Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fountain Square Music Festival--Indianapolis  (Read 456 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Fountain Square Music Festival--Indianapolis
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »

Friday March 25 and Saturday March 26, 2016

www.fountainsquaremusicfest.org

Check out the lineup:  Thurston Moore Group, Jad Fair, Andrew W.K., many others.

Fountain Square in Indy is an entire neighborhood, not a plaza.  I saw a show there in 2010 at Radio Radio.  The neighborhood is an older one that's making a comeback.  It looks like all five venues are within walking distance of one another. 

No schedule yet--they seem to take coyness lessons from Bunbury.  But in response to an email I sent him, Jad Fair says he thinks he'll be playing both nights, and that there will also be an exhibition of his art.  I haven't seen Half Japanese in ages and have never seen Jad as a solo act so I might be going on the 26th.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Fountain Square Music Festival--Indianapolis
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:36:41 PM »

This is interesting. I saw a show at Radio Radio years ago. Don't remember off the top of my head who I saw there, I'll have to look it up.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:49:16 PM »

I've been there a couple of times. Duke Spirit and White Rabbits. Nice little place.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »

The festival's Facebook page says the full lineup and schedule will be announced on February 15.  Hopefully single day passes will be available then.

The show I saw at Radio Radio was Webb Wilder.  IMHO, Webb is the best straight forward rock and roller around.  I don't think he's capable of putting on a bad show but the show I saw in Indy was incredible.  Webb has a lot of loyal fans but the Indy crowd was really into it, and Webb and band really fed off their energy.  A great gig.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 09:55:45 AM »

Friday March 25 and Saturday March 26, 2016

www.fountainsquaremusicfest.org

Check out the lineup:  Thurston Moore Group, Jad Fair, Andrew W.K., many others.

Fountain Square in Indy is an entire neighborhood, not a plaza.  I saw a show there in 2010 at Radio Radio.  The neighborhood is an older one that's making a comeback.  It looks like all five venues are within walking distance of one another. 

No schedule yet--they seem to take coyness lessons from Bunbury.  But in response to an email I sent him, Jad Fair says he thinks he'll be playing both nights, and that there will also be an exhibition of his art.  I haven't seen Half Japanese in ages and have never seen Jad as a solo act so I might be going on the 26th.

The full schedule--or at least most of it--can be found by clicking on the link, then clicking on Schedule for the main shows on Friday and Saturday evening, and by clicking on Activities for the free stages and other events happening earlier on both days.

The Saturday night lineup at the Fountain Square Theatre--Thurston Moore Band, Yonatan Gat, Surfer Blood, etc., is especially impressive.  But other than a couple of cryptic emails on the festival's Facebook page, no mention is made of Jad Fair, the artist I'm most interested in.  Jad will be at the Indiana Museum Of Contemporary Art (iMOCA) both nights from 5:00 PM until midnight displaying his artwork, and will play a set of music each evening there at 8:00 PM.  What's frustrating is that I have exchanged emails with both the festival's organizer and the director of iMOCA, and neither person will give me a straight answer as to whether the iMOCA show is free or if you need a one or two day pass to the festival.  Since admission to iMOCA is usually free, seeing Jad is likely free as well.  They probably don't want to tell me, thinking I'll skate into town to see Jad without buying a pass.  Well...true, but only because the festival is on Easter weekend, and I probably can't stay until the end.  I might have to try to block out time to attend the entire festival next year, though--especially if they still have the opportunity for VIP pass holders to attend the live sessions at Joyful Noise Recordings. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »

A lot of names on there that I don't recognize...

Would love to see Surfer Blood again, though. But not worth driving to Indy for.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »

You might have heard of Thurston Moore.  He was in an obscure little band called Sonic Youth  ;)

I would be interested in seeing Thurston's band, but probably not this weekend.   It seems they have played everywhere but Cincinnati.  I saw Sonic Youth at Blowgart's in 1990 and thought their performance was perfunctory that evening.  But I've liked what I've seen of live footage of Thurston and crew on youtube. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 01:04:01 PM »

I saw Sonic Youth at Blowgart's in 1990 and thought their performance was perfunctory that evening. 

I was there...  ;)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »

I saw Sonic Youth at Blowgart's in 1990 and thought their performance was perfunctory that evening. 

I was there...  ;)

x3
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »

I was there...  ;)

x3
If either of you gave me the "I'm a stranger so bugger off but hey it's cool and let's be friends in a quarter century when we all hang out on Randomville" sign, I totally missed that.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 07:00:22 PM »

Uh, I recall giving no such sign.  I mainly recall a then-current WAIF dj standing around looking as disappointed in the show as I was.

Pages: [1]   Go Up