Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Abandoned Movies in 2016  (Read 3904 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Abandoned Movies in 2016
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »

BLACK MASS - Booooooooooooooooooooooring.
Say what? I thought that was quite good. Easily the best movie Depp has done in YEARS (which of course isn't saying much). I can see one would not like the movie (too violent), but to call it boring, I don't get it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 04:09:24 PM »

The story was already well known and there were no surprising angles left to be played for entertainment value.
I thought it just plodded along. It was clunky. I didn't like their choice for using testimony to present the narration of the movie.
Too many "Oh, that guy!" moments in casting, though I did think that Rory Cochrane was almost unrecognizable (and easily the 2nd best performance in the movie).
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »

1. The Lobster - There's nothing like a good dark comedy, and this is nothing like a good dark comedy. The trailer has all the good bits. We didn't even get halfway -- barely enjoying anything we were seeing -- before being assaulted by two horrific images I could have gone my whole live without. I just don't have the stomach for over-the-top cruelty. If you like Game of Thrones you might like this garbage.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 11:54:26 AM »

1. The Assassin.

This is a foreign film about a 9th century girl who is trained to become an assassin in the (I forget which? Ming? Han?) dynasty in China. I suspect that I had Netflix mail this to me because I was looking at the nominations for best foreign film or something like that and it sounded awesome. And it still sounds awesome.

Except that I couldn't get past 15 minutes. At first it was in black and white, but then it was in color. Then there were scenes where the camera lingered for 10 seconds for no reason. The characters could barely speak to each other and they had no sense of interaction. I was bored and was hating art-house film at the moment.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »

The Revenant

Not even close to my cup of tea. Or glass of whisky. I could see that the opening "battle" shot was impressive cinematically but ultimately of no interest to me.

btw, I have abandoned MANY other movies since February (my last post in the this thread) but have kept forgetting to flag them up as shit.
Opulence. I has it.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 09:29:49 PM »

The Revenant

Not even close to my cup of tea. Or glass of whisky. I could see that the opening "battle" shot was impressive cinematically but ultimately of no interest to me.

btw, I have abandoned MANY other movies since February (my last post in the this thread) but have kept forgetting to flag them up as shit.

i watched that on an airline with the shitty earphones they give you and was miserable the entire time, but i couldn't tear myself away.  tom hardy fuckin' rocked.  the scenery was more than enough for me
poach eggs, not elephants

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 09:30:26 PM »

1. The Lobster - There's nothing like a good dark comedy, and this is nothing like a good dark comedy. The trailer has all the good bits. We didn't even get halfway -- barely enjoying anything we were seeing -- before being assaulted by two horrific images I could have gone my whole live without. I just don't have the stomach for over-the-top cruelty. If you like Game of Thrones you might like this garbage.

I hated this movie! If I hadn't seen it in the theater, it would have been abandoned probably when you did.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 01:29:58 PM »

I hated this movie! If I hadn't seen it in the theater, it would have been abandoned probably when you did.
Preach. If we were watching the dvd I would have ripped it out of the player and chucked it into traffic.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 09:15:44 AM »

Preach. If we were watching the dvd I would have ripped it out of the player and chucked it into traffic.
I don't get the hate for this movie. I absolutely loved it. Weird? sure. But quirky and original, and completely off the beaten track. We should get more movies like this. Plus Rachel Weisz. 'Nuff said.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 10:32:29 AM »

I don't get the hate for this movie. I absolutely loved it. Weird? sure. But quirky and original, and completely off the beaten track. We should get more movies like this. Plus Rachel Weisz. 'Nuff said.
I'm generally very fond of odd movies -- Harold & Maude, Wes Anderson flicks, etc -- but the humor in this one, except for what was included in the trailer, didn't work for me at all. Add on top of that the murdered dog and the failed suicide attempt, both of which were just too realistic for me. I love Rachel Weisz, but 40 minutes in and she hadn't even appeared yet, unless you count her voice as the occasional narrator. I didn't find this movie "quirky," just cruel. But again, I don't like Game of Thrones, another production I just find to be cruel more than anything else. Reality is cruel enough, I don't need it in my entertainment.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 11:49:14 AM »

The NY Times agrees with you, euro.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/31/movies/summer-movie-indie-hits.html

When I saw that list I started thinking that I needed to see those movies, but then I saw The Lobster and questioned their taste based on everyone's comments here. Of course, I hate "black comedies" so I wouldn't see it anyway.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 12:12:36 PM »

I also agree with Euro about The Lobster. I don't really watch a lot of films but I absolutely LOVED The Lobster and consider it one of the few newer films that I would rewatch.

I can't really say I'd rewatch the director's earlier film "Dogtooth," which Shiv recommended to me after he and I had a big lovefest chat about The Lobster one night. While Dogtooth and The Lobster both have unique and interesting stories, I didn't care as much for the acting in Dogtooth - and I have a feeling some of the subtleties got lost in translation.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 12:58:57 PM »

The NY Times agrees with you, euro.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/31/movies/summer-movie-indie-hits.html

When I saw that list I started thinking that I needed to see those movies, but then I saw The Lobster and questioned their taste based on everyone's comments here. Of course, I hate "black comedies" so I wouldn't see it anyway.
Thanks for posting that link, Dan. As it happens, I've seen all-but-one of those 7 films (the lone exception being "Southside With You", which I have zero interest in seeing).

I would readily recommend 5 of the other 6. The one I don't feel strongly about is the latest Woody Allen, Café Society. Not that it is 'bad' per se, but it isn't anywhere near as compelling as the other 5. "Captain Fantastic" is the best of the bunch. In my order of preference:

1. Captain Fantastic
2. The Lobster
3. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
4. Indignation
5. Love & Friendship
6. Café Society

A couple more recent indie-films not on the NYT list that I would readily recommend:

Swiss Army Man
Wiener-Dog
Sing Street

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 01:33:45 PM »

Ethan is a little obsessed with Sing Street.  He has been listening to the soundtrack a lot on Spotify, and has told me he's buying it via streaming when he gets this week's allowance.

I did like it, but not nearly as much as he did.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:36:16 PM by Butter »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »

I liked Sing Street and can see how someone Ethan's age would be really into it. CR and I thought it was like an updated Gregory's Girl but with music instead of football.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up