Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV Shows in 2016  (Read 7114 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: New TV Shows in 2016
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2017, 01:34:26 PM »

As has been said elsewhere, the season finale definitely pays off the time invested.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »

As Kwyjibo said, the season finale made it all worthwhile. But what I like is that fact it isn't a sitcom with just a new scenario every week. I liked the fact that there was an overarching storyline that moved forward. That to me made it much more enjoyable than most comedies that just have an episode every week and maybe some background character stuff that goes from week to week.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:09 PM »

The Good Place starts soon.  Soooooo excited
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »

They did a good job in the finale.  I didn't think it was all that shocking but that's really a compliment to the show.  I would have been disappointed if it had just happened out of nowhere. 

I have to think anyone who has read No Exit would have seen it coming.  The setup is pretty similar and there were nods to it throughout.  The clown art, for example.

They dropped enough hints to tease that turn, but I still didn't know exactly how it would be revealed or to what degree it would change things.  And even with everything getting shaken up, everyone remained likeable.  That's how the show gets by, really.  Everyone is just so likeable.  Kristen Bell and Ted Danson especially are perfect in their roles.  It could so easily suck if they hadn't gotten those two.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2017, 01:27:11 AM »

I'm rewatching The Good Place, and it's better the second go round, since I know what is coming. The Architect is brilliantly malevolent.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2017, 07:51:34 AM »

Am I the only one here who watches Bojack Horseman?  If so, why?

I'm through the first 2 seasons.  Starting season 3... soon!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »

I'm rewatching The Good Place, and it's better the second go round, since I know what is coming. The Architect is brilliantly malevolent.

I am so happy with season two so far. 

Also, the fake restaurant names have been amazing.  I don't know which is my favorite, "Beignet and the Jets" or "You Do the Hokey Gnocchi and You Get Yourself Some Food."

http://uproxx.com/tv/good-place-restaurant-signs-ranked/3/
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »

A Little Bit Chowder Now
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »

Sushi and the Banshees was clearly the best.

Or Chicken Soup for the Mouth.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2017, 04:39:04 PM »

Sushi and the Banshees was clearly the best.

Or Chicken Soup for the Mouth.
Fuckers stole my drunken joke from years ago when me and my mate were in Vegas. We saw a Sushi restaurant and I said "I don't like Sushi, in fact I don't like any of the Banshees either". I say it pretty much every time we see a Sushi restaurant when out and about. Lu's sick of the joke. Me, not so much
Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »

Am I the only one here who watches Bojack Horseman?  If so, why?

I'm through the first 2 seasons.  Starting season 3... soon!

Take it slow with season 3.  Itís genius on both the comedic and dramatic levels.  But there is so much going on with little nature jokes in the background and subtle tie ins to previous episodes that it is easy to get caught up in the overarching angsty storyline and miss it all.  Itís so god and so filled with stuff that it almost gets annoying because you feel like you have to watch every ep multiple times, and they are too depressing to watch more than once.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »

Take it slow with season 3.  Itís genius on both the comedic and dramatic levels.  But there is so much going on with little nature jokes in the background and subtle tie ins to previous episodes that it is easy to get caught up in the overarching angsty storyline and miss it all.  Itís so god and so filled with stuff that it almost gets annoying because you feel like you have to watch every ep multiple times, and they are too depressing to watch more than once.

I would have a hard time recommending this to anyone unless I knew they were emotionally ok.  I don't know how a depressed person or someone who has struggled with addiction could watch this and laugh at any of the background jokes after getting through some of the most emotionally devastating TV I've ever seen.  It seemed like after season 2 they weren't quite sure that they had nailed the portrait of depression, and in Season 3 we get some 10-minute plus scenes with BJ and virtually everyone in his life trying to work through their issues.

No one is happy, and no one is sure why not.  Everyone destroys everything good in their life, and again they're not sure why.  I don't know what it's like to live this way, and I'm sure glad I don't.  But for those who do, I'm not sure if this show is cathartic in some way, perhaps life-affirming for depicting what they are going through, or just piling on.

Some really great episodes in here though, from the absurd (the Game Show one) to the heartbreaking ("That's Too Much, Man!").  The episodes where Bojack arrives to his childhood lake house and then we go through his mother's past are some of the best episodes of television I've ever seen.  They really know how to do an arc on this show.

So yeah, it's definitely worth the time if you haven't gone through it, as I got through all 4 seasons in a matter of weeks.  They do try a bit too hard with the funny at times, and the Hollywood stuff is a bit too on-the-nose, but it really works.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »

I got through Season 4 okay.  It was definitely grim at points, but a lot of the grim stuff was more commentary on past times or broader topics like Hollywood politics.  The main characters were less personally involved in the bad stuff.  And in fact I would say they mostly took small steps forward in their lives.

My sister watches Bojack.  I told her not to do it as she is more pessimistic and dour than me.  Strangely though, she's fine with it.  Maybe because she is not a middle-aged male so she has some distance.  But I wonder if it's because it's an indication she is actually disturbed.  She's just like "Hahaha!  It's funny because it's so true!  Everything totally is shit, and these are bad people because people are bad!"

I guess maybe it's because I'm getting older and my peer group is less in touch with pop culture.  But for all the rave reviews that Bojack gets, me, you, and my sister are the only people I know who watch it.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »

I got through Season 4 okay.  It was definitely grim at points, but a lot of the grim stuff was more commentary on past times or broader topics like Hollywood politics.  The main characters were less personally involved in the bad stuff.  And in fact I would say they mostly took small steps forward in their lives.

I think BoJack took the biggest steps forward, while the others like Princess Caroline and Diane and Mr. PB were still trying to figure out how to tear it down before building it back up.  There was definitely more a tone of hope by the end of this season than there was at the end of S3.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »

The Good Place Pudding restaurant names

I thought I Saw a Pudding Vat
Puddington Bear
Panna Cotta Da Vida
Custard's Last Flan

Loooooove
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:33:03 AM by Juliana »
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny