be achieved.  It was therefore their moral duty to destroy the Native Americans, otherwise the looters win.

And the evidence of our actions being justified was the ease by which we slaughtered them.  And that everyone lives longer and listens to better music like Rachmaninoff.  The stronger and more enlightened beings survived.

Now you might think that okay, maybe Rand got this one wrong but there's nothing wrong with her philosophy.  I'm just shooting the messenger.

Except the problem is, her philosophy directly leads to this kind of thinking.

Basically it's Rand's contention that racism and most other evils exist because we are too tolerant of those who think differently than us.  They are wrong, and we should stamp them out but fail to do so.

I feel like racism and most other evils exists because there are too many intolerant assholes like Rand who think that anyone who thinks differently than them are wrong and need to be stamped out.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »

she doesn't carry as much weight with me as she used to and it has nothing to do with what she says.  it's what i take from it.  you can't choose your audience.  you can cater for sure, but what's that about?  original thought provoking original thought.  you gotta admit she was a revolutionary.  i'm not sidetracking.  you are more versed in her work than i am (what does that say about you?   :)).  through no effort of your own, this is the last book i'm going to read of hers.  it was interesting hearing her speak outside of characters but i found her novels too much fun.  you weren't supposed to say those things.  people are flawed.  that's the most you can expect from them.  what philosopher is right? 

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »

1. "Fangirl" - Rainbow Rowell - I think I've turned into a Rainbow Rowell fangirl. Sigh.
3. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" - Benjamin Alire Saenz - This was a beautiful coming of age story. Didn't hurt that I listened to the audiobook narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. I've enjoyed spending a week with him in my car.
4. "Martini Man: The Life of Dean Martin" - William Schoell - I'm sure that there are much better biographies than this one for Dino's life. I learned a few things, but I don't think that this author interviewed many important people in Dean's life. He seemed to put more effort into the movie reviews than anything else. Even the photos were second or third tier. Ended up skimming most of the book. Meh.
6. "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener" - M.C. Beaton (audiobook) - Thought I'd give this series one more go and I regret it. At least it was an audiobook.
8. "The Bottoms" - Joe R. Lansdale - This is my first time reading anything by Lansdale and I'm ashamed of myself. GOOD, good stuff here. This book was "To Kill a Mockingbird" with a Stephen King twist to me.
9. "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" - David Sedaris (audiobook) - David goes a little dark there at the end with the short essays that aren't autobiographical. I can see why this book received some harsh reviews. But, it was mostly my cup of tea.
10. "The Drop" - Michael Connelly (audiobook) - Just felt like spending some time with Harry Bosch again even though I've already read this one. Good traffic companion and traffic has been SHIT lately.
11. "Blonde Faith" - Walter Mosley - the Easy Rawlins book that comes before "Little Green". Somehow I had missed this one. Not enough Mouse.
12. "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" - Walter Mosley (audiobook) - This is not an Easy Rawlins book. Somehow, I had never heard of this Mosley character, Socrates Fortlow. He's a complicated cat as detailed in these short stories. Loved the voice of the narrator.
13. "Modern Romance" - Aziz Ansari - Interesting and funny, though I did end up skimming some sections. Recommended to my friend who is struggling now with online dating. If you're in that boat, it's probably an encouraging read.
“We all lose sometimes. Life’s plenty easy when you’re winning. It’s what you do when you’re down. That’s the real test.”
15. "The Crossing" - Michael Connelly - What will Harry Bosch do now that he is really retired from the LAPD? Help his half-brother, Mickey Haller, of course.
16. "Guilt by Association" - Marcia Clark - Not bad, Clark. I do hate this character's relationship with food. It was something that struck me as super annoying EVERY TIME she brought it up. A weird thing to pick as a character trait. But, the cases were interesting enough to keep me reading.
17. "My Mother Was Nuts" - Penny Marshall - A fun read. Lots of stuff I never knew!
18. "The Brightest Star in the Sky" - Marian Keyes - This was the first time I've read one of her books. But, she seems to be popping up in my FB feed and the main character in ME BEFORE YOU was reading one of her books in the movie.
19. "Necessary Lies" - Diane Chamberlain - I don't remember how I came across this book, but it was definitely interesting. Historical fiction that spins around the Eugenics program in NC in the 60s. This book got me all fired up about reproductive rights for sure.
20. "Yes, Please" - Amy Poehler (audiobook) - Special guest readers are Kathleen Turner, Seth Meyers, Carol Burnett, Patrick Stewart, and Amy's parents. Good stuff. Never knew she was such a pot head. Loved her suggested titles for helpful books about divorce.
21. "Everybody Rise" - Stephanie Clifford - If you think of social climbing as an addiction, this might be the book for you.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2016, 11:11:27 PM »

1.  Finding Audrey--Sophie Kinsella
2.  Watermelon--Marian Keyes
3.  The Treatment--Suzanne Young
4.  Jesse's Girl--Miranda Kenneally
5.  A Good Place to Hide: How One French Village Saved Thousands of Lives During World War II--Peter Grose
6.  Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children--Ransom Riggs
7.  Winter Time: Memoirs of a German Sinto who Survived Auschwitz--Walter Stanoski Winter
8.  The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B--Teresa Toten
9.  The Boy in the Black Suit--Jason Reynolds
10.  Hana's Suitcase: A True Story--Karen Levine
11.  The Weight of Feathers--Anna-Marie McLemore
12.  Bone Gap--Laura Ruby
13.  Grave Secrets--Kathy Reichs
14.  Wonders of the Invisible World--Christopher Barzak
15.  Hollow City--Ransom Riggs
16.  Finding Forever--Ken Baker
17.  In the Unlikely Event--Judy Blume
18.  NYPD Red 4--James Patterson
19.  Private Paris--James Patterson
20.  X--Ilyasah Shabazz
21.  Stones on a Grave--Kathy Kacer
22.  Tapestry of Hope: Holocaust Writing for Young People--Lillian Boraks-Nemetz
23.  Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda--Becky Albertalli
24.  As Time Goes By--Mary Higgins Clark
25.  Because You'll Never Meet Me--Leah Thomas
26.  Children of the Slaughter:  Young People of the Holocaust--Ted Gottfried
27.  Killing Cupid--Laura Levine
28.  Everything, Everything--Nicola Yoon
29.  The Porcupine of Truth--Bill Konigsberg
30.  Conviction--Kelly Loy Gilbert
31.  15th Affair--James Patterson
32.  Fading Ads of Cincinnati--Ronny Salerno
33.  All American Boys--Jason Reynolds
34.  Troublemaker--Linda Howard
35.  Remembrance--Meg Cabot
36.  The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly--Stephanie Oakes
37.  Out of Darkness--Ashley Hope Perez
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »

21. "Everybody Rise" - Stephanie Clifford - If you think of social climbing as an addiction, this might be the book for you.
22. "Two Summers" - Aimee Friedman - SLIDING DOORS for the teen set. I enjoyed it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »

1. Anne McCaffrey - Dragonflight
2. Lori Hope - 20 Things People With Cancer Want You To Know
3. Markus Zusak - The Book Thief
4. Mindy Kaling - Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me?
5. Bill Bryson - The Lost Continent

Kaling's book was ho-hum. Charming in spots, but nothing much worth discussing.

Bryson's book was easily the most boring of the three I've read from him (Notes from a Small Island; A Walk in the Woods - both fantastic). It's from 1987-1988 and he's traveling around the USA in a car. I felt like it was an interesting book from a historical point of view about the way the country was in the late 80s and what was on people's minds, but other than that it's more about seeing how Bryson's writing wasn't just quite there yet. He gets better later in life, and there are snippets of his brilliance in this, but I honestly didn't care much for what he focused on and the stuff he talked about.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »

1- the heart of darkness/ the secret sharer- joseph conrad
2- blacking up; the minstrel show in 19th century america- robert c toll
3- the subterraneans/ pic- jack kerouac     
4-  judgement of paris: california v france and the historic 1976 paris tasting that revolutionized wine- george m. taber
5- tao te ching- lao tzu
6- sex at dawn: the prehistoric origins of modern sexuality- christopher ryan and cadilda jetha
7- diary of a madman and other stories- nikolai gogol
8- wars of reconstruction- douglas egerton. 
9- bringing up bebe- pamela druckerman
10- out of my life and thought- albert schweitzer
11- p.t. barnum: america's greatest showman- the kunhardt's-
12- the virtue of selfishness- ayn rand

13- the way of zen- alan watts.  more of an introduction into eastern thought than his own words.  i'm lucky to have people to discuss this with

14- poor folk- dostoyevsky.  his first novel.  very short.  the book is a collection of letters sent between an elderly man and a young woman of which he is the benefactor of, albeit a terrible one 

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »

22. "Two Summers" - Aimee Friedman - SLIDING DOORS for the teen set. I enjoyed it.
23. "The Passenger" - Lisa Lutz - I will always be unhappy that her newest book isn't a new Spellman book but I will always be happy that she keeps putting out any books every year or so. She's my kind of curmudgeon. I was afraid this would get to be too "Gone Girl" or "Girl on the Train" or whatever. But, she walked that fine line on the right side.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »

23. "The Passenger" - Lisa Lutz - I will always be unhappy that her newest book isn't a new Spellman book but I will always be happy that she keeps putting out any books every year or so. She's my kind of curmudgeon. I was afraid this would get to be too "Gone Girl" or "Girl on the Train" or whatever. But, she walked that fine line on the right side.
24. "Career of Evil" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - Better mystery in this one, but too much emphasis on the two main characters and their whole will they/won't they dynamic. I've already seen MOONLIGHTING. Just solve the cases.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2016, 11:08:39 AM »

24. "Career of Evil" - Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) - Better mystery in this one, but too much emphasis on the two main characters and their whole will they/won't they dynamic. I've already seen MOONLIGHTING. Just solve the cases.
25. "Wonder" - R.J. Palacio - A lovely YA read about choosing kindness. I love the world of characters that this author created.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:28 PM »

25. "Wonder" - R.J. Palacio - A lovely YA read about choosing kindness. I love the world of characters that this author created.
25 1/2. "The Julian Chapter" - R.J. Palacio - Hardly worth counting if you go by number of pages. But, I love that even the bully got to tell his side of the story (even if his grandmother's story was the heart of the chapter).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up